The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yep you can get that car.

The best 80's are the 2L 8V or the 2.6 V6's. The non turbo 5 pots are a bit shite.

You could get 1.6 and 1.9TD, 1.4 8V, 1.6 8V, 1.8 8V, 2L 8V, 2L 16V, 2.2 turbo and non turbo and 2.3 non turbo, 2.6 and 2.8V6.

They are Mk3 under the shell, super easy to mod. Lots of fans on E38.

Basically any engine from the Corrado/Passat/Mk2/Mk3 Golf was available in the B3/before 80 of which you speak.

The V6's are just awful I had a 2.8 Coupe and it was toilet and any 8v VAG engine isn't worth bothering with (bar the G60 maybe). Other than the S2 (2.2 20v Turbo) the N/A 20v is by far the best engine option.

They're nothing like MK3's underneath, they share no common parts, none of the engines are the same as 'rado/Passat/MK2/Mk3 (some very similar, and they will swap over if you change everything bolted to the block) and modified parts are very limited/incredibly expensive.

And just to top it off, there is no such thing as a factory 5 cylinder 20v Audi 80 saloon. You can get a 4 cylinder 20v cabriolet, a 5 pot 20v coupe or a 10v 80 saloon.

You can however get 20v quattro saloons in 90 flavour, and because I'm the f*cking daddy I've managed to pick up a roadworthy MOT'd example for £320, I collect it tomorrow! :dance:

Edited by Jolfa

I have a soft spot for Audi 80's, strong cars those.

Speaking of well built cars, I couldn't buy a Volvo so I had to make do with drawing one instead. :( Now I remember why I hate drawing cars, they are impossible. Who'd have thought a Volvo would be hard to draw?

post-29859-0-25459200-1346115580_thumb.j

thank you.

by the sound of that they are just scratched, not bent or cracked then.

interesting

Yep. Just a few scratches and damages to the paint :)

if anyone actually ever needs a small translation english - german, or the other way round, shoot me a pm ;)

The V6's are just awful I had a 2.8 Coupe and it was toilet and any 8v VAG engine isn't worth bothering with (bar the G60 maybe). Other than the S2 (2.2 20v Turbo) the N/A 20v is by far the best engine option.

They're nothing like MK3's underneath, they share no common parts, none of the engines are the same as 'rado/Passat/MK2/Mk3 (some very similar, and they will swap over if you change everything bolted to the block) and modified parts are very limited/incredibly expensive.

And just to top it off, there is no such thing as a factory 5 cylinder 20v Audi 80 saloon. You can get a 4 cylinder 20v cabriolet, a 5 pot 20v coupe or a 10v 80 saloon.

You can however get 20v quattro saloons in 90 flavour, and because I'm the f*cking daddy I've managed to pick up a roadworthy MOT'd example for £320, I collect it tomorrow! :dance:

I never said anything about 20V; just listed what engines come in 80's and 90's because lets face it he'll buy the cheapest straight one he can and try and put a V8 in it. I know that the 2.3's are 10V and I'm 99.9% sure that Allen does too. Pretty sure that Allen knows the difference between a B3 80 and a 90 too. I prefer the 90's, especially with a before front end.

It's just the VAG B platform; so B5 A4's and B3/4 Passats should share the majority of components. I haven't had one for a while but I was pretty certain when I had mine that there was a fair few things you could do and "in house" upgrades were quite easy.

Anyway, LOL at your hatred for anything VAG and 8V; you suck Rich. 8V ***.

I'd have a 2L 8V or the 2.6V6 over a 5 pot NA as a daily driver. You've just driven shit ones, my old 2.6 V6 twin turbo estate was f**king awesome for 4000 miles.

DSC00268.jpg

4318_100577730129_1260842_n.jpg

And my awesome Coupe which was the best sub 500 quid car known to man and I wish I never sold!

5895_133627315129_1592114_n.jpg

Such an awesome dash-board.

5895_133627340129_632145_n.jpg

I wonder if you could 1.8t an 80 coupe...

Edited by Pashley26

Camshaft position sensor has failed on my Leon. Takes a few attempts to start (or will start first time in gear). Each time its tries to crank but doesn't, and the key turned off, there is a HUGE pop/bang out of the exhaust. Sounds cool, but can't be good for it haha!

