The Car Thread

MadManMike

You've never seen a Vtec Mini before? Surprised you even knew it was a car if that is the case.

ive heard ..never seen ..ive seen cossie turbo minis ..R1 minis blah blah ..but yes, just because ive never actually seen one before doesnt mean i dont know anything around cars -.- my engines practically been stripped down and rebuilt by me over the past few days ..so no i dont really know much about cars

-.- ...im just surprised cause ive never seen that combo before thats all! sorry captain sarcasm!

It would appear that my light heartedness does not come over well on the internet. D'oh! Sorry. Vtec minis are one of the most common engine conversions though, far more so than any bike engines or otherwise I'd say.

Jardo: no need to make it person is there. No wonder you get into so many arguments!

ive heard ..never seen ..ive seen cossie turbo minis ..R1 minis blah blah ..but yes, just because ive never actually seen one before doesnt mean i dont know anything around cars -.- my engines practically been stripped down and rebuilt by me over the past few days ..so no i dont really know much about cars

I don't care if you have built your own engine, I've built cars from the chassis up...It still doesn't mean I know what I am talking about when it comes to new things. If I see something and am lost by it then the first thing I do is google it, because then I can be an instant expert.

The Vtec Mini swap is one of the most common and well documented non BL/Rover engine swaps out there for Mini's. I would say most people who own a Mini would have a Vtec conversion at the top of their list of wanted mods. (Maybe second to rivet on Miglia arches lol) Including Hail I know 4 people with Vtec Mini's.

I'm not having a pop at you, but the least you could have done was google it before posting because it is very common?

Pics of your car, post them up :)

Jamie, I saw the picture on FB last night and if I had of been alive enough I would have commented/ liked it. Third time lucky! Well done, its the home straight once it is wired lol Our friend Pie has had his in the shed for years after a quick "wiring tidy up", I might show him the pics and say that if a Scottish lad with a forklift and a digger can do it he need to pull his finger out haha.

Edited by Pashley26

I'm after some new tyres for the LCR. They are 225/40/18's. Been looking online at reviews and stuff, but can't really make my mind up. Don't really want to spend anymore than £250 for both, but if I have to, I have to (can't see the point in getting crappy tyres when I'm chasing 300bhp!)

My shortlist so far is:

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (seem VERY highly rated on tyre review sites) - £117.94 each fitted

Dunlop Sport SP1 - £121.38 each fitted

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo K107 (have these on the front at the moment, seem fairly nice) - £115.21 each fitted

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - £113.63 each fitted

That list is pretty much just composed by going on Black Circles, and looking for stuff in my price range though! Any other suggestions? I want something reasonably hard wearing, I only really use the car at weekends, but don't want anything like T1R's, because they were out SO fast! I had Falken FK452's on my Audi before the Pradas, and really liked them for the price, but they seem to be hard to find nowadays.

In othe news, I've now had my remapped LCR for a month, and am used to the power already, and it feels a bit dull now haha. Whoops!

Just posted this in Jardo's thread, but I've heard many good things about Rainsport 2's, and I was really impressed with the Uniroyals that were on the Scirocco when I bought it (Rallye 540 iirc). They seemed popular with the MX-5 guys when I had mine. Most reviews seemed to say that they're pretty similar to the T1R in terms of grip, but better in the wet and longer lasting.

I'd love 452's again, but seem to be struggling to find them round here. Whether there's manufacturing delays or something I don't know...

Must admit, I do like the look of the Rainsports (not that looks really matter haha!)

This is a road car Jardo...I know what Andy's Maxsports sounded like :P

I don't care if you have built your own engine, I've built cars from the chassis up...It still doesn't mean I know what I am talking about when it comes to new things. If I see something and am lost by it then the first thing I do is google it, because then I can be an instant expert.

The Vtec Mini swap is one of the most common and well documented non BL/Rover engine swaps out there for Mini's. I would say most people who own a Mini would have a Vtec conversion at the top of their list of wanted mods. (Maybe second to rivet on Miglia arches lol) Including Hail I know 4 people with Vtec Mini's.

I'm not having a pop at you, but the least you could have done was google it before posting because it is very common?

You're such an ass. Guy just posts a (completely reasonable) little remark, and you have to turn it into some bollocks about how you're so much more knowledgeable and awesome (See also: The entire last month's-worth of this thread). I don't really use my moderator powers any more but you tempt me out of retirement every time you open your keyboard face. Cool it or next time I'm not going to be as restrained.

• Like 3

Pics of your car, post them up :)

Jamie, I saw the picture on FB last night and if I had of been alive enough I would have commented/ liked it. Third time lucky! Well done, its the home straight once it is wired lol Our friend Pie has had his in the shed for years after a quick "wiring tidy up", I might show him the pics and say that if a Scottish lad with a forklift and a digger can do it he need to pull his finger out haha.

was only asking ...

George - The Hankook's are a nice tyre! Grippy and fairly hard wearing. The Uniroyals are more of a wet-weather tyre, so they're much softer. I've had Dunlops before and been very impressed with them too, but that's on my 90bhp Audi estate, not a 300mph whatever-you-have! :P

Out of the ones you listed, I'd go for the Hankook's at the top of the list. But that's just my preference on them...

