The Car Thread

MadManMike

And on skipping gears, where I live the highest speed limit is 90 kph and I very rarely drive on that road so most of the time Im doing 70 - 80 kph and I prefer doing those kinds of speed in 5th because it uses half as much fuel as in 4th at those speeds.

I do use 4th when driving in the town at 50 though.

Yeah from what Ive read, if it was the mounts the shifter would stick in 5th and have the same kind of resistance going back to neutral.

Dad has suggested some oil they used to put in every gearbox and it would fix most problems, some kind of miracle oil.

If I cant find that, do you have any suggestions on good oils that I should look for?

But 3rd and 5th don't existing when tootling around surely?

What?

My argument is that by forcing the gearbox to change it's speed as quickly as incorrectly changing gear does there will be excessive wear on syncromesh gears and end bearings.

Skipping from third to fifth and missing out the potentially 1:1 ratio which is critical for smoothness just annoys me.

It pisses me off, it's just lazy incompetence and totally unneeded.

It's been my pet hate for my entire life as a passenger. As Prawn will testify. We have many arguments about it.

My dad says the same, and if he says it he's right.

I drop into 2nd around town a fair bit, just because I love the noise it makes :D

My car sucks on fuel in any gear other than 5th @ 60/70mph, so no worries about consuming more in 2nd.

Having had a ride in a couple of supercharged 5's, I'm increasingly keen to get one - I always said I wanted this for its simplicity, but the supercharged ones are so much fun it's unreal. Take an amazingly fun car and add more power = win.