The Car Thread

MadManMike

He's talking about fitting lower profile tyres though, which will drop it from where it is now (unless he goes up in rim diameter to compensate, of course).

Pucks/raisers will give an inch or so which is fine, but any more than that you're going to struggle without some serious fabrication and I get the impression he's not looking to do that?

May sound massively gay but I quite like the idea of having the tyres in the arch haha, and yeah it's currently low and isn't really an issue. Not gonna have it silly low where I can't use it.

Its a 1y 1.9 non turbo diesel.

Just wanted to see what your opinions were on it, probably won't do it, I definitely need the arches rolled though as the tyres scrub bad. Was considering 15" wheels rather than the 14" ones I've got on it which as bbs ra from the original golfs, quite nice wheels to be honest.

Was thinking of lensos bbs split reps but 600 for 4 and I'd have to polish them a fair bit doesn't appeal to me massively especially when the bodywork is ratty.

Hockey pucks under engine mounts haha wow, may look into that but also the drive shaft being a different angle was something I forgot to consider....

If it's only minor then shafts should be fine, just a little extra wear on CV joints perhaps. Depends how far you're planning to go though. Best bet would be to check out some builds online and see how other people have gone about it as there's clearly a solution about, just need to work out if it's doable for your skills/budget.

Any engine raise in the Caddy will require fabrication. The engine mounts, exhaust downpipe and probably gear linkage will need modifying as a minimum, you can't just put hockey pucks under the mounts as the engine mounts completely differently to the cars people do that on. The engine doesn't really sit any lower than the lower arm mounts do, and the sump's steel and bloody tough. I wouldn't treat it as too much of a priority to move it up unless you want to go REALLY low.

If you want it to look lower and get the tyre closer to the arch, without loosing ground clearance then 15s would be the way to go. You should be able to pick up some cool 15s for sensible money second hand, it's such a common wheel fitment and size. Smaller tyres on the 14s will give you more arch gap and less ground clearance. Just depends what look you want really.

• Like 1