The Car Thread

MadManMike

Sweet, but why did you go for a dry sump? Just curious.

Robin, just thought I'd mention that 960's are a fair bit more sophisticated than 940's, so they are quite different cars to drive and work on etc. You probably gathered that already.

Are you the registered keeper? Is it on finance? Have you recently moved house? How long have you had the car?

If you can answer the above questions yes, no, no, more than 2 months, I suggest you go and buy a lottery ticket, and consider yourself very very lucky!

Sweet, but why did you go for a dry sump? Just curious.

Engine is running about 125bhp/litre (n/a), is mounted 90 degrees to how it was designed, and the car pulls 1.5g in the bends and under braking, its a good insurance policy!

• Like 1

Are you the registered keeper? Is it on finance? Have you recently moved house? How long have you had the car?

If you can answer the above questions yes, no, no, more than 2 months, I suggest you go and buy a lottery ticket, and consider yourself very very lucky!

Yes, no, no, two months exactly - but I got pulled the week after I bought it, and all details were already correct on the PNC! Few lads were coming through the same stretch that evening and have had nothing also - looks like it was more there just a deterrent due to a local cruise. Euromillions on tuesday!

Had absolutely horrendous clutch slip yesterday, to the point of 5th and 6th being pretty much unusable. Cue spending hours researching what the best clutch setup is for my mods and price bracket for the rest of the day.

...I then go out today, and not even a glimpse of slip, no matter how hard I drive. Wtf?!

I was wondering why a leaking slave cylinder causes slip, like if the car is in fourth gear, not touching the clutch in anyway then flooring it. Surely the clutch is making full contact with the engine to the gearbox due to the force of the springs on the clutch and surely a drop in clutch pressure wouldn't effect anything?

That's just the way I thought it worked but I'm wondering why so if not?

I was wondering why a leaking slave cylinder causes slip, like if the car is in fourth gear, not touching the clutch in anyway then flooring it. Surely the clutch is making full contact with the engine to the gearbox due to the force of the springs on the clutch and surely a drop in clutch pressure wouldn't effect anything?

That's just the way I thought it worked but I'm wondering why so if not?

It's more a case of if it leaks fluid onto the friction surfaces ;) Like you say, a drop in clutch hydraulic pressure won't cause slip, it'll cause crunchy gears.

Fuuuu that looks quick / like it could end in carnage at any second.

It did, lots of cars with torn off wheels, plus my friend rolled his a few times. The wood/bunker section was full of tree stumps lurking in the grass.

94150852574516746065612.jpg

That looks like amazing fun. Still laugh at the floppy gearstick

Got used to it I guess :P

That fast section looked awesome! Do you get any / many practice runs?

1 run so your co-driver can make pace notes and that's it. If you don't have a co-driver then you're unlucky :P

Still despite the danger, the most fun I've ever had in a car, especially after I knew that there was no chance for a podium finish. Less pressure, more time to enjoy yourself.

f**king hell Alex that's utterly mental, how do you sit down with balls like that?

In me news; is it unreasonable to get pissed off with my mates taking my car out without asking because it's at the workshop, then leaving it in the yard outside covered in shit?

In me news; is it unreasonable to get pissed off with my mates taking my car out without asking because it's at the workshop, then leaving it in the yard outside covered in shit?

Nope. You never f**k with another man's car/bike/pint.

Alex, that video's insane, and does look like amazing fun! As Adam says though, sod that with that little practice!

Not even slightly, I'd be seriously pissed off if someone did that. A quick phone-call and I wouldn't have the slightest issue with them taking it out, assuming they're insured and they chucked some fuel in it, but taking it without asking's not on at all.

Thought not! I wouldn't have cared if i'd been asked, but coming home to a mate of a mate telling me on facebook how much fun it was to drive the last night hasn't put me int he best of moods. It's insured for road risks only on a questionable trader's policy at the moment too so i don't really want it on the road. Think i'm gonna swap it for Bernard here at halls and stick him over at the yard instead.