Chris Akrigg

John Shrewsbury

Must be so annoying when you're there all smashed up, all you want to do is get sorted out and carted off to hospital, and the ambulance guy you're speaking to is getting fussy about exactly what you were doing and trying to clarify exactly how you ended up falling off. Seems a bit pointless, especially bearing in mind how potentially serious his injuries could've been.

This may also be influenced by the tedious discussions I've had in hospital with doctors/nurses who just couldn't comprehend how I'd hurt myself...

Seems a bit pointless, especially bearing in mind how potentially serious his injuries could've been.

This may also be influenced by the tedious discussions I've had in hospital with doctors/nurses who just couldn't comprehend how I'd hurt myself...

I think it seems you are being prejudiced Mark :P Of course its annyoing when you're the one in pain, you've experianced it so you're well familiarised with it... but at the same time the doctors have to know EXACTLY what happened incase you could have injuries that are not obvious. In Chris's case, what if he'd bombed it a couple of miles cross country first and then skidded off - He'd be really out of energy, out of breath, elevated heart rate - could have burst blood vessels when accompanied with the fall? Don't know Im far from a doctor :P

When I broke my arm climbing they did the same. I fell and landed on my arm. It hurt. As far as I was concerned why the f*ck did anything else matter? if anything else hurt I obviously would have told them. But apparently if my arm was broken it could have 'overwhelmed' the pain of a head injury so they asked if I hit my head on the way down. I think theres also an element of 'I don't want to be sued so Im going to be thorough' about it too.

Anyway Im done. That video is pretty good, I can't believe how calm he is... Maybe he's just used to it now?

Must be so annoying when you're there all smashed up, all you want to do is get sorted out and carted off to hospital, and the ambulance guy you're speaking to is getting fussy about exactly what you were doing and trying to clarify exactly how you ended up falling off. Seems a bit pointless, especially bearing in mind how potentially serious his injuries could've been.

Dude,

Those paramedics did exactly what they should have done. You may have found it annoying, but they need to find out exactly what happened because the obvious injuries may be masking more serious injuries.

Most on this forum will have seen the footage of Chris' fall months ago and are aware of the outcome of his injuries but as the first medical professional on scene the paramedics understanding of the accident and the mechanism of injury has a huge bearing on the future health of the patient. If they don't know whats going on they can't treat Chris properly and could potentially cause more damage. It has nothing to do with covering their ass, it's called doing their job properly.

Anyway enough ranting. Glad to see Chris on the mend, in my opinion he is by far the most innovative, skillful and entertaining rider out there. I was gutted when I heard about his fall and have missed seeing new videos this summer. Get well soon.

Edited by trev
  • Like 1