Pedals Gashing Shins

isitafox

I was just sat thinking that when I got back into riding after a long while out I was in the habit of shredding my shins quite often for maybe the first 2 or 3 months I was riding but soon gladly stopped doing it. However I did both my shins last week on 2 seperate occasions for the first time in ages (my echo pedals are starting to shed some pins now) and wondered if any of the top riders do it, and when I say top I mean people like Ali C, Rowan, Mark W, Phatmike, any of the GET2 riders, etc...

when I say top I mean people like ... Mark W

Error, haha.

But nah, I seem to be reasonably lucky in that I don't tend to slip my pedals that often. I don't really do much stuff where my feet comes off though so I think that helps. Ali just gets pummelled though, at the hospital when he was getting his foot looked at the doctors/nurses were all more concerned about his shin cuts than his obviously swollen/bruised/painful foot...

I've not seen mike get big ones regularly, smaller scrapes sure, but i think the biggest i've seen him with was when he bailed and the bolt for his rear brake went down his shin. That was rather deep.

I've not had one for about a year now luckily, although now i've been reminded about them by this thread i'm sure i'll be thinking about them too much when i'm riding next and give myself a good vagina impression.

• Like 2

I beg to differ! He always seems to be getting fresh ones. I'd blame it on the pedals; I hate getting on a bike with worn out pedals, they give you very little confidence. Touch wood, I rarely get any these days, seem to get more knock around my ankles from the brake pistons.

You wanna see Dave Kerrs' shins, they look like they have been attacked by a Velociraptor!

I would hazard that shin scars are proportional to skill.

Useless riders (such as myself) don't have much scaring because we don't push ourselves and therefore f**k up less often.

Edited by Matt Vandart

You wanna see Dave Kerrs' shins, they look like they have been attacked by a Velociraptor!

Useless riders (such as myself) don't have much scaring because we don't push ourselves and therefore f**k up less often.

Haha, you're probably not wrong. On the downside, you do have to change the bedsheets more often when they get covered in blood!

Cheers love, that puts me pretty high on the talent list then as min are f****d!

Yea, definitely not proportional to talent - I have marks on my shins that haven't 'scarred' as such yet because they are over the tops of various other scars. They've been there since December... Shins: f**ked.

I had a horrible period a year ago where it seemed like the purpose of my legs was for pedals to hit them, but haven't had a bad one for ages. Although yesterday when I was walking my bike I tripped up on a curb and my shins landed on my pedals, but I'm quite clumsy when it comes to curbs.

Nice

I had a horrible period a year ago where it seemed like the purpose of my legs was for pedals to hit them, but haven't had a bad one for ages. Although yesterday when I was walking my bike I tripped up on a curb and my shins landed on my pedals, but I'm quite clumsy when it comes to curbs.

Chuckled at this.

I have just gone to wearing shin pads cos I cant be f**king my shins/knees up anymore, I tend to hit them when the pedal spins round rather than scrape them, this hurts loads but doesnt tend to cut yer shins.

I smashed my shins loads with those TR pedals went back to welgo's no slippyslip, this was definitely lack of talent.

No problem for years until a couple of weekes ago in Matlock when I did a proper job on my right leg.... and then again an hour later. The blood is still on my pedals about 8mm deep up the cage. I bought some shin pads last Friday (661 veggie wraps).

Biker's badge of honour!! I've had loads over the years when i was 1st starting out mountain biking in general i got double teamed by my pedal up my shin and outer chainring up the back of my leg! Which hurt like F**K and took an age to heal and i think i still have the scars up the back of my leg 12 years on!

I've started wearing my shinpads again after starting this topic, there's no shame in stopping myself from taking pain! Also when I did my left leg the other week about 10 mins after I did it I had to go and pick my son up from school and had to keep my shorts on to stop my trousers sticking to the cut. As you'd expect this lead to many, many horrifying looks from the other mums and dads as I stood there occasionally trying to mop up a bit of blood trickling down my shin!