The Car Thread

MadManMike

Oi! :P

That's not very fair, it's a good balance between fun, practicality and cheap insurance. Then again, I often prefer less 'fun' to drive cars because it takes less to get them out of shape and actually have some fun. Not that I'd ever do that on a public road, officer.

Nothing really, except that it needs an MOT this month, but it'll sail through that and I'm planning to do it next week.

It's a 1.8 NA, 131k miles but running sweet. I would honestly still be driving it now if I hadn't been basically given the BMW. It's a bit scruffy outside, but no dents - just car park scuffs from the previous owner.

That previous owner was a 65 year old teacher for what it's worth, so it hasn't been ragged its whole life and the interior is perfect. Got a little iPod dock in it that I put in too.

Have you tried? I was pleasantly surprised with it in comparison to other cars, but it could work out more for you. No worries!

Edit: R422MGP if you try quoting, easier with the reg!

Edited by JD™

Quite like that Polo! Sure I recognise it from somewhere...

There's a car show on about 10miles from where I live tomorrow, DC12. Big VAG show...

Put my wide wheels back on the Audi for the show n shine :)

post-6343-0-33445900-1339273084_thumb.jp

post-6343-0-09601200-1339273102_thumb.jp

post-6343-0-31221500-1339273121_thumb.jp

Genuine fake BBS'. ;)

Yeah man, had a scare today.

I was at my mate's house, started it up and the EM light was off! The car suddenly had more power, so clearly it was on limp mode with the 02 sensor issue.

Anyway I got home and when I next started it up it only did 3 cylinders. Looked at the spark plugs to see if I could divine the issue - they're pretty brown/black/burnt looking, some white powdery deposits there. Sorta rubbed that off and hoped for the best, it started up on 4 cylinders this time but the engine management light's on again.

I've unhooked the battery, hope it will reset the ECU which should help. Tomorrow I'll go buy some new spark plugs that are nice and clean and it should be plain sailing from there.

Car's looking nice Dan

Tom, I know some of the fake splits that were popular on MX-5's used plastic fake bolts glued in place, no idea about the RS though unfortunately.

Revolver, I know those Astra's often suffer from dodgy coil-packs, could possibly be the issue. Have you had the fault codes checked?

Quite like that Polo! Sure I recognise it from somewhere...

There's a car show on about 10miles from where I live tomorrow, DC12. Big VAG show...

Put my wide wheels back on the Audi for the show n shine :)

post-6343-0-33445900-1339273084_thumb.jp

post-6343-0-09601200-1339273102_thumb.jp

post-6343-0-31221500-1339273121_thumb.jp

Genuine fake BBS'. ;)

yeah i used to go to all the VW shows, gti international, elsecar, edition 38, clubpolo show, ive won a few trophies and medals, wish i didnt sell the car!

peace ;)

Maybe the disconnected o2 sensor caused it to run lean, creating the white deposits? Best get that sensor working!

That's almost certainly true.

I've changed the plugs today, and I had the battery unhooked overnight to give the ECU time to reset. All of yesterday's error codes are still there though. I suspect they've not cleared off.

I get an injector circuit error too.

Anyone know actually how to clear the fault codes?

Either of you driven a Fabia? :P

I've always been pleasantly surprised when I've borrowed my mums 1.4 16v one (100bhp model). The brakes are a bit grabby, which I don't like because I'm odd and into old cars, but the steering's nicer than any standard A3/mk4 Golf I've driven, the PAS system seems to kill less of the feel, and the gear change is really nice too.

That said, the Leon's a bit more solid feeling interior wise, and it is the nicer looking car, but I wouldn't discount the Fabia straight away, they're really not bad to drive at all. For some reason my mum's one's ridiculous money for me to insure, so I'm a little surprised you're getting cheap quotes, not a bad thing for you though. :P

Leon too, they look great standard even the older shaped one which I presume you are getting? Fabias are for old people unless

Oi, I've got a fabia :P but its vrs if that makes a difference. Used to have a leon fr, but was a bit too ambitious trying to drive it through a flood (in a rush to get to the airport) and wrote it off. Fabia VRS seemed like a good choice after that, same engine (and gearbox?) but far cheaper insurance. Bought it a couple of years ago and its still going with no big issues.

As mentioned, build quality of the leon seems much better than a fabia, but thats reflected in the price. The levers and dials are all identical in both cars, but there are hints of cheapness in the VRS (it leaks, boot catch is dodgy). Overall, If I could choose between a fabia vrs and a standard leon, I'd go for the VRS.. Between a standard fabia and a standard leon: leon.

Exactly my thoughts ^

I'm not sure why I didn't finish off what I was typing above, was going to say "unless it's the mk1 Vrs" Which you have :P

If I was to go VAG Its my first choice car, remap gains are excellent on those engines. However the seats are a disgrace, really not into them at all. Think they ruined it with them.

Exactly my thoughts ^

I'm not sure why I didn't finish off what I was typing above, was going to say "unless it's the mk1 Vrs" Which you have :P

If I was to go VAG Its my first choice car, remap gains are excellent on those engines. However the seats are a disgrace, really not into them at all. Think they ruined it with them.

Well recovered..lol.

Yeah, the seats are crap. I've been using my car as a mobile skip for the past year, seats are not looking good :( will have to get it valeted before i sell it, i've given up on trying to keep them clean for the time being.

• Like 1