The Car Thread

MadManMike

Definitely do the sensible thing and buy an old Porsche ;)

You've got me looking at them now! I just checked insurance and a 2.5 944 is actually in the manageable region now, and with a bit of bodywork tidying I'm pretty sure I could easily sell the Scirocco for enough to buy a semi-reasonable example. I would have to rent a garage though, as I wouldn't be happy leaving one outside on the street here, anything with a Porsche badge is much too much of a vandal target really. The main thing putting me off's that they're a bit on the big/heavy side for my tastes. (I tend to consider anything over a ton as heavy :P)

Edited by RobinJI

MadManMike, I can't comment on the ride of the JOM's on your particular car, but mine and friends experience seems to suggest that they're usually best suited to the heavier cars that use that particular platform, as they don't tend to vary the spring rates for the lighter stuff, so they end up too stiff. As for quality/durability, I've had nothing but good experiences with cheap coilovers, The ones on my Scirocco were bought in 2008, and they're still going strong after 5 years and what must be upwards of 50k. I've far from wrapped the car in cotton wool too, it's been regularly hammered down back roads, it's got airborne more than a few times, I've raced it on a pretty rough grass surface, I've run it for a few months at ~120mm drop (usually set to ~60-70), I've driven it down loads of 'unsuitable for motor-vehicles' tracks and forestry trails to go mountainbiking, and just generally used it hard. I'm honestly amazed that they're still going, but they are, and they seem to be absolutely fine. These are TA technix, and in 2008 they were just starting to get popular, so I couldn't say for sure that a new set of JOM's will be the same. 5 years is plenty of time for quality control to start slipping, especially with hugely increased demand compared to back then, but my experience has been good anyway. I also had a set of them on my Passat last summer which were really pretty comfy and gave no issues, and my MX-5 had a set which were alright, but quite noticeably under-damped which made it a bit bouncy sometimes, but it was still quite comfy.

The BMW I just mentioned we fitted them to did snap one of the helper springs after only a few months though, which I was less than impressed with. I've not run helpers on my Scirocco, but they were fine on the Passat and MX-5.

Brilliant, thanks!

Sounds like I'll go for a set of JOM's then. I've done about 12k since June last year so they'll get a few miles done, but I'm generally quite soft on the driving front - no harsh roads if I can help it :)

Great review anyway, cheers for that.

Integras and Ek9s are just such fun cars, they may only be front wheel drive and nigh on 200bhp but they put such a smile on your face when it's screaming towards 9k rpm!

My ej9, only being a 1.4, handles such a dream and I've shown up some expensive cars through some twisties,

My ej9, only being a 1.4, handles such a dream and I've shown up some expensive cars through some twisties,

Is it that it's dreamy, or that you give less of a f**k about binning it than an expensive car owner? :P

I could say the same thing about my old MK2 out maneuvering Porsches on the 'ring, but that's because they actually care, I don't believe for a second that my ropey old Golf was better in any way :lol:

Edited by Jolfa

you have. Not sure why though....

You know, even just on some coilover's and alignment sorting they are amazingly fun cars, hell, even standard me and a friend have had some fun times. Personally i think EK9's and some JDM DC2's are heavily over priced, but ultimately you are getting a 1.8, 200bhp, 9k piece of awesome fun, and in my opinion if you'd done the same level of modifications that you've done to the Audi to an Integra, you'd have an admittedly slower, but much more capable car.

The only problem with Integra's is they have to be driven fast to enjoy. The lack of torque makes for a slow drive just being a normal one like any other car - which i guess for some is half the reason for getting one, but for someone who enjoy's driving, you need to drive it hard to really enjoy it.

• Like 1

Has anybody got experience with Porsche 924 and 944? Any bad points about them?

There's one for sale, very near me. Its (I think!) £1500, although it might be £1200 or £1600, I can't remember! Its a B reg, and looks absolutely bloody mint. Keep toying with the idea, but have nowhere to put it :(

The only problem with Integra's is they have to be driven fast to enjoy. The lack of torque makes for a slow drive just being a normal one like any other car - which i guess for some is half the reason for getting one, but for someone who enjoy's driving, you need to drive it hard to really enjoy it.

I think that was my main issue with them.

I drove one, and it was nice, very fun, and buzzing to nearly 9k was pretty awesome, but after 10 years + of hype about it being 'the greatest FWD car of all time' I think I just expected a little more.

It was good, but ruined for my by the hype and the build up.

A bit like the E36 M3 to be honest, never meet your heros and all that....

Much like Jolfa, I accept that ultimately, no matter how much I do, my audi is 'just an old golf' really, so when cars like DC2's, Clio 182's, and E36 M3's get hyped up SO much, and I get a chance to drive one, I'm always expecting to be utterly blown away by simply how much better it is, and the reality isn't quite there. Good cars without question, but after all the hype you'd expect it to be a life changing moment, when really it's just a bit of a giggle.

That, and I enjoy that my car handles well because of things that I've done, and I've seen it's evolution along the way, rather than just having it all from day 1, which it most certainly did not! Blandâ„¢

Hype ruined my joy of an S14a 200SX. I bought a mint '99 black touring, one lady owner from new with full history. Was a rich old couple who bought it then shipped it to greece where they had lived for 5 years then moved back to Cumbria and shipped it back over here. I think it had only done 44k and cost me £4000 about 9 years ago but after the massive build of how much of a better car it was compared to my integra from the lads on the 200sx forum I was massively disappointed, was more like an obscenely thirsty canal boat on wheels.

Needless to say it got sold shortly after, and again what a stupid idea that was as the prices for them went through the roof a few months later. :angry:

Same for me with the E36 M3, 10 years of dreaming about them from when I first saw the M3 Evo at Goodwood in 1997, and in 2007 I bought one.

It was good, very good, but the increased enjoyment from owning it compared to the A3 didn't balance with the increased cost of owning it, so I sold it on and went back to what I know.

Is it that it's dreamy, or that you give less of a f**k about binning it than an expensive car owner? :P

I could say the same thing about my old MK2 out maneuvering Porsches on the 'ring, but that's because they actually care, I don't believe for a second that my ropey old Golf was better in any way :lol:

Quite the opposite infact, I love my civic. It may only be 90hp with about 6 foot pound of torque but to me it's my car, it's taken so much abuse from me over the last year, any other car wouldn't of taken it.