The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Cheers! Yeah apparently it's an RSV1000R (not Mille) it's from late 2003, but I think it's classed as the 2004> model, and it's a nightmare trying to find the right pillion seat!

Paid £2700, it's a cat C but I don't really care, it's just the odd bit of questionable paint finish & a missing infill panel. Proper tidy ones are going for £4k.

Yeah I've had 2 older Milles before & read all about the sprag clutch thing, but it seems to be fine, alarm won't do the battery any favours though.

Listen kid, let's not start a "who's got the ugliest bike" competition, because you will not come off well.

I'm scared, it's so complicated. It's got something called "water cooling", and 2 cylinders with 4 spark plugs and 6 valves!

For anyone interested, it's one of these:

VT500E.jpg

It's got some massive fairing fitted at the moment, but that's coming off. It's almost mint, and I paid £600 for it. It's ugly but incredibly good condition for a 26 year old bike and doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it...

If it's low mileage, I'd have it checked out properly. Decades in a garage could easily chuff the seals in the engine.

It's on 43k, pretty evenly spread over the last 26 years. For many years it only did 1k.

I'll be checking it all over properly though. I've rebuilt gearboxes before (well, helped) so I'm not too worried.

It's a Honda though so there will be things that are needlessly complicated and difficult to setup without a production line...

• Like 1

I'd rather have the VT Ben, the ZZR is too pretty, I'd be worried about it getting knicked all the time. Always fancied an 1100. One day maybe...

Just got an insurance quote of £104 TPFT with cover on other bikes. Job done!

Can't think of a more complete bike for what I need. Looking forward to picking it up on Sat. :)

• Like 1

Tis great! More comfortable than my sofa and enough power to do 60 on any road, so perfect for some summer touring I hope. Unfortunately it does have rather epic clutch slippage when accelerating hard in 5th and 6th gears. This stops it from going over 85, or so I'm told...

It's a typical Honda in several ways though. The fuel tank is a pippette (I brimmed from reserve-20m and it took 14.5l) and it's too bloody complicated in many ways. Luckily though, the clutch is incredibly simple and nothing else seems to be broken or dodgy at all!

What oil had it got in it? Some older clutches don't like modern oils and will slip, the ccm does this if you switch to synthetic having used mineral before.

14.5 litre tank? The ccm has a whopping 9 including reserve :D

Edited by forteh

It's slipping too badly and rattling too much to be just the oil IMO. I'm going to strip it down next weekend (hopefully) and see what is what. I suspect the clutch bearing is shot, and the clutch plates and springs will be worn. To replace the plates, springs and bearing will only cost about £75 though at most. I can't find a single other thing wrong with it really though, well happy with it for £600!

It's probably got around 13.5l or so of normal tank. Seems very small to me on a bike aimed at commuting and touring. The previous owner managed to get around 170 miles to a tank though so pretty good economy wise. 50-55mpg or so.

Got a flat tyre on the way to work, 2 bikers went past and none of them stopped to see if I needed any help.

The bike was dangerous anyways as the real brake kept on locking up and the chain was super loose. £200 in the end. Feels like soooo much better to ride though.

I took my girlfriend out for tea tonight, 10 miles from home there was a clang and the bike lurched as if it has misfired. Carried on completely fine, but got home to find that the shaft drive had pissed oil onto the rear tyre. It turns smoothly but I am a little concerned. Bits of metal floating around the shaft drive and oil on the tyre don't make the best of friends...

MOT is up in 3 weeks and I live 30 miles from my Dad's workshop. Joy. Going to have to limp it there on Saturday and just hope that I'm only crawling if the shaft decides to explode and lock the read wheel.

Edited by Muel

• 1 month later...

So, I've never felt the privilege to post in here because of my dog of a motorbike (MZ 125) but now I've just bought a Suzuki Goose! Don't know when I'm going to go and get it nor how I'm going to get it home, 250 miles each way!

You do realise this thread will just be you and I talking to each other, with the odd person asking about getting their licence? :P

My bike is great, seeing 70mpg sometimes and apart from little stuff (indicators, speedo/rev counter cables) nothing has needed replacing yet. It is a bit tired though as it is a 45k engine. I stripped the clutch down as it was slipping pretty badly, cleaned it all up and measured everything, and it was all like new. Put it back together and it does still slip a little but nowhere near as bad or as often.

Drive shaft issues were purely from it having the wrong oil in it. I replaced it and I've done 750 miles since with no trouble.

Almost at the point where I can go touring with my womanfriend this summer now. :)

Hey! I turn up once in a blue moon to say something kawasaki related too... Umm so yeah, new nissin calipers ready to go on, left hand fork seal needs doing and tyres are getting low, but none the less, i packed it up with luggage and went to my 1st rally of the year. With a case of beer in the topbox, it will wheelie on power in 1st n 2nd, which is interesting! 10313035_10150421761324956_5203076992727