The Car Thread

MadManMike

I don't have a car, but I want to talk about one I spend a lot of time in one, it's a Vauxhall Astra van belonging to my climbing partner. I've no idea which one apart from the fastest diesel. It does 30mpg+ even when you hammer it, 55mpg+ when you're careful, it does 130mph, goes faster than 95% of the traffic on the road, takes 4 people and lots of stuff in the back (being a van), handles surprisingly well for a van, and you can sleep in it at the base of the Cairngorm when it's -15C outside, and it works flawlessly.

What I'm wondering is, is it the ultimate car? The best compromise of doing a bit of everything? I've been in it for 800miles in an 36 hour period once, and it's comfiest thing I've ever sat in. It's a van with lumbar support ffs.

I really want a car at the moment...

Oh go on then - the current daily

WP_000004.jpg

Paid £280 for the car and £90 for some coilovers, the wheels I've had for some time, and I run it on used veg oil from work and the 15l drums of veg oil you can get at Asda for £1.09/litre :)

Does the job :P

• Like 1

Paid £280 for the car and £90 for some coilovers, the wheels I've had for some time, and I run it on used veg oil from work and the 15l drums of veg oil you can get at Asda for £1.09/litre :)

Does it smell as bad as I've heard they do when running on that stuff?

Vauxhall Astra van

What I'm wondering is, is it the ultimate car? The best compromise of doing a bit of everything? I've been in it for 800miles in an 36 hour period once, and it's comfiest thing I've ever sat in. It's a van with lumbar support ffs.

I would prefer a VW Caddy (Y)

Needing new suspension for my Mazda, due to noone hearing of my car, coilovers are too expensive , so looking at some supersport Sprint kit with 35mm drop all round, anyone heard of these or use them?? Look like part of gmax.

HOW MUCH?! I took the same car back in PX the other day for £3400. You must be mental. You could get a brand new car for £159 a month, or get a personal loan and but a car which is actually nice. 5 years?!

Mental I tell thee.

Edited by Pashley26

The one you took in must have been a bag of shit. Mine went in part exchange for £5000, and is back up for sale at £6995. Although mine was a LOT higher spec than that, and had the XP kit and 3 door. That is fairly low mileage though.

Just be very very very wary of the gearbox bearings. Myself, and 4 others I know have all had the gearboxes fail. If the gearstick shoots back in 1st when you pull away, dont buy the car! There's a lot of common problems with the 1.9 cdti...EGR valve, alternator, DMF, gearbox bearings to name a few. Nice cars when they work right, but its seemingly a bit of a gamble as to whether you get a good one or not!

Not at all Spunky. The one we took in was on 59K, was an 08 on a 57 plate, 150SRI in black and wasn't a bad car other than having had a dog in the back of it and being an Astra. SIV of the car was £4100 because we didn't want to take money off the top line of our car, but I still told the guy "I can give you £3400 for your car." We sold it on to a local dealer for £4100 I think.

It's a 4 year old, pre-facelift diesel disAstra. Fair enough it's an SRI, but just REALLY. Everybody I know has had endless troubles with them, not to mention I hate the interiors.

If you go by CAP then that car will be worth less than your remaining finance after about 18 months, negative equity is not cool. I did some quick calculations and I presume they are working on about 12%APR and you're putting in a grand or so?

Look at this, from my local Vauxhall main dealer - http://www.evanshals...ar-vn57cuo.html

MUCH higher spec, a more desirable two door, built 6 months earlier and on roughly the same miles. And that's £1200 cheaper from a main dealer. I have found better cars out there, but nothing EXACTLY the same. But please trust me, the car you are looking at is not a good deal and 5 years financing is also never a good thing.

Edited by Pashley26

WOW! thanks for that lads! I know they do suffer from a few issues, but doesn't any car? but I think the gear box issue has kinda put me off, it did drive nice, gear felt good. but IF it does wrong its going to cost an arm and a leg. changed a few at work and seen the bill just for a clutch and DMF I wouldnt like to be paying! I don't pay labour but it would still be a fair old wedge!

Yes, most cars have an issue of some kind. But if you look on Vauxhall forums, literally every other cdit has a gearbox issue. They are a NIGHTMARE, and there is no cure for them. Its literally just pot luck. Mine had a new DMF and clutch put in when I bought it because it was chattering, and 8 months down the line, and 12k later, and it was chattering again.

I promised myself I would never buy another Vauxhall again!

I setup a meet for Clio Sport out on the Moors today.

Had 5 or 6 people turn up, was a giggle.

I don't really know much about Clio's past my own, I've only ever driven one other 172 which doesn't count because I never opened it up so I don't really know what it went like. HOWEVER, today I had a good session with a stripped 182 which has been mapped, has matched inlets a decat and Simota carbon intake replacement. My car which has a full half leather interior in it, a full tank of fuel, me and is other than a remap totally standard properly walked it, the owner was really gutted and spent all day with his head hung and being all pissy about it. We did a lot of driving together today, and after a couple of pulls alongside each other on the A38 my car was a good car length ahead of his by the speed limit from a second gear rolling 20mph start. On the road my car had far more torque and the extra 800rpm really helped.

Two or three people drove my car and they all said it was the fastest 172 with just a remap they'd seen and were really impressed. They were also very impressed at how quiet my engine is, having listened to every other car which turned up today they all sound f**ked in comparison to mine. So yeah, a nice result for me!

246433_10151126910595130_709735129_13303989_981290453_n.jpg

562178_10151126909795130_709735129_13303985_620003554_n.jpg

582338_10151126908905130_709735129_13303982_439529172_n.jpg

562269_10151126902095130_1169434785_n.jpg

-

I am doing a little bit of testing for K-TR next week too, and SHOULD be recieving one of their new induction kits with silicone intake pipes to try out.

574528_387511731271599_187795637909877_1168037_1853257523_n.jpg

Edited by Pashley26