The Car Thread

MadManMike

Lovely things to hear about my mk2 golf

I got it from a bloke in newark i think called jordan. I must say I have done a lot too it, usually to make up for some of the ropiness, Thats wishbone captive nut was quite a spectacular bodge :lol: Ive put new top mounts in it, new tyres, new bonnet, now anti roll bar bushes and droplinks, new wishbone, new wishbone bolts, new wishbone sleeves, new dizzy, new coil, new fuel pump, new fuel regulator, new heater motor and on and on all finding pleasant findings along the way.

Were you responsible for painting the wheels? They aren't the best job I've ever seen! :giggle:

The seat frames do seem like a bit of a bodge but they have worked and i've never really looked at them.

I'll have a look for this wooden light bodge, I've only looked at the drivers side cause i had to replace a bulb.

It's booked in for it's MOT today, yaya :w00t:

its a ko4 of a audi tt, we havent got it running yet but its got a good amount of goodies :) its a passat.

What exhaust manifold are you using? As far as I was aware, the normal ko4 manifold didn't fit the longitudinal engines? Obviously it bolts up correctly because the blocks are the same, but think it's either something to do with space, or how the downpipe fits?

Never really heard of many people fitting ko4s to passat, could be interesting!

Were you responsible for painting the wheels? They aren't the best job I've ever seen! :giggle:

That wasn't me! :D

Did you find that knocking ever went away? Iirc that bodged bolt was a fraction too thin, it was either off an E36 M3 or my old Quattro :P

Pop that in your description when you sell "M3/Quattto uprated parts fitted" :lol:

Haha what a great idea.

I welded the captive nut back down and put new sleeves in and a wishbone with new bushes in and a new cv joint and the knocking went away. Except recently a knocking has returned cause I think the drop links have worn out again. Mainly because the car is too low at the moment.

Dropped it off at my old workplace for an mot. I'll no doubt be posting a picture of a spectacular fail sheet later today :lol:

My idea at the moment is to get 12 months mot on it and 6 months tax. Put it up for sale at a high price while I'm busy and if it sells then it sells.

Well it failed, but only on the seat not securing In position right. Basically whoever took it adjusted the seat and couldn't get the pin to sit right so it just slid backwards and forwards :L

So now it's got 12 months mot and 6 months tax I'm thinking of putting it up for sale at £1200 to see if by any chance someone will take it. Then when I've got more time on my hands and can go without a car for a bit ill drop it down a bit.

How about 3 O clock and 9 O Clock?

I'm already confused haha :D Too many numbers too: distance, type of corner and direction.

Am I correct in thinking this number plate would be desirable in the UK? Then again, do nerds have cars and money to spend on plates?

970485_307543719375843_1682081376_n.jpg

Nope, that wouldn't be very desirable. Just a standard number plate with "FAN" at the end of it.

My plate is badass, but worthless because it only has meaning to me. Which is the case with most number plates, they're only really worth what somebody will pay for them.

The most expensive ones are the shortest, anything with less than 4 digits is super expensive, but you can make most names or models up for below £500.

A friend of mine had a Clio 172 Cup, plate was R172 CUP, he bought it for £250. He then bought R182 CUP for £250 when he realised how cheap they were.

My understanding's that standard rods will basically be fine with anything a k04 can throw out as long as you don't map in violent features like anti-lag and you're not pumping in gallons of meth to squeeze every last ounce from it. Rule of thumb wise though I've always been lead to believe that around 300lb/ft of torque was the limit for standard rods to be considered 'reliable'. As Jardo said though, it's quite dependant on the delivery of the specific set-up.

Thanks for the reply, That's put my mind to rest :)

What Robin says is spot on.

Where are you going to get it mapped? Where in Devon are you?

I suspect its going to be r-tech, But all in good time with money and time being two issues :), Axminster (Y)

What exhaust manifold are you using? As far as I was aware, the normal ko4 manifold didn't fit the longitudinal engines? Obviously it bolts up correctly because the blocks are the same, but think it's either something to do with space, or how the downpipe fits?

Never really heard of many people fitting ko4s to passat, could be interesting!

Yeah, Its a custom manifold and down pipe jobby, Due too room and different flange attachments. I will get some pictures when its all together :) As far as we can work out it hasn't been done before/ Certainly not very common anyway haha.

