The Car Thread

MadManMike

No problems BBP.

I don't think Tom understood the benefit to me having my own topic for my various brain farts.

The trouble is, the brain-farts that actually offend/annoy/frustrate people are the ones that are a reaction to other peoples posts, and they're in here, not 'Jardos thread' even since 'Jardos thread' has existed. The stuff you put in 'Jardos thread' is the stuff that's actually interesting and we like having in here. The problem is posts like your last one. Rather than just going 'Sorry, that's not what I meant', you had to kind of say that, while twisting it around to repeatedly point out that other people are just as bad/worse. All you needed to do was apologise and explain the miss-interpretation.

Anyway, car stuff, sort of. I've spent today getting some practice in at TIG welding. Much nicer to do than MIG, and I'm already getting welds much stronger than even a decent MIG weld.

Also I spent yesterday up at Castle Combe watching the racing and taking photos of my old college's racing car for a company that sponsor them heavily. I was pleased with a few of the shots, and they should end up on their website. I think I'm getting the hang of my long lens now:

post-4312-0-80042600-1338923594_thumb.jppost-4312-0-09669300-1338923617_thumb.jppost-4312-0-10894300-1338923714_thumb.jp

On the note of BEST roads I've driven - Northern Mallorca coastal roads are amazing too, just need to somehow ditch the shitty 1.2 hired cars!! (Opel Corsa with tres terrible steering which feels like a steering wheel in the arcades - no feedback whatsoever).

Agreed - the views are awesome too. We had a Dacia Sandero instead :P

Robin, are you home at the moment? Newton Abbott tonight for the Southern Oldschool meet?

I am at home yeah. Tempting, but Newton Abbot's over an hours drive from home, bit of a trek considering I'll just be in a boring daily. That said I've done sod all so far today because I'm waiting for a steel delivery before I can earn anymore money, so I'm pretty bored. I might head down if I can get a mate or 2 to tag along.

Mi grandmas getting rid of her v reg fiesta that is all in good order apart from a bit of none too serious rust around the arches. I reckon i could get it dirt cheap seeing as she's going to scrap it otherwise, it sound like a good idea to buy and sell on? I reckon i could get it for £250-£300 if not less.

Edit: It's signed off to go to the scrappy for £250 :( At least i got a free alpine head unit out of it though :)

Edited by Duncy H

can't wait to see your car finished Alex, it's going to be lovely. Is it having those staggered Motorsport wheels fitted?

Can't wait myself, trying not to think about it too much. There's more and more stuff that needs doing as we progress, most recent is a fire extinguishing system or whatever it's called in english. Original staggered motorsports going on, got completely re-furbished and polished set waiting.

Incidentally, I passed a stunning Mercedes SEC today and had a thought - why does one frequently see nice old Mercs, nice old Bimmers but no nice old Audis? Does something like an old Audi actually exists? Taking about 70's or early 80's designs.

Back then they weren't really competition for the Mercs and BMW's, they were a much cheaper brand, and from what I can tell (as someone who was only born in '89) had a reputation for being basic and budget, but well built cars. It was only really when the Quattro turned things around for them that they started getting a reputation as a true premium brand. They were a much, much smaller brand than Mercedes and BMW, with a lot less history, and they just didn't make the big luxry cars back then. Take a look at the timeline towards the bottom of this page and you can see how thin their range was until the late '80s, especially in terms of the bigger, more luxurious cars. If you look at the same style of timeline for Mercedes or BMW they're no where near as lacking, you can see how much more of an established brand they were.

The 100 coupe S is a lovely car:

audi-coupe-s-5020287955980895112.jpg

But when you look at something like a first generation 80 it was a much more basic car than the BMW's and Mercedes competition, so as well as being built in much smaller numbers, they wouldn't have been pampered in the same way as the more premium stuff would have.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

People scraping mine and my Dad's car when they park, me having close calls while parking up in tight spaces, rarely being able to park outside my own house, having to pay £40 per year for the privilege of parking on my own road, having to wash my car at the side of a fairly busy road, sometimes not being able to get a legal space then having to get up at 7am and move the car before the parking wardens come around and dish out tickets :(

f**k you Mr Seamons :lol:

Got a straight through exhaust fitted today, really happy with it. No silencers or anything, best thing is its not droany or chavvy only when I floor it do you hear the turbo and it gets deeper, then whistles when you let off the power (if you can call it that with 115ps haha)

Remap monday :D

Can someone please recommend a car forum where I can be 100% sure I won't find Jardo butting in and taking topics off track? It's doing my f**king head in.

He hasn't made it to MX-5 forums yet, but Cliosport has been infiltrated (and you got called out for aggressive driving in a Combe vid, haha).

but Cliosport has been infiltrated (and you got called out for aggressive driving in a Combe vid, haha).

Why on earth are there videos of me being posted on clio-sport? This worries me.

But yes, fair enough on the Combe vid, first trackday in the car ever, Combe was is dull after recent nurburgring trips, lots of morons around in Evos and Scoobs, so I decided to prove a point, and drove like a fanny. haha. Got a suitable telling off on Northloop as well. Etiquette has vastly improved since :$

Can someone please recommend a car forum where I can be 100% sure I won't find Jardo butting in and taking topics off track? It's doing my f**king head in.

In all 100% seriousness you had stooped yourself to the lows of common sense that everybody else on SSS lives at.

That place is 98% retards and 2 percent hero. You make up 1% and Seamons is the other.

Think that might be the first time I've ever laughed at your lines Sam.. ha.

Right, I'm a tightwad an want scene points.

Bbs rs replicas, I know it could differ from brands but does anybody know if the bolts are removable? I know there not true splits but just wondering if they come out to make my life easy when I paint the set I'm purchasing.