The Car Thread

MadManMike

Hmm, I quite like having the reliability of the bullet proof Mazda engine though. All the reading I've done suggests they stay reliable as long as you don't try and squeeze too much power out. Figures around the 170 mark seem relatively low cost to achieve and shouldn't put too much strain on the components.

One I went out in was close to 240 and the guy had changed most parts to accommodate the power.

I don't have the money for anything like that at the moment anyway, but it's a future plan anyway :)

I'm going to film myself driving around just using 1st, 3rd and 5th just to piss Jardo off :P

It really doesn't bother me 'that' much.

I don't know why people of the internet think I remotely give a flying f**k about whatever they do, very few of you I will ever meet or care to meet. I'm simply throwing up my opinions for you to listen to if you want to.

Drive around with your dick in your hand drinking 7up through curly straws for all I care, I really don't care.

• Like 1

My argument is that by forcing the gearbox to change it's speed as quickly as incorrectly changing gear does there will be excessive wear on syncromesh gears and end bearings.

Skipping from third to fifth and missing out the potentially 1:1 ratio which is critical for smoothness just annoys me.

It pisses me off, it's just lazy incompetence and totally unneeded.

It's been my pet hate for my entire life as a passenger. As Prawn will testify. We have many arguments about it.

My dad says the same, and if he says it he's right.

You are one weird f**ker.

• Like 3

On a serious note, if your changing gear and skipping one, by slowly lettting the gearbox change its speed, why would it be an issue?

I only ever skip a gear when overtaking, and it happens like this:

Your stuck behind someone (usually doing about 40).

you see a gap to overtake, so you drop it from 4th to 3rd and give it some to overtake.

When your cleanly past them (usually doing about 60 at this point), you slowly shift it from 3rd to 5th (letting the engine revs drop at their own rate to the right point)

You are one weird f**ker.

In your haste to be a pedantic f**kwit you've forgot to highlight the key point there.

as a passenger.

Am I going to be a passenger with you guys whilst you're banging on about how you change gears like spastics?

I'm pretty irrational, but come on. Don't be that much of an an idiot and suggest that I'm in some way going to be outraged by suggestions of doing something stupid on the internet.

How on earth do you guys think I manage to get through life? You do me absolutely no justice or credit at all. I'm the second best Fiat salesman in the country for f**k sake, my job is entirely based around customer satisfaction, locking myself in cars with strangers and being able to get on with them in a reasonable and professional manner and then guiding them through what is usually one of the largest purchases of their lives. I use TF as a sounding board to just get it all out and tell people exactly how I see it because I spend all day being so utterly amenable and courteous to people that I'd quite enjoy punching in the face.

It amazes me that TF seem to think I'm some sort of socially inept thunder-fanny...

Edited by Pashley26

on non-jardo related news, this pissed me off:

post-36867-0-02813300-1419374827_thumb.j

Long story short, brought one of these off ebay, one of the reducers is the wrong size. Spent AGES arguying with them, gave up in the end.

Left them negative feedback, to which they messaged me, asking if i wanted them to send the right size reducer to me.

i said yes, so by 24 express, they sent me the ENTIRE THING <_<

I use TF as a sounding board to just get it all out and tell people exactly how I see it because I spend all day being so utterly amenable and courteous to people that I'd quite enjoy punching in the face.

Me too, high five! Although I mainly use Edition :lol:

Still, youre wrong, skipping a gear (with matched revs) will do shit all to harm a gearbox :P

With my old shitbox city rover (I had it from 5k-35k miles so gearbox was still as good as it got on that car) I learned to rev match perfectly for up and downshifting. Used to practice driving to and from work only using the clutch for 1st.

I'm scared to do it in my 15year old 83k miles mr2 just incase a synchro shits itself :( It's still silky smooth so I'd like to keep it that way.

I do occasionally go 1st-3rd-5th depending on how bothered I can be, always rev match though.

I've always used all the gears, just because it was habit. I tried doing the 1st - 3rd - 5th this morning and it felt odd. Saves effort, but I think I like climbing through the gears.

In car news, I just purchased some crystal headlamps and Osram nightbreaker bulbs.

LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Nightbreakers are awesome, I have some with a new harness I built so the lights go directly off the battery which was a big improvement. Could you get some photos of the crystals vs standards? I'd quite like some for the Porsche if they are really worth it

Yes I will get photos, though the comparison might not be fair - as I have an early Eunos it comes with the really crap sealed units, I'd imagine anything would be an upgrade. Honestly, they're scarily bad.

I won't get them delivered until 5th of Jan, so you've got a bit of a wait for the photos :)