What Did We Do Before Mobile Phones ?

dann2707

Strange oneee!

My phone contract has run out so I cant send or recieve texts but wondered peoples take on things.

Im off to Sheffield tonight for a night out and meeing up with a uni mate but he keeps changing his mind on whats happening or where we are meeting.

If i didnt have fbook chat and he wanted to do such a thing say 30 years ago, what would we have done?

Were people.just.more strict.on plans and kept to them or just ended up missing each other altogether? I dont get it haaha.

I feel ultimately lost not being able to organise shit. Any ideas!

Same with if you were running late. how would the other person know ?!

I always just used to organise to meet at a time/place and be there, didn't get my first mobile till after I graduated in '01; the cost of a mobile at the time was something I didn't want to have to find on a student budget :)

We used to phone house phones, arrange a time and a place to meet, and if you weren't there at that time then you were basically screwed :P (so you turned up on time). Generally there was one guy who knew what everyone else was doing so if in doubt you'd just phone him.

Either that or just meet at the persons house and go from there.

• Like 1

Ah the days before mobiles, something youths today will never quite grasp.

Back when we actually knew peoples home numbers off by heart or knocked on there door to see if they were coming out.

us old uns remember this well. you bloody youths of today are too used to technology. scared of fresh air. I hate phones, mine never bloody stops ringing or going off. only got one cos I don't have a laptop anymore

If i didnt have fbook chat and he wanted to do such a thing say 30 years ago, what would we have done?

How old are you? I only got a mobile phone about 12 years ago, pretty much no one had them until around then (give or take a couple of years). And now Ive got a GPS/wifi/bluetooth touchscreen internet browsing/video watching slab of awesome in my pocket. Modern life rules.

P.S. If anyone's reading this from like 2050, yeah I'm aware what I've said sounds horrendously dated.

• Like 6

I was very late getting a mobile, and to be honest wish i'd left it longer! Miss the days of either ringing house phones or having to walk/ride epic distances just to knock on someones door on the hope they are in.

As much as i love my iphone and all it does, texting and ringing is an easy way to hide something and not interact quite as well. Sounds a bit odd, not sure if i've said it right. That's why i tend to ring people more often than piss about sending people a few megabytes of words.

What I find bizarre is how nothing is built to last any more. If I bought my first phone 12 years ago, and work out the number of phones I've had during that time it probably comes to at least 10-15, each lasting less than a year on average. My iPhone 4 is coming up to 2 years old which makes it practically old fashioned. Similarly, my games console will soon be out of date, my laptop's getting slower compared to the competition, and there's probably 5-6 other items I own which go out of date and 'need' replacing every couple of years. It's weird.

If you bought something (anything) in 1975, you probably expected it to last more than a couple of years.

I hate the way mobile phones have allowed people to be late and just let others know and expect it to be accepted. I still just move on if people are late, f**k em.

Exactly what Im getting at. Its like an excuse for people not to turn up/ stick to plans etc.

I'm 20 btw. :( 20

My iPhone 4 is coming up to 2 years old which makes it practically old fashioned. Similarly, my games console will soon be out of date, my laptop's getting slower compared to the competition, and there's probably 5-6 other items I own which go out of date and 'need' replacing every couple of years. It's weird.

I get mocked for having a 5 year old phone. It has a camera and everything but because it's not touch screen people treat me like a cave man. I just don't like touch screens, much prefer the feel of a big ol' button.

What I find bizarre is how nothing is built to last any more. If I bought my first phone 12 years ago, and work out the number of phones I've had during that time it probably comes to at least 10-15, each lasting less than a year on average. My iPhone 4 is coming up to 2 years old which makes it practically old fashioned. Similarly, my games console will soon be out of date, my laptop's getting slower compared to the competition, and there's probably 5-6 other items I own which go out of date and 'need' replacing every couple of years. It's weird.

If you bought something (anything) in 1975, you probably expected it to last more than a couple of years.

Are you serious that you find this bizarre?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Edited by Matt Vandart

Before I got a mobile phone I called landlines, since I got my mobile I've never had to ask over the phone "Hello is XXXXXX here? Can I speak to him/her please?". Now I can just call and go "sup biatch?". My first mobile was a 3510i, which I barely used then I got my sisters old Samsung SGH-E900 which was a nice upgrade then I found a nice and slim Sony Ericsson on the bus then an Iphone 3G and now an Iphone 4.

Since having the 3G and 4 with unlimited internet I haven't put it down ever. I'm always texting (the girlfriend mostly), check emails, go on forums, youtube, as a camera, play some games now and then, eBay, check the weather and train times, as a music player, watch films, for notes, reminders, maps and other little handy apps.

I don't think I'll ever go back to an old style phone, though it would be nice to get away from all the technology from time to time.