The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well if I can nab some that would be great :) I can only make Monday though! Hopefully going with Sarah, otherwise I'll tag along with my friends Dan and Peter (not Bracewell). Is Lauren coming?

Also meant to say, thanks Adam! (if I have some haha)

Edited by Paul Oliver

Someone else has two spare as well, so we can defo sort something. Want me to give em to George? If it's easier for you to grab them at the gate fire me your number by email (tarty email address is good - I have my forum PMs turned off, sorry) and I'll give you a shout to arrange. Cheers!

Some Unt© decided it'd be fun to rip the snorkel off Soph's Defender the other night, what a bellend. Looking at £90-odd quid to replace it which is far from the end of the world but is obviously a bit of a kick in the pants.

Don't suppose any of you gents have/knows anyone that may have a snorkel going cheap at all? It's a 200 TDi from what I can make out, mounting onto the passenger side as below:

DA3024-DEFENDER-200-TDi-1990-94-SAFARI-SNORKEL.jpg

• Like 1

I love the sound of that. What power is the passat? 80bhp? Assuming 80bhp that'd give the train a whopping 32bhp/ton! Amazing :)

Yep, 80bhp, that's old school diesel bhp though, so plenty of torque. It wasn't as bad as you'd imagine, it was more than happy sat at 70 all day long, the main issue was the gearing being too wide spaced, so you had to cane the hell out of 4th to get it on boost in 5th, once on boost in 5th at ~65 it was no problem. Trailer might not have been quite 1000kg, but can't have been far off, twin axle all steel trailer must be ~300kg at least, then a Miglia's about 650kg. I've always been impressed with that Passat though, you expect it to be comically underpowered, but it's really not, especially on the motorway. Low weight (for a big estate) and decent aero help a lot I guess.

In case anyone's actually been following my ramblings about my mini project, I've changed my mind again, it will be 4 pot turbo not V6, but with a slight twist on the original plan ;)

Edited by RobinJI

Yeah, looked soo good. My passat is getting ready for bags....

I've been looking into bags too. While lurking on E38 I came across this polish company selling air ride kits cheaps! Seen some good reviews too.

One problem is that the website is all in polish, so I had to use Google Translate to make any sense of it. Also ordering them too could be tricky, as I don't speak polish! But I'll figure that out if I ever get the money for it.

I can run the kit on my TA Technix coilovers too, as they can supply a number of different shocks with their kits, and the TA's were one of the options!

Basically though, a full kit including compressor, tank, management, and lifting each wheel independantly was around £880 for my B5!

http://www.airride-system.pl/

UK supplier - http://www.fab-finishing.com/

I'm still looking into it all though. It'd be a big job to get it all fitted! Would need mine done in a day as it's a daily. Have access to tools and a ramp at work though which makes things easier...

I've been keeping a bit of an eye on air-ride too. It's something I'm a big fan of, and I want it on a daily as soon as I'm sure it's a car I'll keep for long enough. One the one hand I'm tempted to stick air and a PD130 in the B3, as it'd make a cool, slightly unusual car, but on the otherhand I'm quite keen to get something I can tow a little more with, the wont need engine swaps for a bit more poke. Ah well.

If anyone's interested, air installs are something I'm keen to offer from my business once it's up and running properly, as there seems to be a lack of places out there that do a good job of it. There's a few, but not all that many with only positive reviews.

Only thing I've read about cheap air kits it the life span. The bags don't seem to last. Personally I'm gonna build up my own kit, pick of tank an compressors, management, an bags etc.

Dan, I thought about the problem of it being a daily, I think I'm gonna do the boot install, run the lines, wire the management in an get it all working, then just grrr it on a lift an swap the struts. Think that'd be the best way for s daily....

I got a CEL last night and my car went into limp mode, with a very deep exhaust note when on lower revs.

I checked the code and got a p0246 power train turbo waste gate solenoid high. I didn't really know what that that meant, but I knew a common issue was a dirty EGR and MAP sensor, so off they came for a good clean as well as the manifold they mount to. Code was cleared and all seemed well for about 5 miles.

A fresh CEL popped up with 2 new codes

P0244 power train charger waste gate solenoid a range/performance

P0234 over boost condition

Now I wondered if this over boost was down to a dodgy vacuum hose, so I replaced them all with fresh ones. Codes were cleared and the car ran fine for about 1 mile.

After some research I found some people in similar situations, most did the fixes I tried. Possible other things may be a faulty boost control valve (solenoid), dodgy crank sensor (I had a starting problem a month back that was crank sensor related, but after clearing the code the problem has not returned), dirty MAF or a dead turbo.

Turbo is 2 years old, intercooler 3. No signs of trouble on them, pipes all tight and seemingly hole free. Wastegate operates smoothly by hand, no visual signs of wear on the linkage. Boost was great before, with CEL the car is slow to 3k then comes alive, suggesting turbo and intercooler are working fine.

It may be worth noting my cruise control does not work with the CEL light on.

So what next? Anybody got any bright ideas? Have I missed something really obvious?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I only have a week before I go to uni, so really need to get it fixed before I go as I have nowhere to work on it!

5 door AX init?

I'm diggin' it. Axs have always been cool.

Cheers guys :)

i know its not exactly a modern car, but :

i can easily fit 3 stocks in it

Starts first turn of the key and runs sweet as a nut(especially considering its done 180 though miles)

in the 18 months I've had it, its only broken down one; the clutch let go, which cost me £80 to fix

Its a 1.5 Diesel, which means its shit hot on fuel,

And mainly, i brought it with 12 months MOT, and 8 months tax, for a whopping £350 ;)