The Car Thread

MadManMike

Lolz, I bet my flatmate's tidy 2.0 sierra (on good tyres) in my "sh*tbox" 1.8 focus (on bad tyres). I know that racing standard cars is kinda pointless, but it was a good laugh. Take that George!

George in the Sierra: 1/4 mile = 17.67 @ 79.5mph

Me in the Focus: 1/4 mile = 17.59 @ 81.1

Edited by Pete.M

Racing standard cars is what winners do, apart from a remap mine is totally out the box and with 110K. His is on 47K and has had the best part of £1200 spent on it haha!

I'm organising a South West RR day at Alan Jefferys in Plymouth if anybody from the area would like to come? £25 per car, will be on either the 24th of June or the 8th of July.

I could have sworn I mentioned it in here but detailed that Porsche that was organised. Turned out nice. It was swirled to f**kery and managed to get out the main scratches on the bonnet which the guy was concerned out so all good. The bonnet looked like it had had a respray before and would ideally needing wet sanding but thats way past my limit haha. Rear bumper also had a bump and also had been sprayed badly by the looks of it.

Just an enhancement detail, and the price charged reflected that, not a chance of any major correction on the panels in such a short time. Decontaminated with Iron X on panels and wheels, clayed using bilt hamber auto clay regular, APC'd everything and glazed with Prima Amigo on a soft finishing pad. Topped with Collinite #915 as a last stage protection and trims and tyres dressed with Auto Finesse Revive. One very happy owner!! :)

Iron X doing it's thing.

2012-05-26112218.jpg

2012-05-26153517.jpg

2012-05-26153509.jpg

2012-05-26153459.jpg

2012-05-26153449.jpg

2012-05-26153528.jpg

2012-05-26153535.jpg

2012-05-26153543.jpg

2012-05-26153603.jpg

Such a shame I didn't take any before photos as it was looking in such a sorry state.

Edited by dann2707

Had a mess about with wheels on my daily on Saturday. Had these wellers for ages but haven't had anything to put them on so I bought some wobble bolts and chucked 'em on.

The fronts stick out way too far and its so low I could barely get it out of the workshop to take this pic. I was going the wind the coilovers down to close the arch gap, but theres no point, it would be sitting on the floor. Also the bolts are a bit long and interfere with something in the rear drums.

576670_10150846673842987_772187986_9812411_28775098_n.jpg

Oh well, back to the standard steels.

• Like 1

Had a mess about with wheels on my daily on Saturday. Had these wellers for ages but haven't had anything to put them on so I bought some wobble bolts and chucked 'em on.

The fronts stick out way too far and its so low I could barely get it out of the workshop to take this pic. I was going the wind the coilovers down to close the arch gap, but theres no point, it would be sitting on the floor. Also the bolts are a bit long and interfere with something in the rear drums.

576670_10150846673842987_772187986_9812411_28775098_n.jpg

Oh well, back to the standard steels.

love it, you need at least 15s on a mk3 really

here are a couple of pics of my old wagon, i really miss that car :

41162_462836886203_746846203_6411070_391562_n.jpg

35.jpg

Edited by err

What coliovers do you have? You'll struggle to get it corner weighted without adjustable spring platforms :(

D2 Track* coilovers, with adjustable spring rates, 36 damper settings and solid pillow ball top mounts with top camber plates and lower camber bolts. http://www.d2racing.com/content/products/track

On their way over from Poland as we speak :)

Edited by Pashley26

...with adjustable spring rates...

I guess/hope that's a typo, because you sure don't have adjustable spring rates unless you're on air suspension. Look like nice coilovers.

I'm not sure if the prices are still the same as when I was there, I've not gone to that college for over a year now. I'll actually be seeing the lecturers on Monday at Castle Combe, so I can check with them then if you want? If you want to get in contact with them your self you'll need to phone up and ask to get through to Josh Smith in the Motorsport department. Let me know if you get it booked in, I'll come up and have a poke around the clio and say hello to the guys there.

