The Car Thread

MadManMike

Haha, it is getting a bit boring. To be honest, I was just wanting to check he didn't think that the adjustable pre-load on them was adjustable spring rate, because people not understanding pre-load is a bit of a pet-peeve of mine.

However many springs you have Jardo, I'm sure it'll be fun playing with them and seeing the difference, and the coilovers look like a rather nice piece of kit.

You spaz Adam, one set of standard springs and 4 singular springs = 3 sets of springs :P

No no no...

4 springs per car x 3 sets of springs = 12 springs.

One set of coilovers = 4 springs. One additional set of springs = 4 springs. 4 + 4 = 8 :P

But yep, it will be fun tinkering - they look pretty posh!

• Like 1

Got my 21st coming up soon.

I have always wanted a private reg.

This was the nearest i could find to my name.

I also have a lot of upcoming plans for my mk6.5 fiesta for the summer.. watch this space!

My fiesta is a mk6.5 facelift blue 1.25

Extras i did since late 2008

Full colour coding

Mk5 zetec s fiesta wheels powdercoated in graphite

blue brakes

de tangoed headlights

de badged the "fiesta" and "style"

Light smoke rear tints

Tinted rear lights with clear lenses showing

mk5 astra wiper

black grills n surrounds

front badgeless grill

richbrook interior bits

i did have a 8000k xenon hid kit til i got pulled for them :(

Next plans

Gloss black roof

ST Spoiler

45MM spax springs

Heres the plate i am looking at!

Looks sick on a audi a3 ;-) (Possibly next car)

post-11393-0-67401500-1338293610.png

Edited by Andeee

No no no...

4 springs per car x 3 sets of springs = 12 springs.

One set of coilovers = 4 springs. One additional set of springs = 4 springs. 4 + 4 = 8 :P

But yep, it will be fun tinkering - they look pretty posh!

Only the front springs are changable (sp?),the rear are available to order but at extra cost. :P

4 springs per car, two standard front springs, and two standard rear springs, two stiffer front springs and two softer front springs = 8 springs included total. 4 standard springs and 4 different springs for the front.

Edited by Pashley26

Only the front springs are changable (sp?),the rear are available to order but at extra cost. :P

Aahhhh, so you have 3 different sets of front springs, not 3 different sets of springs! That seems slightly odd, but I guess it gives you an option to tune the car for under or oversteer (probably want to bin off the stiff ones by the way, Clios are fastest with a bit of oversteer :)).

Got there in the end, bloody simple Southerners :wink2:

Car (EP3 CTR) keeps popping out of first when crawling at traffic lights and pulling away, any ideas? I was thinking engine/gearbox mounts could be worn? Was also suggested it could be either clutch release bearing or the synchros? Really hoping it's not the latter. I'm totally blaming the woman who owned it for 5 years before me.

It wont be the engine mounts, EP3's use a cable shifter, so won't be that i'm afraid. Popping out of gear is never a good sign i'm afraid man. Maybe time to invest in a DC5 box. :)

As for D2 coilovers, they are only low, to mid range coilovers. Having different spring rates doesn't really mean shit either if they are valved for one spring rate, just run them and be done with it, if you cba with the effort of changing springs to find the right spring rates for your car, then you should of spent the extra on a set of Ohlins and got them to do the hard work for you and also get them re-valved, it's only a road car.

• Like 2

It wont be the engine mounts, EP3's use a cable shifter, so won't be that i'm afraid. Popping out of gear is never a good sign i'm afraid man. Maybe time to invest in a DC5 box. :)

As for D2 coilovers, they are only low, to mid range coilovers. Having different spring rates doesn't really mean shit either if they are valved for one spring rate, just run them and be done with it, if you cba with the effort of changing springs to find the right spring rates for your car, then you should of spent the extra on a set of Ohlins and got them to do the hard work for you and also get them re-valved, it's only a road car.

Ah shit, forgot it was ye'old cable shift :( that means a rebuild i'm guessing? DC5 box would be lovely, but there's no point shelling out for a box with a LSD as i want rid of the car at the end of the summer. Was only ever intending to keep it for a year. Balls, fooking cars!

Having different spring rates doesn't really mean shit either if they are valved for one spring rate, just run them and be done with it, if you cba with the effort of changing springs to find the right spring rates for your car, then you should of spent the extra on a set of Ohlins and got them to do the hard work for you and also get them re-valved, it's only a road car.

