Some Good Tips For Brakeless?

Unlucky-brakless

One tip....FAAAAAAAASSSSSSSTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR

Sorry I probably could have been more helpful...chain tension is how to stay on the back wheel. Don't pull your front end as high and perch o the chain tension before preloading!!

Edited by ben_travis

to stay on the rear either :

A. find a slope

B. change direction with the hops (ie go in a circle on the rear wheel)

or

C. be f**king careful not to gain any forward momentum. Try and keep just enough pressure on the pedals to keep the front up but not go forwards. keep the front end as low as you can and counter with your weight far back and low.

In my short (but massively fun, yet annoying) time riding brakeless, I found that:

- Angling your bars back helps. Lots

- A freewheel with plenty of engagments makes it easier too.

- Start on a slope, and gradually work your way to level ground

- PRACTICE!!

- Angling your bars back helps. Lots.

Also - if the backwheeling in question is preceding a sidehop or similar, you can nudge yourself backwards from the wall with the front wheel and use the backwards momentum to keep you in place.

P.S. - Just note... You're finding it hard because it IS hard. It might well require quite some determination to get past it, but you'll get it if you can endure the frustration.

When I have brakes I do a little kick to get to back wheel. If you do that brakeless, you lose :P As soon as I learnt to almost do a little 'English hop' from static to put the back wheel in front of me more (whilst keeping my weight further back) it meant I could stay on the spot better rather than rolling forwards.

When I have brakes I do a little kick to get to back wheel. If you do that brakeless, you lose :P As soon as I learnt to almost do a little 'English hop' from static to put the back wheel in front of me more (whilst keeping my weight further back) it meant I could stay on the spot better rather than rolling forwards.

That right there is a tip I wish someone had told me sooner! Definitely taking the bike to work tomorrow...

Mark - WTF is an english hop....i know about the body position you are talking about but...an english hop? no idea

Back in my village where we [edit: k]new next to nothing about the real biking scene - we always had it said that an American hop was like a normal bunnyhop - front wheel up and then jump - where an English was lifting both wheels at the same time.

Also sympathize with Ali's confusion over Andeee's "tip".

Edited by aener

Mark - WTF is an english hop....i know about the body position you are talking about but...an english hop? no idea

This.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I remember something about this from way back in the day. Is it a hop where both wheels come up at the same time (as opposed to an 'American style' bunny hop where the fron end comes up first)?

EDIT 2: Flipp got there while I was typing mine!

Edited by Ben Swales

More useful tips, in my opinion (was tired last night :P Some have already been said - just putting everything I'd advise in one place) :

-Taught chain helps, but not essential if you get over it. Mine's loose 'cause my wheel moves about a bit, but you get used to compensating so don't overly-worry about it.

-Again - high number of engagements - but mine's rocking 64 at the minute. Get used to that, too.

-Faster helps with almost everything.

-Harder tyres. Gapping to 90 is about the only way to stop after the gap if the landing is too short to wodge. I found with "normal"ish trials pressures the tyres often fell off the rim. Much nicer once you get used to that, too.

-Roll the bars back a bit. Nicer for everything, I found. Slightly different centre of gravity compared with riding with brakes.

-Might want to experiment with a slightly higher front end. 5-10mm of stackers might well be enough, but you might find you want a higher stem.

-Really exaggerate body movements - especially of the "sucking up" variety.

-Going up stuff, lean forwards a fair bit more than you think necessary.

-Learn to go up to 90 both ways. I'm suffering heavily for not doing so at the minute.

With regards specifically to backhopping:

-Position yourself a fair bit further back on the bike.

-Keep arms and legs much more bent than with brakes.

-Start facing up a slope. Much easier. When going to flat, start by nudging backwards off something. When you're comfy with the positioning, try and do it as Mark said. I find sort of "squeezing" it through easier, but then I seem to be the only one to do it that way. Not seen anyone else do it, so it might just be me. (By "squeeze", I mean push the bike forwards and lift the front up at the same time, and push your hips down to "squeeze" the bike through underneath you.)

Don't take these as "rules". They're just suggestions for techniques/ideas that I personally find to help. I think brakeless is far more susceptible to individual preference and technique than with brakes. It's such a young and inexperienced sect of riding that there hasn't been enough time for hard-fast guidelines to have arisen - so take everything everyone says in here with rather a large pinch of salt.

The only real tips I can give are rather simple:

- Learn to love crashing, you'll be doing it a lot. Off of things, into things, up things, round things. I make sure I laugh during/after every stack.

- You need more power in your legs (especially front foot) than you ever did riding with brakes, either get yourself in a gym or concentrate on just how hard you're pushing.

Technique wise, I'm as f**ked as any other beginner so can't offer anything!

regards "english hop" - didnt realise we still spoke in terms that old. haha. now i get it though.

I tend to just lean back and pull the front end up. as if i am doing a manual is how i think about it.

there are somethings in aeners that are really good ideas. primarily;

going to 90 both ways

chain tension

front end height.

JD's learning to crash alot and laugh is a good one!

my final tip;

EDIT: stick with it. its not easy, and if you believe it IS easy you are less likely to succeed. simple really (had to edit as it didnt make any sense whatsoever...work is draining me today)

Edited by ben_travis

• 3 months later...

Gonna give this a bump as I'm after a few tips myself. First off what should I be looking toward as a starting point at brakeless, I was thinking of bunnyhopping 90 degrees onto a kerb to try and stop or slow my momentum? I'm pretty good at managing 180's but need to get some practice in on spinning the bike back around and I think I over tension the chain when I try to go backwards and usually just end up stopping dead.

I'll have some lighter forks and higher bars on by the end of the week so hopefully that should help.