The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

• 3 weeks later...

5a9aa729c90d5_Checkoutsuccess-800x800.png.5a865f0763e6f3631be82b43b89b26d8.png

Target acquired.

My face whilst pressing that blue button felt it looked like this.

719a759398dd6f1297745393e5570b3d.jpg.8cb17aa8ba89cd48fd7897e71a9bde82.jpg

Now I've got that same nervous buzz that you get in the aftermath of oh so nearly eating it when you miss the front wheel on a sidehop or heading straight towards a tree on the mtb at point blank range

Edited by CC12345678910

On 3/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, MadManMike said:

So what did you go for in the end?

Well it weren't @Tony Harrison's special friend.

Landed on a canon 60D as it retains the movable screen of xx0D canons and has some of gubbinsm weather sealing and features of the 7D DrEvil recommended, making what I believe  to be a nice middle ground and all rounder. Got a 17-85USM lens, charger, a spare battery, all the booklets/discs and a lowepro bag to boot. Hopefully that'll do until I work out what I want next - actually it'll have to as that's all my spending pennys gone til the 25th!

Edited by CC12345678910

• 3 weeks later...

Hate leaving a link but much easier than posting a load of images. Went to a car event for a change, mix it up a little bit. So many photographers just sat on the same corner, all together and not moving. So many messy backgrounds and poor use of light. I'm certainly no amazing car photographer but pretty happy with the odd one.

Link Here.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought a mirrorless setup after spending a bit of time around existing Fuji X-T2/XPro2 owners. Not used it much but it's such a lovely piece of kit with sensible controls like on my old Olympus OM cameras. I'm still keeping all my Nikon gear and it'll get used for more 'rugged' adventures, but I really hope to make a lot of use of the new toy. Also took a punt on the LowePro Utility 100 bag which is a good option for a mirrorless body and a few lenses.

fuji-1.thumb.jpg.7bc3802d1c69f04fc6389a3a63e7b9b2.jpg

fuji-2.thumb.jpg.7b7f49a52fb7b7399849be5d36da5b3b.jpg

fuji-3.thumb.jpg.23e02e418b4b211612d8b8a856507fb4.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2018 at 1:06 AM, MadManMike said:

I took this today, fooking love it.

34268549_10160365900255587_4065149458621

Brilliant! :D

I've finally edited these photos (4x5s exposures) together after having them lying on my drive for 10 months... I'm never that keen on editing photos sadly.

28731959018_26f4c8df43_b.jpg

Lightnings Over The Rotonda by Geoffrey's Creations, on Flickr

Edited by Topsy
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, DrEvil270183 said:

Don't think Canon has a proper mirrorless yet but something is being released soon. :)
Nikon just release one finally but it's only got 1 memory card slot so that's a no go. Keep looking at the Sony a7iii or a9 but not sure I can afford to change it all. They do look amazing though, especially the a9.

The number of people that have commented on the 1 slot thing, saying stuff along the lines of "They never used to have 2 slots", is driving me nuts.

Yes, they didn't used to have 2 slots, so what? We do now. We didn't even have cameras full stop, so should we just not take photos?

It's such a backwards comment. Fact is, 2 slots is standard now and for very good reason, so Nikon not putting them on that camera is a daft move that will lose them customers.

As someone who doesn’t know shit about photography, why two slots? Are we talking just about a fail safe or to swap writing between each of the cards or something for speed when shooting in bursts? Forgive my naivety, just interesting to see strong opinions on something that doesn’t seem obvious from the outside. 

It's a failsafe for most.

I always write to two cards simultaneously if I know that I'm shooting stuff I can't recreate a day or two later.

I wouldn't want to touch a camera with just one slot for any kind of serious photography, especially not if delivering photos means getting paid.