The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well, I got straight on it on Thursday afternoon – mainly because I was having a dog of a day in the office, and partly because I had a golf day on the Friday and wanted my car to at least be shiny so it didn't look like such a shit heap.

First, I snow foamed it off and gave it a quick wash:

post-497-0-04783100-1403522094_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-16678400-1403522142_thumb.jpg

Then I got my new DAS-6 out and forgot to take pictures, because I was too into actually getting it done. I originally planned to get two passes of polishing done – once with the cutting pad, and once with the finishing, but alas we had plans Thursday evening and I only got time to do the first pass. It doesn't really look that different in the pics, but I can promise it looks shiny in the flesh:

post-497-0-67309900-1403522348_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-88698300-1403522400_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting time for another go properly. I think it'll come up a lot better with more prep and time. I definitely made a massive error by polishing the bonnet first not long after I'd got home – warm paint seems to have moved around quite a bit so that's going to need some more attention. Now that I've sealed it with some Project 32 and whatnot now, though, I'll probably use it on Hayley's next – mainly to keep her happy with my purchase but also to practise more on her paint!

Cheers for the advice Jardo, definitely happy I went down that route.

Just had a blast in a Fiat 126 (off the road of course)

Such fun!

Also, providing I pass my test on the 23rd of next month, who knows the ins and outs of getting a SORN car to a test station?

This little Corsa needs testing and taxing, and I'd ideally like to have it tested at work, but its 70 miles away..
So far as I can make out, so long as its insured and I have proof of a pre-booked MOT Test for that date, I'm okay to drive it to the test station without a current MOT or tax.

Edited by SamKidney

Fantastic JD.

A DA is the key to stepping up from getting good results which eventually fade, and fantastic results which last. I knew you would be ok with it, being a man of reasonable intelligence.

Edited by Pashley26

So far as I can make out, so long as its insured and I have proof of a pre-booked MOT Test for that date, I'm okay to drive it to the test station without a current MOT or tax.

As far as i understand yes. They could argue 70 miles is a bit silly though.

Fantastic JD.

A DA is the key to stepping up from getting good results which eventually fade, and fantastic results which last. I knew you would be ok with it, being a man of reasonable intelligence.

Yea, just looking forward to doing it properly again soon :) Wouldn't mind using something a bit more aggressive than Cherry Glaze too – any recommendations for the cutting phase? It's very therapeutic to do – I certainly won't be doing it as much as you, but it'll be fun every now and again.

All pressure in the boost/turbo has gone. Feels tediously slow now, will spend the evening working on it once I get home. Any ideas where to look at? Never ever dealt with turbos in my life so it's a whole new thing for me so treat me as if I'm a retard.

Yea, just looking forward to doing it properly again soon :) Wouldn't mind using something a bit more aggressive than Cherry Glaze too any recommendations for the cutting phase? It's very therapeutic to do I certainly won't be doing it as much as you, but it'll be fun every now and again.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/meguiars-105-ultra-cut-compound-8oz/prod_822.html

Use the "pinnacle" method.

Start at one. Increase speed by 1 notch gradually until you get to 6, when you are at 6 the abrasives will have worn away to it being a fine polish.

Then glaze.

• Like 1

All pressure in the boost/turbo has gone. Feels tediously slow now, will spend the evening working on it once I get home. Any ideas where to look at? Never ever dealt with turbos in my life so it's a whole new thing for me so treat me as if I'm a retard.

Any hissing/whistling when you floor it? Could be a boost leak in any piping anywhere from the turbo along via the intercooler to your TB.

You've had it a few days and its a banger!??

(Not that I can say much, given my recent car lasting about 70miles)

Hey don't talk about my old car like that! Haha

My guess is a boost hose has popped off or check the boost gauge wiring mate. Have a look under the bonnet.

Craig it won't be that as all the boost pipes have been updated with the intercooler (don't mean to sound like a know it all jerk here, you didn't know) :)

Strange that it's happened though as I never once experienced a boost hose pop off. Wish you lived closer Jake would love to help you too :(

Edited by dann2707

I have been enjoying putting my foot down! Not disheartened at all :) all part of the experience!

Going to get started on it now! Will let you guys know how it goes. LOTS of smoke comes when engine is turning, seems to be making a hollow sort of noise according to a friend and from the back half. Most likely exhaust. Low mpg too driving home.

Nah it's fine. I got pulled over driving a Morris 1100 back from Grimsby on a booked MOT once.

Laws the law :)

Yep, there's no mileage limit on it. Gets discussed at length on a lot of forums i'm on and there are a few coppers on there.

Agh couldn't find the problem on the ibiza despite looking all over for an hour and a half. Found one boost gauge pipe loose and that was it, going to have to drive it to college tomorrow with heaps of smoke pouring out of the back of it...

:/

Agh couldn't find the problem on the ibiza despite looking all over for an hour and a half. Found one boost gauge pipe loose and that was it, going to have to drive it to college tomorrow with heaps of smoke pouring out of the back of it...

:/

MAF sensor? Sticky turbo vanes?