The Car Thread

MadManMike

Is it a uk car or an import? Check for rust on the sills and arches. Smoke in vtec, when booting it. Give it a boot full, let off, then boot it again see if you have left a cloud behind you.

Also water can get into the sills, when your driving about see if you can hear water sloshing about. Crunchy second and 3rd gears.

you have. Not sure why though....

Me too; I went in Matts and f**king hated it. But I think that's because his was a shed.

INTEGRA%20TYPE%20R%20DC2.jpg

I think I'm drawn to the reliability, the heritage and history of the 90's R cars, the feel and fit and finish.

Interior wise as well as feel they're very similar and use a lot of the same switch gear as my dads Rover, so I know I like those bits and pieces.

It's another "must have" car to knock off the list I guess, you never know I might actually like it.

Edited by Pashley26

That's a JDM though. JDM good, UKDM UKEM bad :P

Fixed that for you, the UK's not Honda's domestic market ;) I completely agree though, the UK front ends are a bit gopping. I can see the appeal of Integras, it's just the lack of character that puts me off them. Ignoring that though I think they're nice cars. Never driven one though, and all the "Best handling FWD car" quotes just annoy me and make me want to dislike them haha.

After posting that rant about how pleased I've been with my TA technix I'll be keeping a bloody close eye on them for a bit, managed to hit a rough hump-back bridge diagonally at a fairly high pace on my way home just now (taking the scenic/fun route home). Bottomed out the front suspension painfully hard, the car would definitely benefit from a bit more travel up front.

I've been loving back roads recently, so I think I'll be keeping the car with the same ground clearance it has now (~95mm), as I find it pretty perfect. When I do some work on it in the summer it may come down a bit more as I'll be hoping to move the low points up a bit, so I'll lower it to keep the same clearance. I can't wait to get the poly-bushes fitted, and I think I'll be adding some stiffness to the rear beam/ARB to get the back end a bit more lively, I'm loving it even as it is so I'm really looking forward to any improvement. :D

Also, only just over a week until the Retro Rides Beach Party. Yay :)

I thought the dc2 was a nice smart looking car, then I found out it was fwd :( It looks so much like it should be rwd :/

What can I say though, I've got tow cars and they are both fwd :lol:

Since jardo posted that e30 I want one :'(

Paul, I know a guy who's pretty into his 924's, they seem to be generally solid and decent cars, and pretty simple mechanically, with a fair few parts shared with the VAG range. I've been tempted by them a few times, but 944 insurance is silly for me, and the existance of the 944 has always put me off the 924 as I'd be worried about feeling like I'd just settled for the easy/cheap option. I'm getting more tempted by 924's though, as I'm quite liking them in their own right recently, and they are lighter and more aerodynamic.

I really like both, possibly the 944 a touch more but would be happy with either. I am worried about reliability, but the simplicity means I should be able to fix with minimal tools whilst in Nottingham. Which engine is the best to go for? Not really worried about power, it's just a bonus. What are they like space wise? They have rear seats but I can't see them being much use!

Yeah, rear seats are what you'd expect, a joke. The boots alright but a bit shallow and quite on show with all that glass, space up front's fine, not too cramped or anything, that's the nice thing about having the gearbox at the back, no massive gearbox tunnel. I'm not 100% on engines, but I think the NA lumps are all basically the same from a reliability point of view, although I'm guessing there's electronic and mechanical injection versions, and maybe carbs on some 924s? Really not sure, but yeah, I think the management and displacement's the only real difference. The guy I know with the 924 keeps going on about how a 924 's' is just a 2.5 944 but lighter and more aerodynamic, so they seem like a nice option. Front suspension's mostly shared with mk1 Golf and the rear's mostly shared with Super Beatles, so all quite available and cheap to sort any issues. Remember they were actually designed by VW, then Porsche bought the plans quite late in development when VW decided to do the Scirocco instead, so they're a bit of a VW parts bin special. 944's are all 5x130 wheel fitment, but 924's are mostly 4x108, so plenty of nice cheap ford fitment wheels about. (Although obviously there are plenty of nice Porsche wheels to bolt to the 5x130 ones!)

I'm very tempted to get a 924 and fit a 1.8 20vt into it, but I've got other plans I want to do with the Scirocco for now, maybe a project for the future.

Also:

careeragt020.jpg

The one on the left's a 924 Carrera GT, rocking horse shit and awesome, the one on the right's a chap off Retro Rides, beautiful car. (Build thread)

Edited by RobinJI

Cheers for the info Robin :) I will investigate them further. I have been peeking at cars as it's getting towards the time I should be replacing my 9-3 and I really can't decide what I want/need. Part of me wants to be practical and go big estate (9-5, A6, 5 series) as well as having the comfort benefits and another part of me wants to go for something I actually really like (often less practical) and deal with the consequences of it being useless for anything other than transporting 2 people. I also have the issue of my girlfriend being moany about low cars that are bumpy (My Saab is quite the sore point, as its really quite harsh).

A massive part of me just wants to go and get a 9-3 Aero as I really do love the way they look, handle and the interior is just awesomeness compared to other cars that are similar.