The Car Thread

MadManMike

I think it's partly that I'm aiming for a slightly more upright driving position than standard, which means my ass has to be a bit lower to get the same head height. I'm not particularly tall at 5'9", but I want good head room for a helmet and cage, and I'd like it if taller friends fitted. 

I wasn't really expecting my shell to be so bad either! I knew if was a bit of a dog, but I didn't think it'd need basically full inner and outer sills! The scary thing is it was all from the inside out. On one side there was only a pretty small hole in the floor, and no sign of anything up from the outside of the sill. 

I've organised a drive around the Peaks next month with the guys I went to Wales with last year. Got my manager to show me all the decent roads around here so he kindly brought me in a map and went through with me the best roads for driving on..

20170616_161838_zps2sr0hwan.jpg

I then came to this plan. 90 miles of pure epic roads finishing on the cat and fiddle. If my car isn't ready i'm just going to buy a 172/182 for this then sell after haha

20170616_163940_zpsvk7yzwfl.jpg

Can't wait.

I received a new mirror after seeing someone elses however I went for the cheapskate version at only £7. Seems to be okay though.

Before

20170616_133453_HDR_zpsarmovyz4.jpg

After

20170616_133748_HDR_zpshgptkmco.jpg

The seats and cage are now in, really happy that it's all pretty much sorted.

20170615_183429_zpsigvo4tkf.jpg

20170615_183602_zpse9fvxrws.jpg

Also received a helmet hammock the other day and i'm waiting on a new helmet. I caused SUCH a f**king stir on tracktime facebook page simply because I asked if anyone could offer me discount on it if they worked for a rally company like tweeks etc. Had so many track day heroes piping up.

The silver/grey really goes though

20170617_133346_zpscxfspqr0.jpg

I'm now waiting on some foglight ducting and flexible hose to finish my brake ducts.

I'll finish on a pic from the other night because no ones seen boris before

20170613_212729_zps0memzws9.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

I caused SUCH a f**king stir on tracktime facebook page

Understatement of the f**king century :lol:

Edit; I should probably comment on your actual post...

Good to see the seats back in the car, makes it all seem so much more complete. Drive looks like it should be a heap of fun too - buy a 172 cup for it then instead of selling it leave it at my house with the keys and V5 yeah?

• Like 1

I have a dilemma...

I had had a niggling flat tyre for months, but the tyres were nearly dead so I didn't bother doing anything with it, until a few weeks back when I had the tyres replaced.

It seems as though the tyre is losing air, and based on the condition of the rim, it's pretty severely corroded, and there's potentially a buckle (wheel wobble, despite geo being ok and tyres balanced) or a crack.

I got a quote for a refurb on all 4 wheels today, as they are all a little old & road rashed, best case £340 for the basic refurb on all four, but depending if the wheel need straightening and welding, it could be up to £480! I will be getting a quote from the company who did my last set on Monday as well.

So my dilemma is this, do I get them, refurbed, and hope it's cheap, or do I bite the bullet and buy all new wheels, and flog the old ones? I won't be buying second hand wheels again, as I've had bad luck ever time, so they will be new-new.

I'm not in the mood for spending this money as I'm currently looking at buying a house, so ultimately cost will be the main factor.

Also - anyone know where I can get 16"x7" 4x100 rims at a decent price?

1 hour ago, Haz said:

Car looks mega dude! Out of interest, what spacer are you using on your steering wheel? I'd like one similar to that...

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

It's 35mm and it's this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-BLACK-Boss-Kit-Spacer-Adapter-Fit-FOR-MOMO-OMP-Aftermarket-Steering-Wheel-/122095151956?

Don't be fooled into paying a million pounds for a spacer, it's a bit of turned alu either way.

Regarding your wheels, my TD's had the same thing with one tyre always going down. I got some AD08r's put on the other day and the wheel was corroded like yours. I think he said he just put a bit of filler on it to hold the seal. Seems to have worked really well. What wheels are they?

17 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

It's 35mm and it's this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-BLACK-Boss-Kit-Spacer-Adapter-Fit-FOR-MOMO-OMP-Aftermarket-Steering-Wheel-/122095151956?

Don't be fooled into paying a million pounds for a spacer, it's a bit of turned alu either way.

Regarding your wheels, my TD's had the same thing with one tyre always going down. I got some AD08r's put on the other day and the wheel was corroded like yours. I think he said he just put a bit of filler on it to hold the seal. Seems to have worked really well. What wheels are they?

That sucks, won't work with my wheel as it's only 6x70PCD, no 6x74PCD

They're Trophy Turinis. Could be a plan, but I can't work out where the leak is!

Went to change my rear brake pads today in preparation for Combe next month.

f**king passenger side caliper is seized. I replaced all the brakes about a year and half ago and the caliper is f**ked already.

I don't mind fixing old stuff, but I shouldn't be replacing parts that are less than 2 years old, that's BS.

14 minutes ago, Haz said:

That sucks, won't work with my wheel as it's only 6x70PCD, no 6x74PCD

They're Trophy Turinis. Could be a plan, but I can't work out where the leak is!

What wheel is it again? I remember having to drill it out slightly so it fit.

Bagged two 205/50/15 Toyo R888 for £70.00 this evening. Still got 4.5mm of tread on them too! Just have to find two more the same size or possibly either 195 or 215 to run staggered fitment. Going to run them on the DC2 wheels and throw the AD08R on my spare wheels. Take both and see what I get on with best. 

Collect my seat, sidemount and harness on Friday too :D 

Apologies to the front wheel drive forever crew, but I bought a fakefourwheeldrive car (8L S3). Fairly tidy standard car that needs a little bit of paint, but to say i paid less for it than I did for my A3, i'm pretty happy :) Will get a few pics up later.

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

Edited by craigjames
Pics or it didn't happen.

On 06/17/2017 at 6:57 PM, MadManMike said:

Went to change my rear brake pads today in preparation for Combe next month.

f**king passenger side caliper is seized. I replaced all the brakes about a year and half ago and the caliper is f**ked already.

I don't mind fixing old stuff, but I shouldn't be replacing parts that are less than 2 years old, that's BS.

Where did you get the calipers from??

Small M3 update. The idea was to paint most of the car myself but considering the extent of restoration I've given in. My mechanic found a great painter who does classic cars on a daily basis, he comes over and attends to this after hours.

2zwfMmj.jpg

Also been wondering about the spoiler. The car looked exactly like this:

XgmdHK5.jpg

Kind of grown fond of the no spoiler look. I doubt it actually does anything although if it does improve lap times then that's pretty much decided... 

tocnWwr.jpg

4 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Where did you get the calipers from??

Brakes International. They're refurbed ones, but surely that means all the internals were new...

They must use crap seals I guess.

Greetings - I prefer the look with spoiler and at high speed it probably does have an effect.

I'm going to view a 1.8 on Thursday, it's had sills and arches done and has a new mohair roof, new suspension and a roll bar already fitted.

This means that if I buy it, I just have to swap wheels over (The ones currently on there are HORRENDOUS).

The paint job is very marmite, but I like it :P

We'll see...