The Car Thread

MadManMike

I've only had about 20 mins of day light each day after work, so progress is slow, but here's where I am so far...

--------
Checked:
--------

Intake Manifold - Tight
Fuel Rail - Tight
Alternator Belt - Tight, Loose & Off
Crossover Pipe & Hoses - Tight
Throttle Body - Tight
Idle Valve - Tight

---------
To Check:
---------

PAS Belt / Pump - 
Injector Seals - 
Starter Motor - 
Sanity - 

I know when it's time to give up and pass it to the experts... Now.

I've tested everything I can think of and still can't stop the whistle. It's definitely not alternator or PAS related, but being so high pitch it's difficult to pinpoint exactly where it is.

If anyone has any final ideas before I get a garage to take a look, I'd be massively grateful. It has a high pitch whistle from the engine bay which climbs in pitch slightly when you rev, then at about 3000rpm under load it stops. Car drives OK, but the whistle drives you nuts after a while, it's loud and very high pitch - must be hell for dogs I drive past :lol:

I checked the PCV valve earlier, I hadn't done that before. Not that.

I've heard the cam belt whine when it's too tight, this sound is different - with a tight cam belt it gets louder with revs, mine goes away under load.

I'm starting to think the manifold gasket is shot, but then when I sprayed stuff around it there was no change in revs as you'd expect with a leak.

7 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Problem found: Intake manifold gasket

I have a spare to fit, but that's a job for another day. So glad I finally found the issue, it was starting to drive me nuts.

Glad you (nearly) sorted it, especially after all the work Red has had! 

I'm all out of ideas now...

Swapped the intake manifold gasket today and still the high pitched whistle from the engine bay. I've checked everything I can think of.

Might be time to take it to a garage, but they'll charge loads and most likely go over everything I've already checked.

Frustrating. As. Hell.

14 hours ago, MadManMike said:

I'm all out of ideas now...

Swapped the intake manifold gasket today and still the high pitched whistle from the engine bay. I've checked everything I can think of.

Might be time to take it to a garage, but they'll charge loads and most likely go over everything I've already checked.

Frustrating. As. Hell.

Did you post a video of it mate? 

7 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Did you post a video of it mate? 

I've posted two or three over the month or so I've been having the problem (On Facebook).

I need to get a better video with start, idle, revs and turning off.

It seems to idle a little higher at the moment, so I'm thinking it's an air leak somewhere, but buggered if I can find out where from.

Checked the plugs today, as that was a suggestion yesterday, no problems there.

13 minutes ago, manuel said:

Any suggestions on removing bolts that have been rusted to hell and you can’t get any spanners on as the heads have lost all their shape? 

grind off heads and hope the core comes out ok, or try welding on another bolt? 

Got a pic mate? 

Plusgas, soak it over a number of days, hammer an undersized 12 point socket on and go careful. Ideally you want the socket to engage with decent steel not soft rust, failing that file a new hex head on and use a six point.

edit: or just wang a good pair of molegrips on there after soaking it in plusgas. Trust the plusgas though, I've seen it take out bolts that would otherwise have sheared off as soon as torque was applied.

Edited by forteh

Nope, been using it for close to 30 years though, I used it to strip the engine on my 1936 Norton, I was 11 and it had sat in a barn for 25 years. Every single bolt came free.

My mate was rebuilding the suspension on his mk4 prelude and couldn't shift anything under there, gave him my tin and he had it all off in a day.

Edited by forteh