The Car Thread

MadManMike

Given that Jardo's car is a 5 speed box and my 6 speed 1.8t will reach around 65 in second, 85 in third, Jardo's hitting around 75ish in 2nd doesn't stretch the imagination too far :)

Still find it strange. In every manual car I've driven that's not so underpowered it needs 3 gears to get to 60, 2nd gear goes up to 62-65 max. I think this is done so they can claim the best possible 0-60 time on the brochure?

Still find it strange. In every manual car I've driven that's not so underpowered it needs 3 gears to get to 60, 2nd gear goes up to 62-65 max. I think this is done so they can claim the best possible 0-60 time on the brochure?

It probably would have topped out in the 60's, but Jardo's car's had the rev limiter moved up a noticeable amount, I think they're about 6500 as standard, where as his looks to be at about 7200, giving him a few MPH extra.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2's Hazabean.

Amazingly good tires for the price. Pretty much all you could want for a daily driver.

What's the car used for, just a daily driver?

If so, the Uniroyals do come with good reviews (although never used them myself). I think pretty much anything with decent reviews, as long as they are all the same tyre, will do a good job :)

Just a daily. £50 a corner on Camskill, seems decent, will look into them.

My rpm limit is 7250, GPS is 75mph and indicated is 78 at the limiter. Also the limiter only drops 50rpm where as stock drop is 250rpm, so rather than bouncing off the limiter it sits there.

110mph in third, 130+ in 4th and 188 at 7250 in fifth.

The gearing in 5 speed 1.8t's is PERFECT. Nice and long, one thing to remember Alex is my car has 319lbft of torque, so 61lbft/20% more torque than a 3.2 M3. I bet you've never driven a five speed 4 cylinder petrol car with over 300lbft. It's brilliant and is one of the reasons why my car is so quick.

Edited by Pashley26

Yeah, tad jealous of the 5 speed box. If mine should ever find itself needing to be replaced I think I'll look into a conversion and save my left arm/foot 17% of the work they currently put in.

If the additional gear was a higher ratio than your 5th rather than just a tweaked intermediary then it'd be great, but given that the top ratio is identical there's no real benefit to the extra other than feeling like you're in a Fast & Furious film trying to get anywhere :P

Edit; Jardo. So specific at "188" in 5th, but "130+" in 4th. You tool. :lol:

I never really go flat out in fourth, and only know the theoretical limit of 188 because Prawn told me. If I'm honest.

The five speed 02J is a brilliant box, that said Prawn is on his 8th now. But he drives like a tool and really forces the gears home just because of the type of driving he does.

I know of a freshly built 02J with a diff for £500, but hands off it is mine haha.

I have been making a lot of enquiries about a K04, I could achieve 20bhp more at a lower pressure with less torque and more safety. I have promised my K03s to Robin however if I was going to sell private I could easily get £350 for the "most powerful K03s" setup which would make it £150 to go K04.

But then I would need new mapping and it would all start again.

I could easily get £350 for the "most powerful K03s" setup...

Eurgh, that is really starting to grind now. You and Phil waving it around like some kind of special needs badge.

Still...going ko4 when you have all the ko3 setup already, why not just get a hybrid, and save yourself the cost of the downpipe and intercooler setup? If you're going to the extent of changing turbos, go for something bigger, and do it properly.

I want to join the 5-speed-loving club. I detest the 6 speed. I even looked into changing my LCR box for a 02J...but all the little bits like the shifter box and cables soon add up!

Prawn being a box killer isn't always down to ham-fisted shifting. His last box (from my a3), he was really gentle with when changing gear. So much so, that I thought he had shifting issues or something when I went around Donnington Park with him, because he was shifting so slowly. Most of his problems seem to stem down to crown wheel bolts trying to make a break for freedom :(

My dad rebuilt the gearbox that came from your A3, I have seen it in pieces. It WAS f**ked in first and second :(

K04 is so much safer than a hybrid, if I went for a K03s hybrid I would be in rods territory. Or I could go K04 and have the power I need safely.

When Niki mapped Phils turbo with its ported hot side he said it was easily capable of 320bhp and was better than 90% of K04 hybrids he had mapped.

Get your snail sent off to Dan and have him port it :P

BEFORE

183080_368754313242660_418244003_n.jpg

AFTER PORTING

393122_369013676550057_1603597088_n.jpg

I might ask him to port my K03 haha

It WAS f**ked in first and second :(

That's not what he said to me, but that's by the by. Hopefully the one built by Ben will stand a bit more of a chance!

Porting sounds interesting. Although while it's off and being sent to Dan, it may as well be hybrided. I will do it one day! Rods are next on my list (after our holiday at the end of this month, and tax the next!)

1a5e3955_zpsf42e0d2b.jpg

81824dc9_zpsa0852553.jpg

:( not saying you fobbed him off, its not like he paid anything for it. And in a road car it would have probably been perfect.

Porting looks epic. Given the second mortgage needed for one of Dans hybrids I'd be tempted to just save up and buy a GT.

Edited by Pashley26

I remember him having a box that whined like a school girl in 1st, but he said mine was mint inside. Odd! Like you say though, he got a whole engine for peanuts. Guess that's the risk with gearboxes though, you never know what they are like inside until they are taken apart. I sold it to him in good faith, never thought the 200bhp (at most!) would ruin a gearbox :P

• Like 1

1a5e3955_zpsf42e0d2b.jpg

81824dc9_zpsa0852553.jpg

:( not saying you fobbed him off, its not like he paid anything for it. And in a road car it would have probably been perfect.

Porting looks epic. Given the second mortgage needed for one of Dans hybrids I'd be tempted to just save up and buy a GT.

Jardo, were those teeth actually worn out? The pitting is caused by the oil imploding under pressure on the surface of the teeth, nothing to do with how the box is shifted, just the power being transmitted is too high for the size of the gears and it will always happen. It might be possible to run a higher spec gearbox oil to try to prevent the pitting. Surely replace 1st and 2nd and it's good to go or isn't that an economic repair? I don't know how much audi gears cost :)

It's not the case hardening failing or the box being tight, it's the oil exploding under pressure that tears chunks out of the face of the gears. 1st and 2nd gear on my supermoto is the same (40% increase in power over stock so definitely transmitting more than design load), it works absolutely fine although admittedly the pitting isn't as bad as that.

I don't know the full in and out of it but the oil that came out was pretty shocking to be fair.

The box didn't last very long anyway, poor thing :(

Prawn recently got some uprated box oil, loads of people have suggested that oil is the killer. My box is knackered, I am just waiting for my mutual friend to decide he is selling so I can get a rebuilt box and a diff.

Going for a drive today, bored so going to put a few miles on the car :)