You're such an ass. Guy just posts a (completely reasonable) little remark, and you have to turn it into some bollocks about how you're so much more knowledgeable and awesome (See also: The entire last month's-worth of this thread). I don't really use my moderator powers any more but you tempt me out of retirement every time you open your keyboard face. Cool it or next time I'm not going to be as restrained.id

Chill out Tom, I was only saying that whenever I come across something new I google it. Which I would have thought is a pretty standard thing to do.

When did I say I knew more or was more awesome than him? I don't think I did anyway, eveeeerybody on here should know I don't sugar coat things. If I thought the kid was an idiot and I had a massive superiority complex over him I just would have said it surely? Unless I actually write it snd you can read "I am better than you" it is neither thought or implied.

Not to mention, Prawn can be a massive sarcastic C and it's all gravy but the second I say anything it is the "jump on Jardo's back" game. You guys are as much of a broken record as I am sometimes. So lets have a big old group hug and post some pictures of cars? I'll start...

532681_424691250897733_110389515661243_1298399_1644858200_n.jpg

181830_10150856434424249_101228694248_9588069_1495565691_n.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

I was going to just tell you to shut up again, Jardo, because you really should, but that Beemer is rather tidy. Not exactly as I'd want one but pretty damn tidy. Been looking into a little 1 series coupe at some point, need to get saving I think :P

But yeah, less words unless you are stating facts or in your rant thread you tool.

Since it won't be happening any time soon and I'll only be able to buy something a few years old I'll almost certainly end up buying privately, but cheers for the offer dude, much appreciated.

Give it a while for things to get sorted with regards to work and stuff (if they have much going on that front, hook me up! :P) then a little 120i or something could be on the cards... :shifty:

In related news; Still get a massive grin on every time we head out in dad's new one!

What are you like for work at the moment R Bird? Renault have got two salesmans jobs going, total career change but it is a great job. Would have to have a shave and wear a suit mind you ;)

You should come round for a beer at the weekend or something?

I've built cars from the chassis up...It still doesn't mean I know what I am talking about. If I see something the first thing I do is google it, because then I can be an instant expert.

How has nobody else picked up on this yet?!?!?

I would say most people who own a Mini would have a Vtec conversion at the top of their list of wanted mods.

Oh, and not a chance! A mini has an A-series engine. if you want to go fast, turbo it. if you want to go faster, buy a faster car :)

Not to mention, Prawn can be a massive sarcastic C and it's all gravy

the difference, my dear boy, is that I very rarely make it personal at all, the odd sarcastic dig as a joke is different to making a direct personal insult at an individual.

Also, you won't find my parading around the internet claiming to be some kind of expert, or telling people 'you should think yourself lucky that people like me post on here' as you did on SSS the other day. that properly made me cringe. I just give out advice where I can. Be it good or bad, the perceived quality of my advice will allow people to decide for themsevles if I know what I'm talking about.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (seem VERY highly rated on tyre review sites) - £117.94 each fitted

Dunlop Sport SP1 - £121.38 each fitted

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo K107 (have these on the front at the moment, seem fairly nice) - £115.21 each fitted

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - £113.63 each fitted

Not tried any of these to be honest, but heard good things about rainsport 2 from many people.

Falken FK452

After spending the last 10 minutes being mean to Jardo, I now agree with him.

I'd hold out for some 452's man, should be £30 per tyre cheaper, give great grip and last really well. If not I'd take a punt on the rainsports I think.

I'm going to go get some coffee now, It's bank holiday Tuesday, and I'm working my second shift of the day, feeling very grumpy.

i think that's why I'm being so mean to everyone :(

And I miss my car :(

Not tried any of these to be honest, but heard good things about rainsport 2 from many people.

Same here, only heard positive things about those.

Thanks for the insight into the tyre paint, might give it a go. Not really concerned about how it will look a few weeks in, chances are the car will be all scratched and dented by then anyway.

I think the 452's might have been discontinued or something. Blackcircles have none, and camskill are out of stock, with no expected delivery date. I've got my MOT on Thursday, and might need a new rear tyre (hence wanting a pair). If I do need one, obviously I can't hold out! :P

Think I'll go for the rainsports then, seeing as they are the cheaper of the "good" options. I had read that they have flexy sidewalls, but will do a bit more reading seeing as you've heard so much praise.

I think most people on here will enjoy this vid enormously. Just watch it.

[media=]

I drove a very similar road from around 4 mins onwards, it was from Geneva - Interlaken through Bernense Alps, absolute dream drive. It was in a hired 1.2 Polo with 4 people on eco tyres which was very lame to be honest, but being able to push the car (near) the limit was incredible fun there coupled with the scenery it is awesome.

On the note of BEST roads I've driven - Northern Mallorca coastal roads are amazing too, just need to somehow ditch the shitty 1.2 hired cars!! (Opel Corsa with tres terrible steering which feels like a steering wheel in the arcades - no feedback whatsoever).

Steve