The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Thought the MZ was a Kawasaki? I guess not then.

Is there a picture of your VT500E?

Nope. MZ were an east German brand before they went bust.

This is my VT with the big fairing fitted:

20140309_070656.jpg

This is it with the little headlight fairing fitted all laiden up with camping kit:

20140412_175000.jpg

• Like 1

Nope. MZ were an east German brand before they went bust.

MZ is actually a famous choose for bike on the East side of Europe ( as for years they had 1/2 options in larger bikes, whereas MZ was cheaper) as they are simple, and powerful (compared to... nothing)

How come you bought an MZ Wilf?

I didn't buy one my brother (Muel) gave me one haha. Probably the shittest, most dangerous bike I'll ever ride but I had alot of fun on it, surprising how quick it will go through the corners on twisty roads. My brother couldn't keep up on his big, "modern" 50BHP Honda 500 so it can't be that bad. :P

I didn't buy one my brother (Muel) gave me one haha. Probably the shittest, most dangerous bike I'll ever ride but I had alot of fun on it, surprising how quick it will go through the corners on twisty roads. My brother couldn't keep up on his big, "modern" 50BHP Honda 500 so it can't be that bad. :P

if you want to find something "Eastern" and dangerous google Simpson tuning

They are 50ccm machines, kinda like a smaller MZ and usually they put 70/90 ccm, resonating exhaust, mad paint, custom frame, single shock

incredible. not smart, but incredible

if you want to find something "Eastern" and dangerous google Simpson tuning

They are 50ccm machines, kinda like a smaller MZ and usually they put 70/90 ccm, resonating exhaust, mad paint, custom frame, single shock

incredible. not smart, but incredible

Haha yeah I think I've heard of them. I'll stick with my Goose though, I'm enjoying very much a bike with brakes that work, power and decent suspension, just awesome in every way. :P

I want another MZ, these big heavy bikes are rubbish.

Is yours still road legal Wilf? Might use the tax up for you haha.

What you need is a Goose, I'll let you have a go on mine when its had a few more jobs done to make it nicer.

Yeah it is, I can't ride it anymore because the b*****d insurance men won't let me have a multi-bike policy yet. :(

What you need muel is a Suzuki gsxr750 k7. Probably the most mental bike I've ever ridden. Can do normal stuff with pretty good economy, my old man got 45+mpg riding to work. But when the mood takes you, they are so fricking fast it's unreal. Best bike that my old man has ever had, and thats after his ducati 999 as well

• Like 1

Those bikes you've both just named are all mad like you said. Ever though of having a smaller bike and actually being able to use it on the roads? My Dads ridden/owned every type of bike there is and he truely believes that a smaller bike is more fun because you can really thrash them where ever you go. I'm not talking 125's and shit but like 30bhp-50bhp.

Seriously boys just research a Suzuki Goose, I'm finding it so much fun to ride. It'll probably do 100mph and you can lean it over as far as you like. I bet when I've got it properly sorted and got used to it I could keep up with the 600's on the twisty roads round here. :P

Edit: here is mine.

84C02A61-D51D-458F-8CF8-0B1EA39E6C56_zps

6BEEADA7-24BA-4375-B382-91061C6F565D_zps

Edited by wilf

Muel: have you ridden a 'proper' modern bike? You really ought to get yourself a test ride on an mt-09 or a KTM 690 or something rather than playing around on these old dangerous things!

I did ride a CG125 once. It was utterly shit.

I've no interest whatsoever in an MT-09 or any of the bikes in the big naked class, far too reliable and boring. I'm not one of these old duffers that believe old bikes are better because they have more character, I just prefer them because you tend to have more of an adventure.

My Honda is a 'proper' modern bike anyway. It's got chain driven overhead camshafts, 3 valves per head and 2 sparkplugs per head!

Btw I didn't buy the Honda because I like it, I bought it because it was cheap, comfortable and reliable. I paid £600 for it and TPFT insurance for a year was £106. :lol:

Speaking of touring, my girlfriend and I are going on a touring trip in a couple of weeks, 5 days with camping gear, planning on setting out from Sheffield and heading north on the wiggley roads skirting around Huddersfield and heading into the Yorkshire dales. I want to have a look at the Buttertubs Pass while we're there, then head up in to the Lake District, then across to the North Yorkshire Moors, then back down into Derbyshire.

What you need muel is a Suzuki gsxr750 k7. Probably the most mental bike I've ever ridden. Can do normal stuff with pretty good economy, my old man got 45+mpg riding to work. But when the mood takes you, they are so fricking fast it's unreal. Best bike that my old man has ever had, and thats after his ducati 999 as well

:lol: Oh no I f**king don't, that's a sports bike! Why would I want something uncomfortable, expensive and wayyy too fast to thrash on public roads? 45mpg is not good economy either, that is bad. I get 70mpg and I don't ride economically at all.

I want that Goose. It's the most perfect bike you could ever own for twisty B road riding.

Edited by Muel

Worst touring bike in the world haha. 3mm of foam on the seat, 200db exhaust and vibrations so strong that women can't ride it? If you can take a week off from your busy schedule of mopping floors and mowing grass you can come. :D

As a bike purely for twisty B roads I honestly can't think of a better bike, but as an all-rounder it is a bit underpowered IMO. It'd get a bit tiring on the motorway haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Picking up a ZX-9R tonight. My ZZR-600 wasn't worth the money passing it through an MOT with all that needed doing.

Anyone ridden one before that can give me an opinion? Looking forward to having the oomph of a bigger bike again.

ZX9R_(ZX_900_E1_E2)_00-01_5.jpg

Which zx9r? Apparently the c1/c2 (the second carbed model), which are lighter than the first b model, are the ones to have. A lad I used to work with had one, and loved it