Marino Cloud (Disc On The Front Update)

Canardweb

Hello,

After having made a frame myself with 6061 Aluminium, I have found out I probably made it too light because the tubes are really fragile (dented one with an allen key...) and also my welds are not the best quality ever. I penetrated too much into the tubes and that causes flex and even more fragile frame. Whenever I ride it, it flexes a hell of a lot. With pedal kicks I manage to make my rear wheel rub onto the pads that are setted 4 mm away. Also the frame isn't stiff at all and makes a frightening cracking noise.

So I decided to forget making my own frame and relying on someone I had an excellent experience with. That is Marino, of course. When I rode the Marino Comp (Panther, or phanter for those who remember), which was the first frame I had ordered from him, I hated it, but that is because I didn't rode it with a 20" stem. Trying that on my current geo works perfectly well. So what I am riding now is pure comp geometry as this is what I ride the most. It's 1100; +70; 380; 72HA with a chain fully tensioned. I decided to go for something a bit shorter, but also higherso make the reach a bit shorter, more nervous and that you can rotate faster in sections.

So I finally decided to go for 1090; +80; 375; 72.I asked for the same features (gussets, welds) than for the marino comp except for the triple seat tube which was useless considering the way I had designed it. I fully trust Marino's work now so I only sent my plan:

marino10.png

and he sent me the first photos here:

p1080910.jpg

p1080911.jpg

Update 21 May 2011

Here is the text I asked on my frame. All the text will be written in black colour.

cloud10.png

I had to change a little thing in the geo. The Chainstays will be 380 instead of 375. Not a big problem, just a bit less nervous, but more stable once on the rear wheel. Here is the frame so far:

p1120010.jpg

Update 27 May 2011

So, I had some news 3 days ago but had no time to update this stuff. So he sent me these pictures that show a nearly complete bike. It just needs gussets to be welded, brake mounts to be welded, heat treatment, and paint. That's how it is at the moment:

p1120011.jpg

Here you can see the additional welds I asked for:

p1120012.jpg

That's the rear of the frame:

p1120013.jpg

And now for the tire clearance, as you can see there is plenty!

p1120014.jpg

p1120015.jpg

And that last picture is to check the tire clearance with the 380 chainstays, considering this tire is bigger than what I will use, Iam pretty happy with it:

p1120016.jpg

I asked for brake cables attachment!

marino10.jpg

Update 1 june 2011

He sent me this picture to show the BB gussets he will add. They are bigger than the ones on the first version I had.

124_3710.jpg

Then this is the frame finished in the oven. No chrome paint yet, just the prepaint has been put on right now. I guess he will paint it today.

124_3711.jpg

I received my Try-All light tires and my No War black rear rim today as well as my rockman in CNC backing pads. This bike is going to be awesome!

Update 2 june 2011

SO, this morning I had a great surprise checking my mail! Loads of photos had been sent!

The first one shows the bike after painting. Now the frame is finished, he only waits for his stickers to arrive to stick them on! So I shall wait a long time only to have them I guess...

15_fin10.jpg

The next photo shows the rear triangle area

16_fin10.jpg

And this one shows the front end:

17_fin10.jpg

On this photo I realized he added a gusset I didn't ask for. Now I asked for this type of gussets on the first frame, and a friend told me it was going to be quite useless so I removed it. Now it's on, so there is not much I can do abut it. Let's hope it doesn't put too much stress in this area!

18_fin10.jpg

This photo shows some quite nice features he added that can play the role of brake booster. One thing I regret on Marino frames is the weak rear brake area, so maybe these gussets will change this point!

19_fin10.jpg

And one last photo to show the gussets on the chainstays:

20_fin10.jpg

Update 2 June 2011

These are the first stickers applied. He is getting the last sticker tomorrow hopefully!

21_com10.jpg

I think the new Marino sticker is pretty nice!

22_dow10.jpg

Made in Peru of course!

