The Car Thread

MadManMike

Fuel, power, cranking... No spark. Bollocks.

Immobiliser? Coil? Some sort of relay?

About the E36 I'd have to agree that they're really nice cars in many respects. Although the interior is really cramped, personally I'd go for a lighter interior like the one Jardo has since it's going to feel nicer. Also don't go around looking for leather seats, they're overrated. The 6pot engines all have very similar fuel consumption, the 2.0L engine being the worst choice since it doesn't have that much more power than a 318is but gobbles up a lot more fuel. The 328 would be a good choice since it's a really quick car and also pulls like a train in low revs. Actually the engine is optimised for low/mid range torque.

I don't know what kind of wizardry was used in the creation of k-seal but it seems to have filled the gap in my dodgy head gasket. Sweeeet.

Jardo: Seems like a good opportunity to take the beemer off the road and turn it into a track weapon. :P

Edited by Pete.M

Immobiliser? Coil? Some sort of relay?

No immobiliser on these... Looking at the coil and dizzy next! Had it off this morning and it looks pretty knackered, but I cant get the rotor off the shaft, so it requires a whole new distributor - for which, honda would like £380. Time to try and find someone breaking one!

Went to collect the M3 from a very lengthy diff job to find that the owner went out to test the car and the bonnet opened on him... It was presumably left open by some customer who probably wanted to see the engine. He says he didn't touch the bonnet and I don't see any reason why he would. So goodbye front windscreen and see you later bonnet. Obviously they are going to fix it and I have no hard feelings towards them for it because I'm not a woman. But I'm getting so put off by that car it's unreal. The fuel line burst before he took the car out covering the workshop in petrol. And the diff flange is still sliding out.

This is actually an issue we could write a whole book about because after 4 days of measuring every single thing in the rear axle, replacing half shafts and flanges with different ones, swapping them over we know absolutely nothing about the cause of this problem. The diff was dismantled, measured only to find it's pretty much brand new and there's not a single thing wrong with it.

.....I want something a bit different/out of the ordinary.....

E36....

The 3 series BMW, having out-sold the Ford Mondeo doesn't really fit that brief now does it Jardo :P In fact I saw more than a handful of them on my way to work this morning, and since getting to the age where me and friends could drive, I don't think I've ever not known someone who owned one, that's definitely not 'a bit different/out of the ordinary'. They're an alright car, but they definitely don't fit that description.

My mums mk5 fiesta is having a problem with the rear windscreen wiper. The wiper doesnt really want to move, its seized so I sprayed gt85 in the mechanism somehow and it moves but only off the screen, when its actually on the windscreen its like it doesnt have enough power then just stops. help?

I would take the BM off the road and turbo/6pot it but I just have nowhere to do it.

Nah, you'd be a fool to do that anyway, don't you know BMW's 4 pots are not renowned for being gash and undesireable and are infact pretty much the best production 4 pot of that era!

Went to collect the M3 from a very lengthy diff job to find that the owner went out to test the car and the bonnet opened on him... It was presumably left open by some customer who probably wanted to see the engine. He says he didn't touch the bonnet and I don't see any reason why he would. So goodbye front windscreen and see you later bonnet. Obviously they are going to fix it and I have no hard feelings towards them for it because I'm not a woman. But I'm getting so put off by that car it's unreal. The fuel line burst before he took the car out covering the workshop in petrol. And the diff flange is still sliding out.

This is actually an issue we could write a whole book about because after 4 days of measuring every single thing in the rear axle, replacing half shafts and flanges with different ones, swapping them over we know absolutely nothing about the cause of this problem. The diff was dismantled, measured only to find it's pretty much brand new and there's not a single thing wrong with it.

probably not what im thinking of but i have heard of some people who use the smaller diffs on bigger engines '36s having to put some weld on the inside of the diff so that they dont pull out?

SLR shots unedited:

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

also my mates 318is on style 47s

IMG_1492.jpg

Nah, you'd be a fool to do that anyway, don't you know BMW's 4 pots are not renowned for being gash and undesireable and are infact pretty much the best production 4 pot of that era!

Oh shush Rich!

That looks rad Bucky, I like it a lot. Have you got anything going on camber wise on the front?

BM is totally 100% staying now, had a bit of a shit day and bailed on the guy that was coming to pick it up. Told my mum I can't help her out with a car. Then ordered a set of adjustable lower arms for the rear and booked it in to have one tire swapped and then dropped on it's bum. Looking at removing the rear spoiler now; I'm thinking the best way is going to be to find a Morea Green boot and swap the whole thing over.

Edited by Pashley26

My mums mk5 fiesta is having a problem with the rear windscreen wiper. The wiper doesnt really want to move, its seized so I sprayed gt85 in the mechanism somehow and it moves but only off the screen, when its actually on the windscreen its like it doesnt have enough power then just stops. help?

I don't really understand why the wiper isn't touching the window but it very much sounds like it needs a new motor. Probably cheapest to get one off eBay.

Been browsing a wee bit, what do people think of alfa 147s? They aren't too bad to insure, are Italian and so have a bit of style.

I was down at silverstone yesterday for Ferrari racing days, was pretty frigging awesome! Seeing fxxs overtaking going nose to tail and the challenge race had some great action in it with an overtake for the win in the last corner! Also it was incredible seeing the world record being beat for ferraris on track, must have been over a thousand! There was at least 4 enzos and 10 f40s! Pics to follow! :)