The Car Thread

MadManMike

Bled the brakes and did a bit of fiddling today, took it out for a drive after to get some photos. Thought i'd show you lot before i send them off to Pistonheads.

164921_10201081317219238_284790725_n.jpg

166206_10201081317739251_163814269_n.jpg

428622_10201081318379267_591277425_n.jpg

936148_10201081319059284_17046837_n.jpg

923354_10201081319299290_1393841992_n.jp

428627_10201081319339291_1676728402_n.jp

Genuine '79 3.0 S

Lightly tweaked engine, got a nice weber of some description, tubular manifolds and a full Janspeed system. Goes pretty well and sounds f**king amazing.

PS; Robin - that RX7. Oh lord...

Edited by Skoze
  • Like 2

Glad to see the A3's working again. A wing sounds like a fairly good plan, I'd probably be looking at a diffuser first though. Even though a diffuser coming off a stock underside's probably not going to work cleanly and nicely to give any real downforce, it should remove the majority of the problem areas giving lift under there. A3's are pretty slippery for a hatchback, it'd be a shame to ruin that with a BGW. Completely understand where you're coming from with keeping a few creature comforts. It's what I plan to do with the Scirocco when it's no longer a daily. Stripped and track ready, but not purely a racing car.

Speaking of BGW's, my old MX-5 was at Combe on Saturday along with some other stuff:

577568_10151591400924855_1575487663_n.jp

943194_10151591400954855_1529005312_n.jp

Does BGW mean Big Gay Wing? if so, I like it :lol:

I'm afraid my likely creation would be more of a spoiler than a wing, more like the Pulsar above rather than the MX5, simply due to the limitations of the Gay3's all glass rear hatch, there's very little scope to attach anything that'd look half decent. I was going to talk to you about potential angles / lengths anyway before ripping into anything.

As you summed up nicely, a diffuser is a LOT of work at the moment, compared to some form of big gay wing / spoiler, Ultimately I'd like to introduce some form of home made splitter, but I think it'd be very foolish to add any more front end grip without first addressing the rear.

your old mx5 is looking a little different!

Anyone else coming along to watch the BTCC on sunday at Thruxton>?

Ask george about how fecking horrible his car was with plastic windows. He and Liam sweated like feck on the way to germany, so much so that he actually removed the front windows for the drive home, then got utterly soaked in a freak storm. Oh how we laughed.

Oh good lord how me and Liam did NOT laugh! Those windows were a joke. They were far far lighter than the glass they replaced, but ventilation was somewhat reduced (to virtually zero), so like Nick says; we suffered a bit, haha!

I'd have to agree with what he's said though, having been there, and got the (wet) t-shirt. I would never strip a car out to the same extent that I did with the Audi, if it were anything but a trailer queen. The difference in weight just isn't worth it for the inconvenience it causes.

Here is a list of easy situations made difficult by stripping it out too much:

• Rain
  • Snow
  • Wind
  • Multi-storey carparks
  • Fast food drive-thrus
  • Toll roads
  • Sun
  • Washing the car
  • Looking around at junctions
  • Hearing ANYTHING
  • Comfort
  • Looking cool
  • Shopping
  • Taking friends out
  • Plus, many many more!

...don't do it! :P

20130501_183009_zpsef5a2216.jpg
20130501_193003_zpscb2f1e15.jpg
20130501_195713_zpsf02b10dd.jpg
Did the MAF, plugs, front bumper and stuff this morning.
I'm royally ****ed off though. Last night I sanded down and painted the bumper, it looked ****ing epic and I was really looking forward to getting it back on. Polished it up this morning and it looked really really good.
IMG-20130501-WA0010_zpsda13b136.jpg
IMG-20130501-WA0005_zps38ed143f.jpg
Was walking to the car with it this morning with the bumper and out of nowhere the most aggressive gust of wind came and it flew out of my hand and went twenty feet down the road and now it's ****ed again :(
Proper freak weather, there isnt' a cloud in the sky and there has been no wind all morning. Out of nowhere this mental gust of wind came, it actually made me stagger it was that strong.
Mother ****ers :(
Car's driving well though now, although the front dogbone bush has gone a bit slack.
Got the LCR rack to go in this weekend, and winding the coilovers down a bit more. :)

Was wondering when my cars mot was due so I checked the folder and funnily enough it's today! Car is now at the garage and the moment of truth is revealed in 30 mins. Passed last year with no advisories so I'm hoping it will be the same today. Fingers crossed please people!

As some of you know, I'm looking for a 2003/2004 Leon Cupra. Now I know that mileage isn't really a great indicator of condition at all but I have some sort of mental block when it comes to looking at cars for sale! I'm finding lots of ~70K+ cars (which is probably low mileage if anything) for my price-point (£2.5-3K) but something in my brain won't let me. Please can someone convince me otherwise!

If it's got a good history then get involved. Mine's currently on the best part of twice that but with a full Seat service history and hasn't skipped a beat. Get involved!

In related news:

img1551sa.jpg

New dogbone mount arrived today for the Golf too. Should get rid of the slack :)

I've got a tub of mould release wax here that I keep meaning to try out on the car. It certainly makes moulds nice and shiny and water replant, plus it's bloody tough, and cheap. Trouble is, the Scirocco's paint's so crap I'm not sure it'll help anything. :lol:

Battery keeps dying (within 6 or so hours) and I've also got a drop in power.

An alternator fault (bad diodes) seemed obvious because it would explain both issues, so I've done some testing but the results showed no unusual current draw from the battery.

I'm thinking a new battery will be the best place to start. However, I've never known one to die so suddenly...

And as for the power drop, if the alternator is fine then I might be looking at a vacuum leak, but the gauge doesn't indicate any loss in vacuum.

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg.

They look pimp :) Brakes didn't seem to have any issues at Donington Nick!? Or did you just get an itchy credit card?

In related news, currently undertaking a dry sump installation. Had about 10 deliveries from various suppliers so far, one's taken over 3 weeks and still isn't here, and 4 of them have had the wrong stuff, bloody frustrating!! Should have been finished by now!!

Those brakes of Prawns are pretty bad ass if I'm honest, either Phil or I will be getting his hand me downs. Just got to fight for who gets them.

I went out in Phils car the other day, now he's got flat shift, launch control and much improved mapping.

It's f**king awesome, videos to follow.

I'm deliberating getting rods for mine, then I can have poppy-bangy shizzle. Works out to £500 ish...and you get a cambelt kit too (mine needs changing reasonabley soon anyway), so I guess it makes sense.

Going to RTech on 1st June with the guy who's Leon I did all the mods on. Hoping for 240ish. Its pretty much the same spec and mileage of yours Jardo, apart from it has the new SFS oversize TIP on it. When we're at RTech, I'll speak to Niki, and see what he can do for me. When I went to Donnington Park with Prawn, I spent the whole day with him, and he said he would do me a deal :)

Today's job is to fit my new R32 front anti roll bar to mine. I fitted my new 28mm rear bar last week, but ran out of time to do the front, and didn't dare drive it with just a (reasonably huge) rear bar!