The Car Thread

MadManMike

George, I've been in a Civic with a Quaife diff in it, was completely magical compared to the normal FWD frustration. Glad you like it!

I really NEED you to drive my car at some point Adam.

Not because I think it's magical, but because you know so much more than me about handling and what's good / what' not in general.

I'd genuinely love some feedback on how it drives, and how I drive it also.

Now that you're a qualified ARDS instructor, are you potentially available for hire :lol: ? I'd be dead keen!

I think I'd need to retrofit some sliders on the drivers seat first though. Haha.

Haha, yeah, happy to come and jump in with you Nick, as long as it's not too far! Have done a day for MSV (more booked for the future) and a couple of private bookings so far but I have mates rates too (lunch and a driver wristband, sort of thing) ;) I'll bring some cushions :giggle:

You know where to find me!

Does this qualify under crazy rally action footage? 7:30 and onward specifically. I used to compete with this guy and now the stuff he's doing seems utterly insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnnMAZ4fRL0

If thats your thing you need to check out stuff like the Irish tarmac rally championship or the coverage of rally Isle of Man/Manx National rally and the Jim Clark rally on special stage's YT channel (2nd playlist down).

Actually I've just thought of a vid that'll match yours and context perfectly as this stage is still used in this form. BRB.

EDIT: Right, found it. Ripped from a Duke Video VHS - Ari Vatanen (different league of driver, I know), 1983 Manx Rally, in a peaky 275hp@7200revs works Opel Manta, defying hedges, cattle grids, low cloud, greasy Manx roads, cut slicks, up to 500m drops, and a puncture. Hope people get a kick out of this.

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

I love watching rally vids cos the cars look so easy to drive. Bags of warning before any slides, loads of compliance. Even with the sound off you can tell when the car is about to oversteer. Massive balls to drive that fast with such little (no!) run-off though...

I love watching rally vids cos the cars look so easy to drive. Bags of warning before any slides, loads of compliance. Even with the sound off you can tell when the car is about to oversteer. Massive balls to drive that fast with such little (no!) run-off though...

The Isle of Man is a man's place, stunning scenery but harsh and unforgiving. Mabye it means more to me because i've been though Tholt-y-will many times as a link between Sulby Claddagh and the bungalow (this prob means nothing to most who read this)

Re watch it with the sound on though, the pace notes are interesting to hear & you've missed the point...

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

Haha, yeah, happy to come and jump in with you Nick, as long as it's not too far! Have done a day for MSV (more booked for the future) and a couple of private bookings so far but I have mates rates too (lunch and a driver wristband, sort of thing) ;) I'll bring some cushions :giggle:

You know where to find me!

Either your 'mates rates' are still FAR too cheap, or you eat FAAAAAAAARRRR too much lunch :lol:

I will absolutely most definitely be in touch :) A few laps with you back at over 2 years ago were exceedingly helpful in just a short space of time. A bit more time and some driver swapping / damper tweaking could be an awesome day out indeed!

I've wanted someone more experienced to drive the car for a while to give me some feedback on it, so combining that with a bit of guidance might be a great idea :)

I know where to find you ;)

• Like 1

f**king chuffed with myself.

I'm far from being a mechanic, I usually pass the tools whilst a mate does the work. However, after work today I set about getting the manifold off my car.

Bonnet up, I set about soaking the heatshield with plusgas, as it appeared to be held on by 5 bits of rust. They came off with no trouble at all.

I took the airbox off to allow better access to the manifold (And to remove the heatshield). What greeted me underneath the heatshield was quite frankly the worst looking set of bolts I've ever seen. So rusty you couldn't even make out a thread on them.

Once again I reached for the trusty plusgas and gave each bolt a damn good spraying (Hiyoooooo). I left it to soak in while I attacked the bolts on the bottom of the manifold, knowing they were already loose enough. Ten or so minutes later I put the socket on the first top bolt and applied a bit of force - no movement. Despite everyone telling me I'd definitely snap some bolts, I thought I'd carry on trying. Picking up the biggest adjustable wrench I could find, I gave the ratchet a good twatting 3 or 4 times.

On the final blow, a small crack was heard and the bolt moved - WINNER. Repeat this over the 7 or 8 bolts and I've now got a manifold that isn't attached to the engine!

Hit a bit of a roadblock, in that the snapped stud that's causing the issue is preventing the manifold from being removed completely, so I've gotta take the downpipe off to get the manifold off.

If all goes to plan tomorrow, I'll have the manifold off and the offending stud drilled out. Hopefully with enough day light left to put it all back together again and fit the exhaust properly.

Pleased that I took the leap, against a lot of peoples advice - as The Prodigy once said: "f**k 'em, and their law".

• Like 7

Things aren't always as bad as they seem :)

No better way to learn than to get stuck in and at least try it for yourself.

Micra has been given one more lease of life for the next 12 months by the skin of its teeth. More time to find a suitable replacement