The Car Thread

MadManMike

Raww why are people such liars and general muppets!

Went out to look at this Saab, got quite excited and was all up for it. It was half 9 at night because that was the soonest this guy could finish work, so he turned up and took one look at the BM and said he'd have it.

I started looking over the Saab, there were a few body marks and things but nothing I couldn't fix. Other than a weird rash like mark on the passenger rear wheel arch that had been touched in badly. Took it for a drive, put my foot down and it was very disappointing, felt shite. Knocked it down to second and it went MUCH better, gave it another pull in second and it felt a bit slow again. But in general the whole car felt tired. Not like my BM which was hewn from the meteor that knocked out the dinosaurs.

Drove it back to the garage and opened the bonnet and checked the oil, it had none and puffs of blue smoke were coming out the dipstick tube/filler cap. Which is pretty normal for a car with no oil in it to be honest. Thought I could live with that, take the risk and put oil in it and job done.

Took the cap off the expansion tank and it gushed a bit of water out and is totally over filled by miles, probably got a pint too much in it. But no mayo there and no oil floating on top which was good.

Started it up and had a good look around the engine bay, the idler tensioner/waterpump pulley is grinding and needs a new bearing. Super annoying and arsey job, the guy who owned it said he had never thought to check the water, the oil or that noise. It sounded like a release bearing it was that noisy.

Got inside the car and it all seemed ok; but the stereo doesn't work all the time and there is some chav tastic sub screwed to the back of the rear seats with a switch mounted next to the heated seat switches, and only the front speakers work. Then he starts explaining about that and how he spent loads of money putting pioneer speakers in the front and all that bollocks.

Tried to get in the back to have a poke around and the drivers seat would't tilt forwards, so then he spills his pearls of knowledge about that too.

All in all I just kept on finding things wrong with it, and he then came clean about them all. Which f**ked me off, because if he had of just told me in the first place I wouldn't have bothered even going to look at it.

But my BM has been described as immaculate bar a small scuff on the bumper, the spoiler being lose and the exhaust needing a downpipe gasket. And you wouldn't find any other faults with it past that. I just don't know what these jokers are playing at.

• Like 1

I'm trying to get ideas for a new car but I'm kinda struggling for something that really floats my boat. I've got a couple of years no claims but still can't afford silly insurance in some cars.

I'll be making my mini into a track weapon so doesn't have to be particularly fast but I want something a bit different/out of the ordinary.

I have been thinking an e30 bm, got an oka quote on 1.6 and 1.8s but I reckon I ought to keep my mind open to other things too.

Budget is about 1500. Any less would be awesome. I could stretch more if it's worth it but not to keen on doing that.

E36, seriously the best sub £1500 RWD car going.

I have been looking about and have been to see quite a few cars recently and honestly I cannot find anything that drives as well and offers as much gangster comfort.

328's aren't that bad on fuel or insurance and are SO cheap, £1500 will buy you a very nice one. 318is's are not all that slow and are very balanced, £1500 would buy you the nicest of the nice for them.

Edited by Pashley26

.hate to say it but i agree,

E36 sounds like the pertfect car for you

as said the 1.9 318 is a nippy but economical and fun version, or the 328's are fast with a touch more fuel consumption.

for that budget theres literally hundreds of E36's to choose from.

(but if you get an atlantis blue one i will find you, and i will kill you)

Thanks for the pointers! I've been having a browse round and seems like a lot of car for the money, however two things.

1. I love them with m3 bumpers but without I am less than keen.

2. Insurance quote of £2000 for a 1.8!

I'll be keeping my eye out though when the time comes though.

For less than £1500 you can buy mine, and mine is awesome and mint.

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0208-1.jpg

DSC_0211-1.jpg

Personally I don't like M-Tec bumpers, they look chavy unless they have proper stance and some badass wheels like Buckys. And also I don't like the fact that everybody puts an M3 badge on them and people presume they're an M.

Edited by Pashley26

Alternatively, for less than £500 you could have any of the superior models*

*bar the M3, obviously.

You certainly could, but it would be a f**king shed that I wouldn't be seen dead in.

There is nothing wrong with the 4 pots, if you look at the fuel and performance figure compared to other cars of their age they are pretty quick. One of the fastest sub 2L cars of their time that didn't have a turbo.

It is muppets like yourself (no offense intended) that makes cars like mine "worthless", popping up on forums and saying "yeah but you could get abetter car for less" just devalues the model as a whole. Just because it has 2 cylinders extra and a bit more power, that might (and is) hugely offset by insurance, running costs, most of them being f**ked and all of the sub £1000 ones having done intergallactic mileage.

There is no such thing as a cheap BMW, the compromise comes somewhere. Go and find me some of these super cheap 6 pot beemers and let me pick them to pieces. ;)

Edited by Pashley26

I appreciate that the e36 is a good car but I don't want to be to be spending £2000 on insurance. E30s come out about £5-600 cheaper on insurance and somehow they appeal to me more.

I'm not rushing into buying anytime soon so I har got plenty of time to have a nosey at anything else that might suit the bill.

I appreciate that the e36 is a good car but I don't want to be to be spending £2000 on insurance. E30s come out about £5-600 cheaper on insurance and somehow they appeal to me more.

I'm not rushing into buying anytime soon so I har got plenty of time to have a nosey at anything else that might suit the bill.

Yeah. The one Iinked to the other day.

My mum rang me up yesterday and said she needs a car ASAP so she is going to have the Leon off me for £1500 and I have signed up to the company car scheme. Makes the most sense, I get a Mazda 3 1.6 diesel for £34 a month, all I have to do it put fuel in it.