New Onza Bikes

ClarkeHutchison

Can't believe they released yet another onza rip....

Might not make a lot of sense to you, but then you don't own the business and I can pretty much guarantee they sell a shed load more lower end bikes than they do top end bikes, so it probably makes a whole lot of sense to them. Saying that a lot of what you say has little to no thought or logic behind it so it's to be expected...

Genesis is a lovely bike, good geo, good spec and a nice colour with subtle graphics. Onza have potentially produced a really good seller and i'm sure as a frame it will sell well too.

• Like 2

I can see where you're coming from, I had one when I first started. It was a great starter bike (the 2009 version, can't comment on the 2010 and 2012), but now I'd save up an extra £600 for the genesis any day.

It's just being so used to seeing a good spec bike around 400-500 (second hand) and then seeing a low end onza at that price with vees...

That's fair enough, but the general reason that second hands trials bikes don't hold their value is due to the punishment they take and the fact that the majority of trials riders are of a younger age who can't pay what they are really worth; it's artificially dragged down the price of second hand trials bikes and parts. If you looked at any other bike discipline you'd see second hand bikes hold their value much much better. Even looking abroad to America/Canada where you find the majority of riders are older with more money you'll see the 2nd hand market is at a higher price. It's an odd situation but i can't see it changing.

On a side note, a new young rider who's parents are going to be buying there first bike will be much more confident in buying a bike from a shop where they get things explained to them and they have some after sales support will look at these as an affordable and good value option. Hence why Onza produce them and do so well with them too.

• Like 2

I seriously get a little mad/disappointed when I saw that pretty much all the bikes where fitted with a 30click freewheel...? That's ridicolous! Even the Onza vox which cost £750 has it! I'll give it a thumb down.

But the genesis is sweet! Wouldn't mind having it even though I think it's overpriced.

• Like 1

On a side note, a new young rider who's parents are going to be buying there first bike will be much more confident in buying a bike from a shop where they get things explained to them and they have some after sales support will look at these as an affordable and good value option. Hence why Onza produce them and do so well with them too.

Nail on the head (Y) Customer service counts for a lot, especially for a younger rider's first step into the trials world. Parents who are spending £100s on a 'silly bike' wouldn't necessarily want to be flinging that money to a randomer off a forum rather than a shop they can research, speak to, etc.

Trying to make bikes good to fit a price point is tricky, and I'd say Onza have done reasonably well. There are things I'd change (I don't get why there's the muntery welded stem on the Zoot when a forged stem would be lighter, cheaper and stronger, for example), but then things that I would've changed on the previous models seem to have been done this time. The Pro coming with Avid cable discs now is a massive win compared to the brakes that were on previously.

In terms of the Rip, it fills a price point on the market. They're not the best bike out there, but my first 'proper' trials bike was an Onza T-Bird with a 20" rear wheel way back in 2000. It cost me £219 and I had to change a few bits as I improved, but at that point in the market there's nothing else around. Yes, you could save up and get a 'better' bike to begin with, but for someone in the position I was in - saving up money from a paper round to buy a bike - having to add another few hundred £s to afford a bike isn't always possible. Similarly, with the cost of living going up parents can't necessarily justify spending £500+ on a bike when they could get a 2011 Bird for £379ish, a new Rip for £399 or the new Bird for whatever that retails for now (totally forgotten).

• Like 1

Would love a genesis frame, but would rather put all my own bits on it (as i'm sure most people will) so I think they'll sell more there.

Am quiet surprised at that 30 click freewheel though, feel it will really let the feel of the bikes down.

But finally I am impressed at the onza bird's high bottom bracket, imagine that's quiet a nice feeling bike now

disgusting colour schemes.. again :/

i dissagree, personally i really like the colour scheme for the genesis its the first colour scheme i like from onza for a while, i haven't seen any of the others as of yet, but i am impressed with the genesis :)

Adam.

• Like 1

Just a reflection on some of the comments on here.

We'd love to fit a Tensile freewheel on everything, but its just too expensive. At least the freewheel we fit is a good strong one and handles the abuse of new riders very well. Even top class freewheels have a limited lifespan. It was felt to be a good place for your first upgrade.

As stated, the Rip is always the best seller, but we haven't just repeated it. We have looked very carefully at geometry and improved it greatly. The new Rip handles much better than any previous models.

The Ska has never been for the timid and its colours and graphics are definitely in your face. Last years Ska was universally slagged off on the forum, and it turned out to be the fastest selling bike we ever produced being the first to completely sell out before last Christmas. So this sort of citicism is music to my ears.

• Like 4

Just a reflection on some of the comments on here.

We'd love to fit a Tensile freewheel on everything, but its just too expensive. At least the freewheel we fit is a good strong one and handles the abuse of new riders very well. Even top class freewheels have a limited lifespan. It was felt to be a good place for your first upgrade.

As stated, the Rip is always the best seller, but we haven't just repeated it. We have looked very carefully at geometry and improved it greatly. The new Rip handles much better than any previous models.

The Ska has never been for the timid and its colours and graphics are definitely in your face. Last years Ska was universally slagged off on the forum, and it turned out to be the fastest selling bike we ever produced being the first to completely sell out before last Christmas. So this sort of citicism is music to my ears.

People far too often forget that models like the Rip and Ska are more aimed at kids the majority of whom probably dont even know Trials-Forum exists.

r-NAIL-HEAD-large570.jpg

(Y)

• Like 1