Owe'd Money Problem.

Julius Czar

So here's the story...

I was at a party on a Friday night and I get a call from a mate asking if he can borrow my bike, I say yes, on the one condition that he pays for damage if any. Next day at about 4, I get another call from my mate, telling me that I'm gonna need a new back wheel because his dad ran my back wheel over, he agreed to pay for everything, and did, bought me a new rim, tyre, tube, tape and spokes and nipples, which I got with no hassle, with the bike at his I had no way of looking at my bike to see any damage myself, so I went to his house and got it, chucked it in the car and went home, and upon closer inspection I noticed a crack going across the ridge of my hub, so I ring him up straight away and tell him the problem, he says he's already put in the order when i asked him for the money to do it myself, as I knew what I wanted, and he hasn't got much knowledge when it comes to the technical stuff. And now he's saying that he hasn't got the money for the hubshell when he's bought himself a new pivotal seat, post and clamp set up worth about £50.. And on top of that I went to his house when he wasn't there and asked his dad about what happened, and he had no idea what I was going on about. I'm normally a reasonable person, but he ha has a track record of owing people money and I dont want to wait for ages for him to pay up, what do I do? I don't wanna break the law doing anything for the money, because that Would get Me in more shot than it's worth, but I want the money so I can get out and ride again...

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

I guess for the moment your just going to have to buy your own hub, check the forums though if you're short on cash. Guess the moral of the story is that you shouldn't lend your bike to someone who you feel that you have to give them conditions that they will pay for any damage.

When I let someone else use my bike I know they would pay/fix anything that they broke without me having to ask, unless if was already half broken.

Edit: Definitely don't do anything stupid/illegal that could compromise your 'mate' giving you the money back.

Edited by AndrewEH1

Ask him when he can get the money to you, if it's something reasonable that you can deal with then go for that for now, but make sure once the time gets closer you start hassling him, it can be hard and awkward to get money out of people, but once you know how to do it it's a lot easier. It's just a ball ache getting used to it. If it's a ridiculous amount of time tell his parents the situation. Ask them could they give you the money and then he can owe them the money from that point so that you don't have to deal with it anymore.

Just to play devils advocate:

If you didn't want your bike to get damaged then you shouldn't have lent the bike to him, simples. When he took the bike you didn't have a brand new rear rim, spokes, tyre and tube. So just buy the hubshell (there not that much) yourself and be happy that you've got a brand new back end setup and your mate payed for most of it.

Ask Rupert Murdoch if he has any proof of the phonecall between you and your mate... then, take them both to court. Simple. Sell your story to the daily record and become a few k richer overnight!

Lolz, what is it with you Scottish dudes and the Daily Record?

I have been in the middle of the desert working with dudes from Glasgow and they have managed to get hold of a copy!!!!!!

But I don't really wanna pay for something I didn't break, regardless of whether I should or shouldn't have let him borrow it I didn't damage it, and he agreed to pay for any damage if anything happened, and it did so he should pay up for everything, not just buy me bits and hope I'll forget about the hub, but I dont wanna build up the new bits with a cracked shell that might compramise the strength of the new wheel, thus possibly breaking it again and having to pay for new stuff again, so my bike is currently in bits waiting for money that might not even turn up, I just don't want to be mugged off that's all. :/

So here's the story...

I was at a party on a Friday night and I get a call from a mate asking if he can borrow my bike, I say yes, on the one condition that he pays for damage if any. Next day at about 4, I get another call from my mate, telling me that I'm gonna need a new back wheel because his dad ran my back wheel over .....

And it's not his dads fault? Or is his dad just not willing to pay? I mean if I stand my mates bike somewhere and it gets runover by someone I'd not really be willing to pay it myself as I can't help what the other guy is doing in his car or whatever it was...

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

And it's not his dads fault? Or is his dad just not willing to pay? I mean if I stand my mates bike somewhere and it gets runover by someone I'd not really be willing to pay it myself as I can't help what the other guy is doing in his car or whatever it was...

Well the way I see it is that it's in his hands at the time, and if it got ran over then it must have been in a road, which is his fault because he should have been more responsible with someone elses bike, and put it on a path at least...

Well the way I see it is that it's in his hands at the time, and if it got ran over then it must have been in a road, which is his fault because he should have been more responsible with someone elses bike, and put it on a path at least...

My dad's very nearly ran over my bike in our drive way, and I know others who it's also happened to so I can understand that part. Recently TF has put me off lending things out ever again though.

Well my dad has managed to run over stuff IN our garage :P Was only a thought. Because I guess his dad could pay better.. Why not ask where the bike was and accordingly ask your mate to talk about the money problem with his father?

I'm having a similar problem.

My mate texted me the other day asking if I can pick him up from the train station seems though the trains werent running. He said he'd give me petrol money on that text. So I was like ok. This was a 20 mile trip.

Picked him up but he didn't mention the fuel money, i forgot too. So texted him yesterday as he asked me over to chill, I hinted at him "Ill come over but my fuels a bit low" to his reply he said oh shit yeah I forgot to pay you the other day. And I went over but he didn't pay me.

But then again I didn't mention it - i somehow felt a bit tight asking for money from him as hes in a house having moved out with his girlfriend. to be honest he did mention fuel money on that initial text i'm just being a pussy.

I wouldn't care if I was working now, as I f**king love driving my car but it's the fact I haven't started at Argos yet

Edited by dann2707

Shouldn't borrow things if your not willing to pay up if it breaks while your in possesion of it.