So, today started like every other day in the life of the track A3: looking a little rough, odd coloured panels, unloved and unwashed.

89A2D5F7-D6CB-419C-8606-457D27359286-116

Then, in traditional fashion, I pulled some bits off, and it looked even worse:

CFC81EEE-2531-4108-B4EC-D2889C2BA5C1-116

However, summer is getting closer, and it can't stay looking crap forever.

For the last year I've only taken photos of the right hand side mainly, like so:

A5548CC7-56A1-40D8-94DE-6A5EEF100ACA-116

46A12FBD-5BCC-43A9-96A7-96F001A3FFE7-116

But not any more!

9AA35E9C-40D7-45AE-B243-B2376B7A6BB2-116

FE8CF046-5322-4D4E-B993-A78ACFE64FE6-116

066E8135-5797-452B-8AF9-65AE942C4798-116

29E8D8D3-28CC-41E4-B769-FFCB934544A0-116

98FA75F8-5AD1-4E05-ADAD-9BF6230108C7-116

DED28056-D4F9-42C4-92B8-35A98B72A06A-116

8E7176D6-A6C8-48C4-A841-9B5C859B8A41-116

86BDC0F3-756C-4DA3-88A4-5A3D2309B313-116

5607FEAC-46C7-4261-8EB7-82C8BF4FC6E9-116

7804ECDC-0268-45F7-BDEA-C4469EF9DE7A-116

1A762C3B-F257-42D8-81A3-DE7A1AF990B6-116

E31F7F47-C242-40B2-B613-5A639044B82B-116

408AEB7E-09F7-4DA0-AD9F-381CDC44F007-116

I know there are too many photos, and I know many are similar, but I don't care :lol: I'm just so happy to have the car back, as I loved it and remembered it :D

• Like 1

Damn right George! Jamie is going to do both bumpers and my spoiler if /when it ever arrives!

I could do with a new bumper though, this one has been in the wars and isn't the best in places, it'd cost more in work for him to fix than it would to replace.

Then, at some point this summer, he'll spray the right hand side too, so it'll all look brand new :)

Looking real good, prawn!

In other news, i have never known people to get so upset about a car that's not theirs before, Jeeeeeeeeesus...

I've offered people the chance to PX their own Capri against this to save it from the horrific period modifications i want to do to it, no-one's got in touch yet :rolleyes:

I've just become such a scene whore! pictures to follow!

Skoze, f**k em all. I used to think 'no way can you do that to that car!'. But then you realize it's all only shaped metal, somes just survived better then others.

Aye just do it anyway. Someone, somewhere will have a better, more original example anyway.

Plus, improvements are improvements, they make it better! I can't understand the reasoning behind keeping classic cars stock really. They've all had loads of work to keep them going anyway, why put the same components back in when there are go-faster ones available?

Anybody fancy lending me £950? I'm pretty keen that one of these will be my next daily, either in diesel form, or with LPG fitted as soon as I can.

Skoze, sod em. It's not like Capri's are even that rare. Your dads old car doesn't happen to be based anywhere near Weston Super Mare does it? I saw a nice looking white X-pack Capri at a smallish car show there a few months ago.

• Like 1

W123 mercs are f**king immense.

We used to pick them up at auction all the time and always double our money. They drive really well, and look immense with a subtle poke with the lowering stick.

Strong mechanics, pretty trouble free. Biggest issues are fuel pumps and speedos.

Aye just do it anyway. Someone, somewhere will have a better, more original example anyway.

That's exactly what i said. There will always be people with beards to keep the truly mint original cars going, so they'll always be around. My plans for it aren't even that radical, it's all (bar a possible engine swap) things that Ford actually offered back when the cars were still for sale.

Anybody fancy lending me £950? I'm pretty keen that one of these will be my next daily, either in diesel form, or with LPG fitted as soon as I can.

Skoze, sod em. It's not like Capri's are even that rare. Your dads old car doesn't happen to be based anywhere near Weston Super Mare does it? I saw a nice looking white X-pack Capri at a smallish car show there a few months ago.

Don't think so, it could have been though! It's got no spoiler now and has white/ polished RS 4 spokes now, still looks pretty mean. Don't think it's been on the road for a while, but i've not checked up on that for quite a while.

W123s are amazing, dooooooo it! I was looking at getting one to use as a more economical/ sensible daily not so long a go - now i have two completely impractical cars instead :P