The Car Thread

MadManMike

Did you like shoot that garage owner in the kneecap or something? Progress seems much quicker recently.

Looks like it doesn't it? Seriously, that explosion of rage was the best thing that happened to me in the last few months. Not only are they making incredible progress with the car (and doing it properly) but my health has improved, I no longer feel tired every day all day, I sleep properly... amazing.

Wahey, something i know about.

Integra's are AMAZING cars. There is more difference between a UK and JDM then you'd think. JDM came in 2 revisions, '96 and '98. The '96 has 4 stud, 15" wheels. The '98 has a revised rear bumper, 5 stud 16" wheels and some other subtle changes.

Between UK and JDM, the UK only ever came with 15" 5 stud wheels, and a slightly better ratio'd gearbox but nothing to shout about. Because of the fog lights and the UK market at time, they completely re-designed the front end, probably because that's a standard US market front-end, so was cheaper, and Honda love giving the Japanese people better stuff.

UK is cheaper on insurance but in my eyes, look so, so ugly. JDM's can be picked up for pennies now, although '98 spec's still grab a premium.

They all come standard with Recaros. Either red or black, or if you're lucky, yellow (usually only in yellow ones).

I love one of my rallysprint buddies, he's the most destructive man ever. What goes on in his car life is pure comedy. This is him in his element:

DBC29CF22A72-298.jpg

Last week he came back from a hillclimb event with his M3 stuck in a rather strange position on a trailer. It turned out he tore the whole rear suspension off the car because he cut a corner too hard. He couldn't find one of his rear springs, it later turned out to be stuck in the fuel tank. This is fairly normal for him, a few months ago he tore one of his front wheels off with the wing and pretty much everything that the wheel was attached to. This too happened because he cut a corner. Very fast driver and has absolutely no consideration for his car. So, before the weekend he arrived completely unfazed in his daily driver to take a look at the progress on his car:

60116946978672636933276.jpg

He was seen by my mate later that day driving like that past his workshop. My mate then called to tell him that about the flats but was told it's all ok because he's in a big hurry and needs to change the tyres anyway. Yesterday I got a call from the destructive man asking if I have a water pump because he "accidentally" pushed the radiator into the fan which broke the pump spindle (we presume he cut a corner and hit some tyres). He continued to say that he doesn't want a fan any more because it's too destructive for the radiator which also packed up. I think he's missing the point to be honest. Anyway, I absolutely love this guy. He's in his mid 40's which makes it all the more ridiculous when you listen to his wild theories.

• Like 1

Fairly sure all DC2's had red recaros J-rod, and that UK spec (or wherever it's from before you all shoot me down) is a fail too.

As spunky said, JDM or go home.

Or, just keep the clio. yes ITR's are nice, but I really don't get the obsession.

DC5 or go home :P

New rubber for the focus. The tyres currently fitted are dangerously bad in the wet. There was one occasion where I almost couldn't pull away at the lights on a wet hill due to the lack of friction. It was quite embarrassing really.

post-29859-0-38004700-1340200654_thumb.j

Good stuff. How much are those going for at the moment?

This.

I need new rubber for my focus because the cheap shite that is on there atm appears to be made from bakelite in the wet :)

Have considered the proxes but concerned about wear rates, I really don't rag the car, rarely corner or brake hard, how many thousands of miles could I expect from a pair on the front of a 1.8tdci focus (the wimpy 100bhp version).

I've used maxxis MA-V1 in the past and despite being a cheap tyre they lasted pretty well (20k from a front pair) and had plenty of grip in the dry although wet performance wasn't near as good. Should I go for the proxes over them as I don't really need any more grip?

FWIW I last paid 50 quid a corner for the maxxis fitted at a local place, how much can you expect to pay to fit loose tyres?

Pretty damn cheap at £34 a piece. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s99p1667/TOYO_TYRES_CAR_TOYO_T1R_PROXES_TOYO_T1_R_-_195_50R15_82V_TL_

Camskill seem to vary which sizes they have on offer, the 55 profile ones of that size are £50 at the moment, so take a look through the varies sizes and see what's cheapest.

