The Car Thread

MadManMike

Cheaper to insure then non turbo as im only 19, can you tell me some positive and negative facts?

As a whole, the cars are really good. Great build quality and very reliable but mine was terrible on fuel. As others can vouch, the A3 (and Golf/Leon etc) are great platforms but get one with a good engine. If you want good economy, get the diesel. If you want performance, get the turbo.

As a whole, the cars are really good. Great build quality and very reliable but mine was terrible on fuel. As others can vouch, the A3 (and Golf/Leon etc) are great platforms but get one with a good engine. If you want good economy, get the diesel. If you want performance, get the turbo.

the se 1.8 petrol is the cheapest out of the diesel and the T model, so basically i should be looking to buy one from a women/old person rather then a boy racer?

edit: just noticed i put its cheaper to insure then non turbo, i mean cheaper to insure then the turbo

Edited by Rob.

Needs advice on the e36. Has anyone ever fitted the m50 manifold to the 2.8? Or know anyone who has. I got a manifold with the car but literally have no idea on what to do. Also could anyone recommend any good upgrades to the engine I could do to get max power for less than a m3 engine.

Much love.

o3ah.jpg
7w4n.jpg
dxs0.jpg
g6gg.jpg
Turns out that many of my BMW Challenge rallysprint competitors are ex rally/racing/hillclimb champions. I was stunned while talking to one of them who got his first title 8 years ago in the rally of Poland. He says that this seemingly amateur competition without a doubt houses the best drivers in the country. Many drivers from this series who haven't even come close to a podium finish at the end of the season have taken part in the national rally cup and won their classes, those who could afford it moved on to the rally championships and continued to win. I'm absolutely stunned by this.
  • Like 2

it's very often the case in top level motorsport that the majority are there due to finances rather than Talent Alex,

In the british touring car championship, I think only 1-2 of the ~20 car field are paid drivers, the rest all pay for their drives, roughly £250k per year.

The talented ones often seem to be sons of team owners, driving for family teams (Matt Neal, Andy Jordan etc), with second team drivers being a paid entry.

As a result, the mix of talent can be pretty wide spread, if you look at some of the in car footage from the back markers in BTCC, some of them really arn't all that!

• Like 1

Needs advice on the e36. Has anyone ever fitted the m50 manifold to the 2.8? Or know anyone who has. I got a manifold with the car but literally have no idea on what to do. Also could anyone recommend any good upgrades to the engine I could do to get max power for less than a m3 engine.

Much love.

I have. I just bought a home made kit off eBay which had all the elbows/pipes needed, then found a guide to do the job. It all goes straight forward and you can see what to do as you go. The only issue I had was re-seating the injectors on the fuel rail.

You won't get any mega power gains on the m52 without spending big bucks. Honestly it would be cheaper to get an m3 3.0 engine in there. Or a 3.2 evo engine but they cost a little more and use some different parts. (Yes I'm thinking of going m3 evo in my 328 touring)

The past few days i've been cleaning out the inlet manifold as it's got 126k worth of soot built up on it. It was so thick and wasn't helping things flow. Took so much time but eventually demolished it with caustic soda. Nothing worked as fast, even leaving it in petrol for hours barely moved it.

9715122271_d7d39d47b4_c.jpg

After!

9715119947_e069a1f237_c.jpg

9715117307_38ee039e7a_c.jpg

Haven't had chance to give it a good run yet though as my insurance ran out yesterday.

• Like 1

it's very often the case in top level motorsport that the majority are there due to finances rather than Talent Alex,

In the british touring car championship, I think only 1-2 of the ~20 car field are paid drivers, the rest all pay for their drives, roughly £250k per year.

The talented ones often seem to be sons of team owners, driving for family teams (Matt Neal, Andy Jordan etc), with second team drivers being a paid entry.

As a result, the mix of talent can be pretty wide spread, if you look at some of the in car footage from the back markers in BTCC, some of them really arn't all that!

Interesting point. I thought BTCC was full of epic drivers but then I only find myself watching early 90's races. I came across a recent one and wasn't too impressed.

Over here, hillclimb is where the rich people go. It's apparently not uncommon for these guys to look for competitors, pay their entry fee and cover some of the costs involved in participating. My friend not only had the entry fee paid, he was also given a car in which he posted a better time than its owner who invited him to the competition :P The reason they do this is that in some classes there aren't enough competitors for the winners to get a title. The only way they can get a title is to pay other drivers to take part. I'm hoping to make use of this next year, I think a forum post stating that I'd like to take part but can't afford it will do the job.

Some clips from the outside for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbBM8kgMg0

So I have finally got my ignition timing right, but annoyingly the lumpyness at around 2k and at idle is very much present. I'm going to replace my spark plugs tomorrow, but I have a feeling my HT leads are to blame, could they be responsible for lumping? Wondering if it's a misfire that smooths out when going into higher revs as you notice it less?

Yeah, main issue with a mk1 breadvan's the lack of existing. Mk2 and mk2f (or mk3 if you want to call it that, it's confusing) are the only ones that came with the option of breadvan or coupe. They're pretty tough little cars really, as Jolfa says, rust's an issue, but unless they've got the plastic sill covers on then it's easily spotted. There's 2 different 5 speed boxes, close and long ratio, if you want to be comfy on the motorway the long one's quite a bonus (often refered to as a '4+e' box, as the first 4 gears are the same as the 4 speed but with a long 5th added, while the close one's 5's not much longer than 4th in the 4 speeds.) Mechanically they're tough, only real issue I can think of off the top of my head's the head gaskets leaking oil down the block, which is quite common, but a gasket change on them's really easy. Very easy cars to work on too, which is a bonus, as you can have pretty much anything sorted in an afternoon. Plus parts are dirt cheap. I did a cambelt on one in a tesco carpark during my college lunch break once, I was about 20 minutes late for my lecture, but considering my cambelt had just gone, I thought that was pretty good! (well, a polo 1.3 engine in a golf) The cambelt cost £8 and the water-pump that doubles up as a tensioner was £25. Oh, and bushes on the front ARB/lower arms make a big difference to how well they drive, but again, they're cheap and easy.

PS, if you really do mean a mk1, then they're mechanically the same other than a few little changes to the engine, mechanical lifters and stuff. Still pretty simple cheap and tough, and all the mk2/2f stuff will drop straight in if things are rare or hard to get hold of.

Edited by RobinJI