The Car Thread

MadManMike

Stainless steel cold welds itself together, same as titanium. Basically if you don't lather it in antisieze it will never come undone once torqued up properly. This is obviously with proper threaded fixings as opposed to jubilee clips which only have 1/4 circumference thread so you will likely not sieze them.

We have this issue all the time with the water authorities, they specific stainless fixings below water level where they might need to be undone because they don't rust. All well and good when you have to grind the bolts off because they're siezed so solid they will never move! A properly galvanised fixing won't sieze and will last just as long in harsh environments (i'm talking about sewage here for reference).

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

I'm looking to ghetto refurb my wheels, can anyone help with products?

Basically I'm looking to clean off all the bubbling, peeling lacquer, polish them back to being smooth and then paint them gold.

Any help with any of those processes would be appreciated, there's a million different guides online but they all suggest different things...

Paint them black. Literally can't f**k it up.

Can you get the tires off? You can buy size specific cards which press between the tire and rim so they give you no over spray.

Not a fan of black wheels.

Could get the tyres off, but can't be arsed to do that. I was planning on doing one at a time, chuck a spare on while I refurb each one.

I was planning on using cards as suggested, with a black bag over the tyres as further protection.

What's the best thing to use to get rid of all the crap on the wheels? Really rough sand paper? I know nothing about this kinda thing.

Looking for a bit of advice from you car folks.

I am looking to change my car. Quite fancy an S3 or a 330 coupe (e46).

My car is probably worth between 1500-1800. (Ibiza tdi, remapped - 170bhp, 125k, 2004, and some other little mods).

I've been offered this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505053184796/sort/default/channel/cars/model/3_series/radius/1500/transmission/manual/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/usedcars/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/body-type/coupe/page/1/postcode/bd163bz/make/bmw?logcode=p

And they want to swap for mine + £600

Or, I could sell mine on ebay again hopefully get the amount above. And then find one a bit nearer ideally lower miles and perhaps newer. But probably have to put more money in to do so.

Opinions folks.

P.S I'm trying not to put too much money in as trying to buy a house, hence me not buying something newer (yet).

Edit: for reference I've also spotted these on autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503091555567/sort/default/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/usedcars/make/audi/channel/cars/postcode/bd163bz/page/1/quicksearch/true/model/s3?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505173550934/sort/default/transmission/manual/model/3_series/channel/cars/make/bmw/postcode/bd163bz/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/radius/1500/body-type/coupe/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/page/1/usedcars?logcode=p

Obviously more money though

Edited by Wrayvon

Well ive had a wank day.

driving home, came off a roundabout, loud clonking noise and no drive.

Familiar sight:

post-36867-0-10348900-1432063844_thumb.j

Another familiar sight, the arse end of my dad's van....

post-36867-0-27608900-1432063853_thumb.j

Retaining collar for the inner joint ballbearings, 2 chunks missing and cracked.

post-36867-0-92434400-1432063862_thumb.j

Done that well and proper!

• Like 1

Back to the Punto issue of noise around 2 / 2.5k rpm...

I don't think it's the heatshield as it's only doing it when in gear and driving, not when revved in neutral.

Could it still be the heatshield?

Not my car and I haven't driven it much, so I can't be much more descriptive...

It does it when cold and isn't any worse when going up hill. Apparently a bit louder when turning.

A lot of people blast alloys but I really wouldn't recommend it. I've painted a few sets of wheels that gave been blasted and the surface afterwards is just battered. Makes for a lot more prep afterwards.

Totally depends on what blast media they use, I've had bits done here at work and they've come up amazing. Probably a lazy operator not switching the media out between different items?

Looking for a bit of advice from you car folks.

I am looking to change my car. Quite fancy an S3 or a 330 coupe (e46).

My car is probably worth between 1500-1800. (Ibiza tdi, remapped - 170bhp, 125k, 2004, and some other little mods).

I've been offered this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505053184796/sort/default/channel/cars/model/3_series/radius/1500/transmission/manual/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/usedcars/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/body-type/coupe/page/1/postcode/bd163bz/make/bmw?logcode=p

And they want to swap for mine + £600

Or, I could sell mine on ebay again hopefully get the amount above. And then find one a bit nearer ideally lower miles and perhaps newer. But probably have to put more money in to do so.

Opinions folks.

P.S I'm trying not to put too much money in as trying to buy a house, hence me not buying something newer (yet).

Edit: for reference I've also spotted these on autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503091555567/sort/default/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/usedcars/make/audi/channel/cars/postcode/bd163bz/page/1/quicksearch/true/model/s3?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505173550934/sort/default/transmission/manual/model/3_series/channel/cars/make/bmw/postcode/bd163bz/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/radius/1500/body-type/coupe/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/page/1/usedcars?logcode=p

Obviously more money though

This may have been lost with all this talk of wheels :P Shameless bump