The Car Thread

MadManMike

Looks cool that (Y) I need an Exige in my life sometime (I'm aware that's an Elise you put up a link to, but they aren't manly enough :P). Just hope they aren't a huge disappointment if / when I drive one...

Won't one of those be much slower than your kit car thingy? And they aren't entirely practical fo a more everyday thing... A lot of wedge for a roof?

Won't one of those be much slower than your kit car thingy? And they aren't entirely practical fo a more everyday thing... A lot of wedge for a roof?

Yes - but there is more to a car than speed IMO. It's more of a 'that's a cool car' than a practical decision :P

Looks cool that (Y) I need an Exige in my life sometime (I'm aware that's an Elise you put up a link to, but they aren't manly enough :P). Just hope they aren't a huge disappointment if / when I drive one...

Aye I do like the exiges. The s2 s's are the only ones worth going for though unless you can push the boat out for a v6 :P. aside from the body the only real diff between the 111r and exige s is the supercharger which gives a more linear power curve. Saying that though you can get them to 320bhp with standard parts which makes a slight difference!

I went back to that RX8 I took in on Saturday, just sat in it, took a load of pictures and all that jazz. Then took it out for another quick drive before it goes off for auction.

It's made me want one. I just found it all "new" and exciting. Now to find one with good compression, low miles and only ever run on non synthetic oil...Wish me luck.

I took a couple of pictures and things, mainly so that I can see some "in depth" pictures of things just to lean all the little lay out qwerks and thinks. I'll share them on here, just because I know lots of you guys just like "cars" and like to see fixtures, fittings and what they're all about.

20130701_085840_zps66ab8d57.jpg

20130701_085832_zpsb70c17fd.jpg

20130701_085819_zpsf31716c5.jpg

20130701_085753_zps1c4a977e.jpg

20130701_085747_zps26ee96ef.jpg

20130701_085635_zpsaabdd21d.jpg

20130701_085631_zpsac956c0e.jpg

20130701_085603_zps7f6a7f9c.jpg

This is a cool video too, gay name and music though -

No - goes like the way round the front of the engine and drops down in a "U" shape to cradle the actual radiator itself - where I hit the bank it has cut all the underneath away but the rest of it is fine!

If anyone can find one for a decent price then there is a Mars multipack in the post!

I take it you've tried a Toyota dealership? (Not trying to be cocky, it's just amazing how many people don't try the main dealer.)

I really want to like RX-8's, but I just can't, the proportions are spoiled so badly by the whole awkward 4 door thing. Shame, as I like most Mazdas, and I love RX-7's, but for me the 8's always going to be 'so close yet so far'. The doors would work on something like a new Scirocco/Megane Coupe sort of shaped car, in fact they'd be awesome, but on a true coupe the need for rear headroom wrecks the roofline.

Edited by RobinJI

Yeah, Toyota dealership or breakers I'd say.

-

I agree on the fussy roof line and styling front. But I love Saabs more than life itself, so an RX8 is fairly mainstream for my tastes haha.

They are amazingly low, the roof line isn't that far off a Mk3 MX5. It's just the bulk of the side that makes it seem very out of proportion. I agree; but that's one of the reasons I like it.

Whoop whoop! Bring it over when you're home!

I finally finished my car last night. Done 10 miles so far (didn't finish until 10pm, so couldn't go too far!). All seems well, even on actuator pressure it feels a lot stronger than the old engine, seems to flow a lot better. I haven't driven it for two weeks though, so iy might just be I've forgotten how quick it is! Got another 90 miles to go, then I'll drop the mineral oil thats currently in it, and go another couple of hundred, then put "real" oil in.

Happy days!

Also got a friend dropping a water/meth injection kit tonight to fit to his Leon, so it will be a good practice for mine! Then I've got a cat-back exhaust to fit to a Mitsibushi Legnum VR4 at the weekend...not bad for an electrician, lol!

Bloody hell George, you do get some work! Chuck some my way over the summer please...

