The Car Thread

MadManMike

I was kind of hoping for the low and wide 90's German look that Mk2's had back in the day.

10994340_1606446599570515_19901593838632

I have kind of pulled it off.

Looking at things online, I kind of wish I had of gone wide track. But I can always run spacers I guess :/

Low and wide look by changing the headlights?

#Jardologic

• Like 1

Anyway, introducing my new home -

Whens the house warming party?

I have an image of your tearing down a dusty track with that cheeky-ass grin on your face, sniggering like mutley!

All the best brother. Many big thankyous for all the golf help over the years (Y)

May you be rewarded :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Are S3's any good? (How long is a piece of string?)

I'm currently having a pipe dream and thinking about purchasing a car just to do all the mods that I can't do to my daily. I've just purchased my first home and have ample outdoor space to keep one :) I really like my LC in nearly every way so was thinking of an LCR but then I thought if I'm hopefully running quite a bit of power (I have a target in my head around 350bhp) then I don't know how well it will be able to put this down. This is where the S3 thought came in although I really don't think the car has anywhere near the looks of an LCR. Body kit?

Edit: ~2005 Audi TT (225/quattro) hmmm they are growing on me :$

Edited by David

Are S3's any good? (How long is a piece of string?)

I'm currently having a pipe dream and thinking about purchasing a car just to do all the mods that I can't do to my daily. I've just purchased my first home and have ample outdoor space to keep one :) I really like my LC in nearly every way so was thinking of an LCR but then I thought if I'm hopefully running quite a bit of power (I have a target in my head around 350bhp) then I don't know how well it will be able to put this down. This is where the S3 thought came in although I really don't think the car has anywhere near the looks of an LCR. Body kit?

Edit: ~2005 Audi TT (225/quattro) hmmm they are growing on me :$

I'd rather take the LCR over the others - yes, it's "only" 2wd but that's no real issue compared to Haldex which is just additional weight, and the upgraded spec (red: Brembos) make it worth doing Nick seems to manage with 350bhp+ on a FWD setup, so unless you're looking to go far beyond this I wouldn't worry too much. If other, non-VAG cars are possibilities then obviously 4WD would be a rather pleasant option though.

I'm going full circle. I can't believe I'm saying this.

Daily driver, with 290ishbhp, and decent handling mods and a set of LCR Brembos...

An S3 would absolutely annihilate an LCR in every way other than outright speed.

Prawn drove mine a fair bit, and for a 'put your foot down, go out and enjoy it' car it was insanely fast in the real world.

They're pretty confidence inspiring once you get the setup right.

All personal preference though I guess.

...kinda had my heart set on a Delica but they're so damn expensive!

Swapped my Focus for this for the past month:

beast.jpg

Double bed in the back with plenty of room for storage. It's pretty rad. I really like how simple the engine/layout is - it's just all really simple and functional. The only 'problem' with it is it's got a non-standard, bigger engine in there and the lack of cooling is a bit of a hassle at times. Going up some of the bigger passes here the engine temp creeps up a bit, but if you just cruise rather than gunning it it's fine really.

• Like 3

ute1.jpg

ute2.jpg

This beast is parked up just down the road from my brother's place over here. Photos don't really do it justice, it looks f**king rad in person. So many cooler old cars like this around, it was a pleasant surprise when I first came over here!

• Like 1

Swapped my Focus for this for the past month:

beast.jpg

Double bed in the back with plenty of room for storage. It's pretty rad. I really like how simple the engine/layout is - it's just all really simple and functional. The only 'problem' with it is it's got a non-standard, bigger engine in there and the lack of cooling is a bit of a hassle at times. Going up some of the bigger passes here the engine temp creeps up a bit, but if you just cruise rather than gunning it it's fine really.

That looks awesome! Where are you?

On the heating front, beware strong tail winds. In my old fiesta the temp gauge went right up to red, so we turned back to find a garage. On the way back, the temperature went back down to normal levels. So thinking it was just a blip, we turned around again to continue our travels. This happened a few times until we realised the wind was blowing in the same direction we were driving :)

My mate has been getting excited since December about the new Mazda 3 he ordered from me.

The car will be here next week, and he's super pumped.

I just emailed him the confirmation of registration document for his new car, RJ15 NOB.

Haha!!!

Mazda? I thought you pedalled Fiat?

I'm going full circle. I can't believe I'm saying this.

Daily driver, with 290ishbhp, and decent handling mods and a set of LCR Brembos...

An S3 would absolutely annihilate an LCR in every way other than outright speed.

Prawn drove mine a fair bit, and for a 'put your foot down, go out and enjoy it' car it was insanely fast in the real world.

They're pretty confidence inspiring once you get the setup right.

All personal preference though I guess.

I seem to remember both Nick and Alan both saying and agreeing that the FWD setup of the A3 was better than the 4WD of the S3. Otherwise they would have started the build from an S3.

Nick's car is hardly a standard car though, so maybe you are commenting in reference to Std spec to Std spec.

If I remember correctly Jardo, not many of us intend to keep our car specs Std for long.

I intentionally bought my LCR over the S3, golfs, A3's, the Hatch Scoobie and the various evos, 350 and 370z's and eventually the quattro TT's.

The 350 and 370z's I couldn't get a bike in because of the bullshit strut brace built in. The Evo's would still probably be better, but hard to live with and mega on insurance. Scoobie just doesn't look right and the handling benefits of the 4WD system don't seem to outweigh the cons of poorer fuel economy. The S3 only sends power to the rear wheels when it is needed so for me the extra weight of having it doesn't see a benefit. which only really left the Leons, Golf's and A3's that could hold a bike, be practical, okay on fuel and insurance and handle the power well. Out of those, the LCR is the best equipped and IMO the best looking from Std. I did look into the TT's as well, but could never decide if I wanted to try to squeeze a bike in and out of it every week.

There is no denying that the S3 can probably pull off the line faster at the same BHP and torque as the LCR's, and has potential to corner better, but in reality that isn't going to happen. Good tyres, good suspension set up, good weight distribution, torsional rigidity, big brakes, power and eventually aero is what everyone will need to make faster cars. I am also pretty certain the LCR's have a better aero profile than the S3's and I intend to prove it one day. So we shall see in the long run Jardo.

EDIT: That said, you can't go too mad with power on FWD due to inevitable torque steer, but up until that 350-400 BHP point it should be good.

Edited by Ash-Kennard