It's worth bearing in mind that term's winding up for the summer, and they probably won't be doing any work until next term in September now. Think you can keep the Clio that long? ;)

Edited by RobinJI

2002 Polo, (my girlfriends) Just started up and was firing on only three cylinders. Turned her off, unplugged the HT leads at the coil end, unplugged cylinders 1 and 3 at the spark plug end (as i couldn't get 2 and 4 out). Plugged them all back in - runs on 4 cylinders fine.... Explain? New HT leads/coil pack?

Edited by Robwalker

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on a throttle issue with my focus. The issue normally only occurs after the car is moved to the end of the road at the start of a drive. When I go to neutral the engine rpm either sits high or keeps climbing up until I mash the throttle pedal, which seems to sort it. After driving for a short while it seems to fix itself. Something must be sticking. I've already cleaned out the Idle Control Valve. I'm now thinking the throttle position sensor is dodgy, does that seem likely?

Cheers for any help.

It only annoys me because the crazy engine revving makes me look like a right hooligan!

They come with three sets of springs according to the guy I bought them off, so yes they do have adjustable spring rates :) I haven't got a clue what weight the springs are mind you, but apparently there are 4 additional springs included.

Thanks for the name Robin, I will give them a shout.

DEFO keeping the car at least until September, I am looking to race in the ASWHC next year so this year will be my build up session.

Prawn has pointed out to me that all the best cars are owned by people who have owned them for years. And besides, I like the Clio.

I want to save up for a 911 when I am 25, a nice 996 is the goal. Now I've got a tidy base to start with and a modest disposable income I should be more tempted to stay in one car.

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on a throttle issue with my focus. The issue normally only occurs after the car is moved to the end of the road at the start of a drive. When I go to neutral the engine rpm either sits high or keeps climbing up until I mash the throttle pedal, which seems to sort it. After driving for a short while it seems to fix itself. Something must be sticking. I've already cleaned out the Idle Control Valve. I'm now thinking the throttle position sensor is dodgy, does that seem likely?

Cheers for any help.

It only annoys me because the crazy engine revving makes me look like a right hooligan!

I've seen a few threads on FOC lately and the TPS is at fault mate.

Ah, fair play, well they need to improve their online presence! What's wrong with words anyway? Why does everyone have to pretend they're in NATO and abbreviate everything to acronyms now. :P (and that's coming from a 22 year old, although I swear I'm an old man really, I listen to radio 4 more than I watch TV and I voluntarily drive a diesel estate car).

I think a few of the south west hill climbs will be the Minis first competitive outing once it's finished, although I won't be competitive as it'll be in sports-libre, so up against silly stuff. (Not that it's sensible). Play your cards right and I might be tempted to sponsor you ;)

(PS, having a couple of sets of springs doesn't mean adjustable spring rates, I have several pairs of shoes, it doesn't mean I have adjustable foot coverings ;))

Haha you are such a hero. Adjustable foot coverings. Ok, I'll re-phrase...I'll have a couple of set of springs with different rates.

I just CBA to write out All South West Hill Climb, from the events I've been too it seems pretty good and most of the races are within an hour from Plymouth which helps a lot. My biggest concern is that I will only be able to race on Sundays because of work, most events are on both days with 3 runs per car though which will be alright I think. :)

Car (EP3 CTR) keeps popping out of first when crawling at traffic lights and pulling away, any ideas? I was thinking engine/gearbox mounts could be worn? Was also suggested it could be either clutch release bearing or the synchros? Really hoping it's not the latter. I'm totally blaming the woman who owned it for 5 years before me.

I guess/hope that's a typo, because you sure don't have adjustable spring rates unless you're on air suspension. Look like nice coilovers.

Haha, was waiting for that :P

They come with three sets of springs

there are 4 additional springs included.

43.jpg

• Like 1

You spaz Adam, one set of standard springs and 4 singular springs = 3 sets of springs :P

No, that = 3 pairs of springs, a 'set' of springs is 4 surely?

PS, I'm pretty sure mk2 Clios are use coil springs out back don't they? not the usual french torsion crap?