Good stuff on the engine success, must feel pretty awesome doing all that for the first time with no major failures? I'm still yet to find out if the Commer engine I rebuilt works haha

Haha, I need as much money as I can get to pay for it all. Stands at £1500 so far (although I got £500 back for the old engine). I quite often get wotk through friends of friends. Me and my friend who lives nearby are making a stainless steel exhaust for a Ferrari 348 in the near future, so that will be a nice thing to have on axle stands in my drive!

I also meant to say about my new clutch; I was concerned because it was only a 4 paddle disc, thought it would be a nightmare to use. However, I can honestly say that it is a joy to use. Its grabbyish, but easy to modulate, and the pedal is sooooo light, its like pressing the accelerator! Very good buy indeed. Good job I got a new DMF too, because the old one was shagged!

You're right about the feeling of satisfaction though. I shit my pants when I turned the key for the first time; I knew it was timed up correctly, but there is always that tiny bit of doubt! It was rattley for a few seconds, but that was just the VVT tensioner pressurising with oil. Theres a bit of a tick with the injectors, but that has always been there (and it was confirmed to be the injectors with the old metal screwdriver/scethoscope trick!). Feeling a big amount of pride right now; I knew I could do it, its just nice to have turned the (huge!) pile of parts on my garage floor into something that works. It will also be nice when the old engine is out, and I can actually fit my car in there again!

Had a bit of spare time today so worked on the M3 again. It seems to be endless, every time I get something done to a better standard something else that needs doing starts to show. This has been going on for a month now. I hope I don't crash this on my next comp which is in 10 days.

And as f**king usual when I need perfect weather, there is some and suddenly a storm starts to brew. It's getting so annoying I actually ended up jumping and shouting today when a big downpour came WITH NO VISIBLE CLOUDS above me.

Painted the top half of the front wing and also the strut bar but that was a shoddy job. It was orange/black/bare metal/rust before. Horrid.

rmsb.jpg

chb6.jpg

y7fk.jpg

Also wanted to apply some paint protection, started cleaning the car to get it ready for a coat of Cquartz. Then found that the bonnet and roof in places have some odd marks, like water stains but they're embedded in the paint. Claying didn't remove them. So I polished them out but that didn't work either, it just made it a bit better. Any idea what this might be? The unevenness is just fibreglass.

zy7z.jpg

After polish:

goje.jpg

Obviously, as I put the Cquartz coat on, a storm came along. Not sure what to do now, I wiped it down after about 30 minutes but the bonnet already had quite a lot of droplets on it.

av9d.jpg

ndca.jpg

And this is how it always ends, under a big tree... Oh and managed to source the black plastic bit under the bumper. Took me ages to find one, turned out my mate had about 3.

5jv8.jpg

Also ordered a pair of rain tyres so will now have a complete set, 250mm Dunlop racing slicks, 240 Yokohama racing slicks, rain and dry set will be on newly powder coated black wheels and white wheels. Couldn't decide which colour to go with so chose both. White should work better when it's dry while black will look good in the rain when dirty? AST suspension should be arriving this week hopefully. That marks the end of imminent upgrades, next is a fully carbon fibre roof and a dogbox, probably in the winter. Was going to do some mods to the engine but I'm a bit apprehensive about that. My friends run theirs @ 350bhp with just better breathing and exhaust, plus a VANOS delete and standalone. But they've ALL experienced electronic issues of some sort.

Love that M3, it is freaking awesome

I had a few spare free minutes in the workshop this evening and saw some broken mk4 R32 lights and a broken 7" light... oh and an HID kit

Now trying to decide if I want to do this properly for the Porsche/Commer/T25 seeing as they all use the same light units, and it would be pretty cool

2013-07-02185841_zpsefbd0dec.jpg

2013-07-02211110_zpsaf44490c.jpg

2013-07-02211135_zps03972d69.jpg

Shame it has nasty 6000k bulbs instead of 4300k but you get the idea...