The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Soo how is it mate? What you doing with the ZZR?

Ben

Quick. It's nice to have the extra oomph. Though it's going to be a lot less comfortable than the ZZR, which has been sold mate!

Which zx9r? Apparently the c1/c2 (the second carbed model), which are lighter than the first b model, are the ones to have. A lad I used to work with had one, and loved it

It's the E model I think. A few years newer than the Cs. It's like the above but has purple wheels.

• Like 1

New bike looks a bit smart Luke. Hope it's all nice and tidy. :P

My bike is getting some pretty big jobs done in the next month or so. Oil & oil filter change and a new set of clutch springs this weekend, then a new rear tyre, then the exhaust system needs looking at as it's blowing quite badly from the right hand side and something is loose and rattling around in there.

Slowly getting toward the end of the list of things needed though. Luckily it's not needed anything expensive doing so far.

Got my worst fuel consumption ever on Sunday before last, 52mpg. :lol: Normally see about 70-75mpg.

New bike looks a bit smart Luke. Hope it's all nice and tidy. :P

My bike is getting some pretty big jobs done in the next month or so. Oil & oil filter change and a new set of clutch springs this weekend, then a new rear tyre, then the exhaust system needs looking at as it's blowing quite badly from the right hand side and something is loose and rattling around in there.

Slowly getting toward the end of the list of things needed though. Luckily it's not needed anything expensive doing so far.

Got my worst fuel consumption ever on Sunday before last, 52mpg. :lol: Normally see about 70-75mpg.

I think it could do with a service and a few miles put through it. other than that it's pretty clean!

10439075_10152893088219307_468763019_o.j

Speaking of touring, my girlfriend and I are going on a touring trip in a couple of weeks, 5 days with camping gear, planning on setting out from Sheffield and heading north on the wiggley roads skirting around Huddersfield and heading into the Yorkshire dales. I want to have a look at the Buttertubs Pass while we're there, then head up in to the Lake District, then across to the North Yorkshire Moors, then back down into Derbyshire.

This year I got fully hooked. I've never had a UK bike licence despite riding motorbikes since I was about 8 (started with a TY-50 bored out to 65cc!), but renting in Asia is fairly easy. And actually when the Post Office made me an international driving permit, they stamped the 'bikes up to 450kg' box, which might make things a bit easier.

If any of you are considering holiday options, bikes in Asia might not be as much as you think. Best bet is to buy and then sell again, which in India is fairly easy. One of the best things is that, within reason, you can go wherever you want - nobody cares. Farmland, lanes, it's virtually all fair game. One exception to that is Myanmar, where I rode for 3 weeks in Feb/Mar, and wild camping is not allowed. One night we camped out in the most amazing spot after hiding the bikes under some trees, only to be disturbed by about 20 locals with torches and radios come to find out who we were. We were promptly evicted.

I've ridden in Cambodia on beaten-up old Honda Bajas, and often have to pay the cops bribes because I don't have a local licence. Funnily enough they don't touch me when I have a GoPro on my helmet, which is actually disappointing because I wanted to film one of the 'transactions'. I'm looking to rent a Honda CRF250L in Laos for a few days next week to test ride one, as I'd like to buy one to ride here (Thailand). Maybe I need to see what else is around because something a bit bigger would be nice, like a 400.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions or wants contacts, let me know. Some photos below from India, which you can see by bike really easily and cheaply. Biggest expense will be flights, but the rest makes for an amazing adventure. Word of warning though, be careful camping in a national park because being disturbed at night by a rhino is worse than Burmese villagers ; )

2.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

19.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

• Like 2

Ha ha, thanks! The photos were another story, it was hard work. The last one I spotted a few days before on the way up the mountain - I was last up and the others were ahead, so I earmarked it for the return leg and made sure to get there before the others. As you're a camera guy too, for info it was a Nikon D300s with a 70-200mm f/2.8 - I think maybe at the long end, which is equivalent field of view of 300mm, obviously.

The only bike I've ever dropped was my trials bike, and that was only ever due to bumpy bits. :P

Just trying to work out how to persuade my Dad to let me have a go on his Bandit 12 before he sells it.

Friend of mine insists I should try his BMW GS 1200 Adventure next time I'm in France. If I lived in Europe I'd love a bike like that, but his friend just downsized to the new 800. I just don't think I'd do enough miles to make it worthwhile.

I saw 6 germans riding through Whitby recently on those R1200GSs. All had the same colour bikes, identicle flip up helmets with microphones and identicle jackets and trousers with BMW badges on. I laughed so hard that I pissed a little in my pants and had to run to the toilet to finish myself off. Possibly the most German thing I've ever seen in my life!

Those 800s do look like the perfect bike for exploring the world on. I do fancy one!

The only bike I've ever dropped was my trials bike, and that was only ever due to bumpy bits. :P

Just trying to work out how to persuade my Dad to let me have a go on his Bandit 12 before he sells it.

Bandit 12. Proper wheelie machine

Indeed, that's why he's selling it. He's 54, a bit weak and about 11 stone, so he can't ride it properly any more without it wheelieing or going sideways. He prefers bikes like mine now haha. 50bhp or so in a bike that lets you use all of them

Anyone want to buy a 600 hornet for little money? It's sitting in the garden and I need to make room, needs a bit of tlc and tidying but generally solid and cheap. Make a perfect winter hack/commuter. It's currently sorn so will need to be trailered ideally.

Edited by forteh