Hopefully a new sensor isn't too much, there's a few on ebay, ranging from £11 to £75, so its just a case of choosing a good one I guess!

...there's always something!

If it makes you feel better I also have fails on my Leon. The traction control light jammed on yesterday then the engine management light came on. Now the traction control system turns on and off as normal but I still have an engine management light. Stupid cars :P

That MX-5 looks pretty sweet Jardo, I raced against a Jota-prepped race car at the weekend actually, this one: http://www.mx5oc.co....ms/t/46610.aspx (in fact that link has pics of the orange one too). £30k though... ooft.

Had a decent weekend away at Snetterton:

snett1.jpg

snett2.jpg

Got a few other pics but the vids have not come out well - think I got suncream on the GoPro lens and housing, then it fogged up, so you can barely see anything :(

George - sorry I missed you! Decided to make a quick getaway after the last race as I knew it'd be a long trip back, didn't get home til after 1:30am in the end...

Tic: TC/ESP and EML on together normally indicates the MAF has gone, but get it vcds'd to confirm. If it is that, don't buy a new one (they are about £100 for a genuine one), I bought a new one for my a3 not long before it was garaged which you can have for cheap if you want? Its easy enough to change, just 2 screws, a jubilee clip and an electrical connector.

Adam: Thought that might have been the case, we stayed til the end of the truck race, than sat in mental queues to get out of the car park! Was a good weekend though, plenty of variety in racing!

I never said anything about 20V; just listed what engines come in 80's and 90's because lets face it he'll buy the cheapest straight one he can and try and put a V8 in it. I know that the 2.3's are 10V and I'm 99.9% sure that Allen does too. Pretty sure that Allen knows the difference between a B3 80 and a 90 too. I prefer the 90's, especially with a before front end.

I'm after another motor..I fancy something with an Audi 80 Saloon Quattro Sport 2.2 20v feel..If such a thing exists?

Yep you can get that car.

Oh, so you didn't :P

Most the 10v's were 2.2, and only the the only 2.2 20v is the turbo versions found in S models, the rest of the 20v's are 2.3 :P you're mighty unlikely to find a 5 pot 80 in any case!

It's just the VAG B platform; so B5 A4's and B3/4 Passats should share the majority of components. I haven't had one for a while but I was pretty certain when I had mine that there was a fair few things you could do and "in house" upgrades were quite easy.

The Passat and MK3 don't share the same platform though, so there's nothing MK3 about a B3/before Audi :wink2:

I'd have a 2L 8V or the 2.6V6 over a 5 pot NA as a daily driver. You've just driven shit ones, my old 2.6 V6 twin turbo estate was f**king awesome for 4000 miles.

V6 twin turbo 80..? I thought it was just a crapbag 2.6 V6 N/A do you have any pics of the engine? I'm sure that was f**cking awesome if it was turbo... :ermm:

My 2.8 Coupe quattro was hardly shit, it had 2 owners and a fsh! Launched like you wouldn't believe but just didn't move after that, they're just motorway cruisers! All VAG engines with 2 valves per cylinder are toilet, the 4 valve options have always been superior!

And my awesome Coupe which was the best sub 500 quid car known to man and I wish I never sold!

Pfft my 2.8 CQ was £380 :lol:

Anyway less bickering, you're not going to back down no matter how wrong you are, you never do :P

Lets have some pictures of my Audis instead :)

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0292-3.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

Image004.jpg

Image005.jpg

:)

My new wheels.. :dance:

MK2 16v rims? Always liked them ^_^

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 1

On the subject of gearboxes, any one have any experience with mk4 golf SDI gearboxes? Some sort of rivet shears, falls into the box and snaps teeth off the gears apparently. A fix is to drill the rivet out and replace with a steel nut and bolt.

Anyone know anything about this? Easy to do? any info really. ta.

Most the 10v's were 2.2, and only the the only 2.2 20v is the turbo versions found in S models, the rest of the 20v's are 2.3 :P you're mighty unlikely to find a 5 pot 80 in any case!

So what car do I need to buy to find this engine??