I've heard you can get tyres fitted and balanced at around £10 a corner, I'm going to find out if that's true soon.

Throw some car suggestions at me:

I've got a civic type r currently (newest style/FN2) which I actually love. It's fast, reliable and so nice to chuck into corners. However I'm thinking of changing it to something (slightly) more grown-up - The Civic is faintly chavvy, plus the ride is terrible. Basically, I want something that's similarly nice to drive/string together bends. I don't do a massive mileage (9k last year) so petrol is fine.

Small (ish)

Big boot (to fit a mountain bike(s))

Nice lively drive

Quick without being silly / super expensive

BMW 1 Series is probably top of the list (120d/123d/125i) but whilst the coupe looks nice, it's not got a huge boot. The hatch looks... Bad. Not sure I could live with something so ugly.

I was looking at Audi A3/S3 but sounds like they're not quite as sharp through the bends as the Civic. My girlfriend's got a golf and the steering is so vague compared to my Civic. I don't want that.

Volvo C30 definitely an option although the boot is pretty small, and I can't really find any info on how it drives.

Anything else I should consider?

I've got a civic type r currently (newest style/FN2) which I actually love. It's fast, reliable and so nice to chuck into corners. However I'm thinking of changing it to something (slightly) more grown-up - The Civic is faintly chavvy, plus the ride is terrible. Basically, I want something that's similarly nice to drive/string together bends. I don't do a massive mileage (9k last year) so petrol is fine.

Small (ish)

Nice lively drive

BMW 1 Series is probably top of the list (120d/123d/125i) but whilst the coupe looks nice, it's not got a huge boot. The hatch looks... Bad. Not sure I could live with something so ugly.

I was looking at Audi A3/S3 but sounds like they're not quite as sharp through the bends as the Civic. My girlfriend's got a golf and the steering is so vague compared to my Civic. I don't want that.

Volvo C30 definitely an option although the boot is pretty small, and I can't really find any info on how it drives.

Anything else I should consider?

Why not a 3 series? I've never really seen the point of the 1 series coupe, in my eyes it's just the 'Boxster' of the line-up, I see no reason to buy it over a 3 series coupe. It's only 60kg lighter, which is less difference than the options list will make, there's less space, and it's worse looking (imo). It's a little smaller, but when is that ever actually going to make a difference? They're both normal sized cars that'll fit in basically any parking space fine.

What about a Megane? Seems to tick all the boxes.

Small (ish)

Nice lively drive

You need the impossible car :P

Clio 172/182/197 with the rear seats removed? The Meganes seem pretty sweet too.

You need the impossible car :P

Clio 172/182/197 with the rear seats removed? The Meganes seem pretty sweet too.

Definitely not impossible. My Civic with an Audi exterior and interior trim, plus some better suspension would tick all the boxes. I would quite like a clio and in retrospect I could have got one for significantly less than the Civic, might have been a good decision. But it would be a downgrade in terms of size / features / reliability so aside from being something different there's not much benefit in changing IMO.

Anyone driven an Audi A4 (B7) quattro? Or A3 with Quattro (I know it's a different system)? Something like the 2.0tfsi.

Definitely not impossible. My Civic with an Audi exterior and interior trim, plus some better suspension would tick all the boxes. I would quite like a clio and in retrospect I could have got one for significantly less than the Civic, might have been a good decision. But it would be a downgrade in terms of size / features / reliability so aside from being something different there's not much benefit in changing IMO.

Anyone driven an Audi A4 (B7) quattro? Or A3 with Quattro (I know it's a different system)? Something like the 2.0tfsi.

How about facelift Focus ST? more mature and not so chavvy looking as the pre-facelift, 3/5 door option, go for subtle colours like red, black or blue then it could be a bit of a win? Might not have as good interior but I wouldn't say they're the worse out there. Handling should be good being a Ford and refined engine....?

Steve