23_rea10.jpg

Update 21 June 2011

Here is the first picture of the complete bike. I rode with it today at the demo and I must say I like it really well. Very stable, very predictable, the rear brake is very stiff without brake booster. I feel I am already used to it.

photo019.jpg

Update 13th July 2011

I put a disc brake on the front because I wanted to try disc brake. I absolutely love it, and I feel this is what I missed on my bike. I tend to roll when I make a front wheel transfer so this is ideal! It is a BB7 203 mm that I ordered on Tartybikes (Thanks lads for the usual awesome service!) mounted onto a Trialtech Disc fork with a Hope adapter. My cat likes the bike pretty much. She keeps rubbing her head on the new fork...

photo010.jpg

photo011.jpg

photo012.jpg

photo013.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Canardweb
  • Like 1

Very nice! When did you get the last update? He sent me picture of almost complete frame with just hs mount to be added and sprayed. That was 2 weeks ago I emailed the guy 3 times to ask for any updates, but nothing, no replies! I payed for express delivery, so normal person would understand that I would like it as quick as he can finish it. What the hell!?

Very nice! When did you get the last update? He sent me picture of almost complete frame with just hs mount to be added and sprayed. That was 2 weeks ago I emailed the guy 3 times to ask for any updates, but nothing, no replies! I payed for express delivery, so normal person would understand that I would like it as quick as he can finish it. What the hell!?

For my first frame, he did the same! I think he always does this when he has nearly finished a frame, he tends to begin something new before finishing what he is doing. I had my last update tonight at 4 am! Tell me if you have news man!

Cool,

How come you didn't make another one yourself? If the tubes dented easily, you just needed thicker tubes.

And your welds would only get better with practice.

Keep us posted!

No, I prefer trusting someone with experience and also making a business that is worth it work. Also getting new tubes would cost a bomb. When I was at school, it was cheap as I didn't pay, but now...

There's a very good chance that there are people on this forum who eat less often than you change frames.

Good luck with this one, looking forward to seeing your next one this evening!

I don't understand why you say so... Can you explain?

Wouldnt you be better off just buying a rockman / koxx which is the geo your after as the marino is gonna weigh over 2kg?

I guess not as the geo he is getting the new frame made to, isn't the same as what Koxx or Rockman have out at the moment.

Wouldnt you be better off just buying a rockman / koxx which is the geo your after as the marino is gonna weigh over 2kg?

I guess not as the geo he is getting the new frame made to, isn't the same as what Koxx or Rockman have out at the moment.

What he said, and Rockman's frames snap and Koxx's frames cost a lot. Update in the first post!

Edited by Canardweb

What stem are you gonna run to compensate for such a high bb? Figure you'll need to run something like 125-150mm length, and 25-30 degree rise. Im kinda surprised that you didnt go for a 120mm headtube instead of 110mm.

What stem are you gonna run to compensate for such a high bb? Figure you'll need to run something like 125-150mm length, and 25-30 degree rise. Im kinda surprised that you didnt go for a 120mm headtube instead of 110mm.

Trialtech 150 x 30 as on my current bike

UPDATE IN FIRST POST

i love my marino to bits!! yes its a bit weighty, but not un managable,but feels so nice to ride, so flicky and spot on on the back wheel !!

Weight is not really an issue considering the fact that I use quite light components. So the weight will be near 9 kilos. Which is pretty good.

Stuff I wait for the bike:

- Try-all light tires

- Heatsink "Coustsinks" pads

- Headset

- Rockman rear and front black rim(although I am considering keeping the trialtech rims on my bike, if you can help me decide...)

- Rockman light black cranks (although I am considering keeping the try-all on my bike, if can help me decide on that too...)

Thanks!

Edited by Canardweb

Heat treated? As far as I know he doesnt do that, nor needs to.

After painting he does so. I just don't know if it needed a special word for this step as it is not for the cr-mo (I believe you understood so) but only for the paint.