That's a big assumption to make, do you know exactly what the adjusters do on D2s? In most cases they'll either adjust both rebound and compression damping proportionally, keeping the same shape damper curve, which would allow them to be set to match the new spring rate properly, or if not, it's more than likely that it's only the high speed damping that will be fixed, with the low speed being adjustable.

Even if it's only the low speed range that's adjustable, there could still be advantages to changing rate. As Adam says, you can play with the weight transfer around the car, which could well have more than enough of an advantage to overcome the possible disadvantage of a slightly incorrect high speed damping setting.

OK they're never going to be as good as a set of suspension that cost more than the car, but like you say, it's only a road car, and what's the harm with playing around with a few spring rates? I bet 90% of people don't have the skill or knowledge to ever notice the difference between D2's and Ohlins anyway, especially when you're not being timed.

I wouldn't have said they were budget/low to mid range at all Simon, the D2 Track coils I have got retail at £800. As Robin says the high speed damping is fixed with low speed adjustment.

Hopefully it will be more than a road car, I plan on running it in Hill Climbs next year. Having a little bit of adjustability to run different spring rates, compression and ride height at different events will be a massive bonus.

Don't be so grumpy Si, I am looking to learn a lot woth these coils. The reason I got these is because I CAN be bothered to change springs and really play with the setup. Not many people understand suspension setup and geometry. I want to be one of the ones who do :)

Edited by Pashley26

I finally got to modify the Polo a bit :P

It needed 4 new tyres, and Tori said that if I could find some nice alloys with decent tyres on for less than the price of 4 good tyres on the standard wheels, we could go for it.

Polo before, looking a bit sad:

IMG_5699.jpg

A quick quote from Pro-Tyre set my budget, and I got hunting on ebay. After about 20 minutes searching for everything VW / polo / golf related, I wasn't having much luck, and thought I'd change a search for '14'' alloy wheels' and sort by distance.

As luck would have it, these beauties popped up, just 15 miles from home at a reasonable price, shod with goodyear Eagle NCT's

IMG_5698.png

14'' Genuine BBS from a mk1 MX5, 4x100, and the same offset as the polo near enough :)

Annoyingly, google failled me, and a quick check on centre bore turned out to be wrong, so when I got them home, the centres were too small. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

I decided to try something I wouldn't recommend to anyone else, and re-bore the centres myself.

Much time and care, a carbide tipped burr, and constant checking with calipers, and one dead drill, and the job was done, time for a test fit:

IMG_5704.jpg

Tori didn't like the BBS centre caps, as they're a bit too obvious being big nut style caps, so I managed to get the standard VW centre caps to fit, which makes it look much more OEM+. She loves it, and so do I!

IMG_5713.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

Look good Nick, not sooo sure on the centre caps, but if Tory likes it then its all good, and definitely an improvement over standard either way.

Smaller centre bore on MX-5's is a bugger, and has caught out a few people I know.

• Like 1

Alex: that rear quarter shot with the Evo / facelift rear lights is just beautiful. Going to be SUCH a nice car when it's complete. Has it got an S50 going in? or something different?

Hope it's not too nice though because it's going to get a hell of a beating. Thanks though! Can't wait till it's assembled.

It's getting the stock S50B32 unit but paired to a lighter 5 speed tranny and a custom built 4.45 40% 1.5 way diff. This and the 300kg weight savings should make the car rather fun. The diff in a sprint from 0-190km/h puts down a calculated 17% more torque (on average 3110Nm at the half shafts) than a standard 3.21 unit and the car should weigh 25% less :) Mind you it'll be going flat out at 190 but I don't plan to race this thing anyway. Mostly rallysprint and hillclimb events + the odd drift day.

That's quite a jump Rainbird!!! must be fun :)

Yeah, the 318d is a freakin' awesome car, seriously refined and a great cruiser but true to form dad got too bored again. The new one puts out considerably stronger figures than the TVR did but is (obviously) so much nicer all round, lots of fun in the damp for sure :shifty:

Driving my car back after being out in it felt so mundane it's unreal though - need to sort out one of these "job" things and pick myself up a little 120i or something I think...

It's getting the stock S50B32 unit but paired to a lighter 5 speed tranny and a custom built 4.45 40% 1.5 way diff.

Interesting, I thought you had a B30 in the estate? is this a whole new lump?

B32 on a 5 speed tranny should be great fun with that diff. You staying on stock management and twin vanos?