The Car Thread

MadManMike

Very cool. Really nice car. I keep seeing a tidy 3.0S driving the other way on my way home from work, always a neck-craning moment! With regards to the fibreglass side of things, it's a shame you're not closer or my work could potentially be a bit of a help. With regards to the engine, I saw this a couple of weeks ago:

attachicon.gif_MG_7032.JPG

Which resides in this:

attachicon.gif_MG_7034.JPG

And puts out 540bhp and over 600ft/lb of torque.

Hint-hint ;)

Oh lawd, don't tempt me!

Having previously only messed about with land rovers and stuff i'm quite happy to sit and enjoy all 140bhp of the Essex for a while - it's got more than enough go for me at the minute, i'd be backwards in a hedge within seconds if i put that 500bhp lump in it haha!

Re; the fibreglassing, i'm pretty happy to travel around. I've got a place in mind but if that's not gonna work out i'll let you know what's up. Currently trying to decide what colour to do it alongside blagging parts...

Well I waved good buy to the golf today :( little bit sad and left with no motor off for a trip to audi tomorow to see if I can get myself a diesel a3 to run for a year.

Been left with a full miltek system and forge twintake if anyone knows somr1 who may be interested drop us a pm

'roccos are awesome! What's the plan?

No major plans. Its 98% original and has good history. It just needs a little paint here 'n' there and it'll be spot on. I'll probably drop it onto some RAs and maybe lowering springs but not much more than that. Needs a damn good wash too.

Scirocco looks cool, must get around to making mine look a little more standard. Or at least loose the silly wheel colour! I've got some spare 60mm springs if they're any use to you? (Well I think they're 60mm ones, they came on my Scirocco, but because the shocks were blown I replaced the whole lot with coilovers.)

It's not the case hardening failing or the box being tight, it's the oil exploding under pressure that tears chunks out of the face of the gears. 1st and 2nd gear on my supermoto is the same (40% increase in power over stock so definitely transmitting more than design load), it works absolutely fine although admittedly the pitting isn't as bad as that.

It wasn't actually those gears that killed Nick's box by the way, although they're not ideal, it was one of the crown-wheel bolts working loose and coming into contact with the casing that actually signed its death warrant. Seems like sound advice to put up-rated oil in there.

Also yeah, George, as Jardo says, a fair bit of your old engine ended up going in my Scirocco, I think I might even have your box in it, unless yours was the one Jardos dad re-built?

Edited by RobinJI

It was the crownwheel bolt, 100%.

Glad to see my engine was spread around, haha! Wish I'd kept it though...if I'd known I was going to have another 1.8t, it would have been perfect. Wouldn't have been my box though, that was the one that was rebuilt, and is now scrap :(

Mk1 Audi TT. Fancy something a little different, and have no desire for another hatch back. Budget is about 4k, I think I'm going to have to go for the 180bhp version due to insurance.

What sort of things should I be looking out for, I know at that sort of age and mileage I need to ensure the cam belt and water pump have been done. Is there anything else I should avoid or be aware of.

I figured as a lot of you are running the same engines in various cars this would be a good place to start.

I'm aware of the perception of the TT being a hair dressers car but I really couldn't care. I don't think they have aged like similar cars of that age.

Thanks

Joe

Aaaaaah...forgot you hadn't been driving long. Still, to half the cost is great. Means lots of moeny for mods :P

I wish! It means less racking up debt hopefully lol

Bird - that's an awesome thread, amazing find. I've skim read it so far, but will have to spend some time on that one :)

Wheels should look awesome on there. I'm seriously tempted by an LPG'd 940/60 as my next daily. What are they like for boot space? I know 'effing massive' is about right, but for the size of the car, I wasn't actually that impressed with my 240, as the boot floor was pretty high, which limited things a little, meaning there wasn't actually much more space than my Passat. I'm guessing 940's must be fairly similar as they're pretty much the same under the floor aren't they?

I think the size of the boot will be near identical to the 240. I know what you mean about the space, it's conveniently square shaped but not overly huge. They are big looking cars, but by modern standards the external dimensions are actually quite small! I'm guessing the boot is probably still slightly larger than the majority of estates though.

An LPG'd one would be perfect, if you can find one!