The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm really not interested in ruining the thread with pointless arguments though, and forteh always seems a pretty intelligent chap, who says he mostly agrees with me, so all's good :) I like bikes, I'll never own one, but I've got nothing particularly against them, and certainly no delusions about how damn quick they are on the road. My only issue with them's some riders attitudes in traffic, but then car drivers piss me off just as much on that front. I'll never own a fast road going bike for the same reason I'm not smashed on coke right now, but I can completely understand why other people do want to take the risk, and fair play to them.

• Like 1

Simply no.

Just accept it from me before Robin comes back with a degree and rapes your arse. :)

Sorry, I need to put a generic joke smiley in - :P

Tis ok, I got my degree over a decade before robin got his, a moot point though :)

I'm really not interested in ruining the thread with pointless arguments though, and forteh always seems a pretty intelligent chap, who says he mostly agrees with me, so all's good :) I like bikes, I'll never own one, but I've got nothing particularly against them, and certainly no delusions about how damn quick they are on the road. My only issue with them's some riders attitudes in traffic, but then car drivers piss me off just as much on that front. I'll never own a fast road going bike for the same reason I'm not smashed on coke right now, but I can completely understand why other people do want to take the risk, and fair play to them.

Agree with you again, hooning on bikes is great fun, however in traffic is a big no no in my eyes, too much happening to fast to prevent the eventual accident. IMHO bikes like supermotos are the most fun you can have on two motorised wheels, 60bhp, 130ish kg and geared for not much past a tonne top end and you have a bike that is most fun at legal speeds, will hit 60 in 3-4 seconds and will constantly make you smile - on the down side, anything bigger than a B road is generally pretty boring to ride on, you need to stop every 10-20 miles to shake the vibrations out your feet and fuel range is 60-80 miles on a tankfull :(

Much like your mini (I think) :)

Operative word being 'drives' rather than 'races'. Also, it's coming from someone who isn't old enough to drive, so probably shouldn't be taking the piss out of something which is probably used to get him from A to B more reliably than the bus.

• Like 1

Operative word being 'drives' rather than 'races'. Also, it's coming from someone who isn't old enough to drive, so probably shouldn't be taking the piss out of something which is probably used to get him from A to B more reliably than the bus.

Maybe seeing that you and his step-mother have a similar taste in cars he was trying to set you two up?

• Like 2

Winner.

In car-related new; My turbo decided to die yesterday. Denied. This means several things;

1. I need to spend part of the Leon budget sorting it.

2. I should have a fully sorted and serviced car ready to sell by the end of the week.

3. f**k the Leon budget, let's just buy one anyway...

Turns out that the turbo is absolutely fine, and the issues I was having were just the after effects of having changed a leaky leak off pipe. Have replaced all and after getting a little air out of the system the car pulls like a train and is faultless again. Time to flog it and move on to more fun things...

Forgetting that that post is nearly 2 months old, your point is?

I don't really have one, maybe that I want to say you're a lady.

I felt left out,this is one of the only topics i've never posted in.

hehe, calm down man

Had a f**king scary near-miss last night in the Leon. Coming off the M25 onto the A21 there's a big sweeping corner, was going a little quicker than I should have been and it was wet - felt the back end coming out so steered into it and let off brakes and accelarator and it snaked back into grip. So sketchy having pretty much no control over the car for a few seconds.

So nearly spun it - Sheryl went mental too, she wasn't at all impressed!

Got a vw bora. Its the 1.9tdi version that has been chipped to 150bhp. It is now losing water and over heating at anything over 70 on the flats and if you try to go up hill it starts to over heat like a bitch. Also the heating seems to be going on it to. Like it will just randomly go cold for no reason.

I know a wee bit about cars but not that much so any help will be useful.

Havent had it in the shed yet. Artic trailer is going its test the morrow so thats been in since i've been home. It will be going in tonight and left to dry to see if can find out. But had a good look the day and everything seems fine. No cracks in the header tank and no drips from any of the pipes

Blockage somewhere in the cooling system?

In other news, ere's a pretty lengthy video from Silverstone on Friday. It was damn slippery early in the morning, but dried out a bit towards the end of the day.

But here's a brief 'map' so you can skip around the video:

0:40 me nearly falling off the track (and then a BMW doing the same 2 laps later)

1:10 me wet lap

5:15 Adam driving sideways

6:00 me GTR-chasing

9:00 Adam 2 laps by himself

14:10 Tom driving

18:50 me with some dry-er laps at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Turns out that the turbo is absolutely fine, and the issues I was having were just the after effects of having changed a leaky leak off pipe. Have replaced all and after getting a little air out of the system the car pulls like a train and is faultless again. Time to flog it and move on to more fun things...

What did you do to lose the trapped air in the system? I think I have the same problem with mine...

Cheers dude - yeah I think so. Was a bit nervous taking it all the way to Silverstone without a prior 'smaller' track day, but it ran perfect all day. Did a full cooling system re-hose and changed all the routings, temp was rock solid.

Winter trackdays are where its at! Cheap as chips (relatively), Oulton this Saturday too...