The Car Thread

MadManMike

Jardo, the E30 looks nice, what will you do with the Audi though? As for e46, I'm sure within the last month, either on here or audisport you've been ranting about how horrid diesels are ;) I do occasionally get tempted by a 320d estate as a daily, then I have flashbacks about it taking us over 8 hours to fit coilovers to a friends 318 coupe, because just about every bolt that could snap, did. The build quality's definitely got a few issues. I couldn't say they're all like that, but I'd definitely be wary.

MadManMike, I can't comment on the ride of the JOM's on your particular car, but mine and friends experience seems to suggest that they're usually best suited to the heavier cars that use that particular platform, as they don't tend to vary the spring rates for the lighter stuff, so they end up too stiff. As for quality/durability, I've had nothing but good experiences with cheap coilovers, The ones on my Scirocco were bought in 2008, and they're still going strong after 5 years and what must be upwards of 50k. I've far from wrapped the car in cotton wool too, it's been regularly hammered down back roads, it's got airborne more than a few times, I've raced it on a pretty rough grass surface, I've run it for a few months at ~120mm drop (usually set to ~60-70), I've driven it down loads of 'unsuitable for motor-vehicles' tracks and forestry trails to go mountainbiking, and just generally used it hard. I'm honestly amazed that they're still going, but they are, and they seem to be absolutely fine. These are TA technix, and in 2008 they were just starting to get popular, so I couldn't say for sure that a new set of JOM's will be the same. 5 years is plenty of time for quality control to start slipping, especially with hugely increased demand compared to back then, but my experience has been good anyway. I also had a set of them on my Passat last summer which were really pretty comfy and gave no issues, and my MX-5 had a set which were alright, but quite noticeably under-damped which made it a bit bouncy sometimes, but it was still quite comfy.

The BMW I just mentioned we fitted them to did snap one of the helper springs after only a few months though, which I was less than impressed with. I've not run helpers on my Scirocco, but they were fine on the Passat and MX-5.

Edited by RobinJI

he's probably changed his mind after your phone call yesterday.

Your words not mine here, you said he was 'not some young guy who just wants to modify it and thrash it, but an older bloke who's really looked after it and really respects it' So he's probably realised that you're the former of the two, and decided he'd rather not let his beloved and cherished appreciating classic go in exchange for a boy racer wagon :lol:

xxx

E30 deal is a no go, fuel pump screams like a small child in a microwave and the guy wants a grand on top of the A3 which isn't how I roll.

He liked the A3 and I liked the BM, but we couldn't agree a deal and neither of us would budge on what our vehicles were worth.

Gutted about your clutch Matt.

Edited by Pashley26

It's ok, a bit gymicky though.

I used to snow foam everything when I had a drive way; if you have got a dedicated cleaning space and have a dedicated afternoon a week to do it properly then yes it is a really nice way to clean your car.

If you haven't got the dedicated time and space for it then it will be wasted and don't bother.

-

Hilariously, I have got somebody with a DC2 coming to look at the A3 tomorrow. So I guess my lack of torque ruling was all bollocks haha.

Edited by Pashley26

Poor boys is great, and not too expensive. I don't know, its just a DC2 to me. I have wanted one for a while, a lad who works across the road from one just swapped his Integra for an EP and the guy who had the EP is missing the refinement of the EP. So I might be able to sweep up the pieces.