How Long Before Everyones Dual Disc?

customrider-Rhys

uci riders ride what they are given by there sponsors.

and can usualy have lots of maggy spares on hand if one were to break.

break just what i thought ?

people on here seem to worry too much about bending a steel disc, which quite easily can be straightened.

when i used to run maggys the problems i had were levers snapping, hoses getting caught on rocks and splitting and worst of all constantly loosing bite due to mud or water.

using discs now the only problem i get is if i bend the rotor i need to bend it back or pull out my spare and fit it.

i am running 160mm front and rear on my mod

and 180mm on my 24" both have more than enough bite to hold on some of the more challenging gaps and hooks i am doing.

i havent used hope trial brakes from the older versions but these new trialzones are amazing imo

they have more power than avid elixir's avid code 2005 models. shimano 2012 deore's, and possibly saints.

look at any uci world final ther's not a disc in sight they all run maggiys, cos they'r better only reason I run front disc is cos that's what my bike had when I bought it and it gives you a bit of modulation so I left it on as I don't use the front brake an awful lot.

Who have you been watching?

Abel Musteiles ran discs on his Koxx up until he joined Monty, and Benito is still running them.

Danni Comas is a big fan of discs too

Discs are awesome on mods, but anything upwards it has to Maguras/ Vee brakes for me.

Again, its all down to set up. Good pads, good grind, well bled and well setup you should have no issues with your maguras at all.

So long as its all well set up a good grind isnt always essential either. Im running some really worn TNN Blacks while I wait for my new pads to arrive. Set up all square, pretty dead grind. Just ride for a while and let the brake bed in. Good hold, decent bite, almost silent. Perfect dry weather brake.

The same setup, with my new Black pads, with a fresh grind will be insane.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

This conversation was had when discs first started appearing on trials bikes (or any bikes to be fair). It's still the case that not everyone is dual disc, and that will always be the case. Mainly because some people are retarded and want to run rim brakes ;)

• Like 1

and 180mm on my 24" both have more than enough bite to hold on some of the more challenging gaps and hooks i am doing.

i havent used hope trial brakes from the older versions but these new trialzones are amazing imo

they have more power than avid elixir's avid code 2005 models. shimano 2012 deore's, and possibly saints.

No,that is not possible.

Who have you been watching?

Abel Musteiles ran discs on his Koxx up until he joined Monty, and Benito is still running them.

Danni Comas is a big fan of discs too

Discs are awesome on mods, but anything upwards it has to Maguras/ Vee brakes for me.

Again, its all down to set up. Good pads, good grind, well bled and well setup you should have no issues with your maguras at all.

So long as its all well set up a good grind isnt always essential either. Im running some really worn TNN Blacks while I wait for my new pads to arrive. Set up all square, pretty dead grind. Just ride for a while and let the brake bed in. Good hold, decent bite, almost silent. Perfect dry weather brake.

The same setup, with my new Black pads, with a fresh grind will be insane.

yeah I was talking about stock to be fair I haven't watched allot of mod stuff, either brake is good if you set it up properly, but haven't seen any stock comp riders with discs, I'v had allot of trouble getting enough power out of my front disc, until I got a tech trial that is.

I dont think duel disc is practical on anything but mod personally. I just cant see it taking off on 26 and 24inch bikes. Front disc is all good but rear isn't great.

Are you being serious? You can't see dual disc taking off on 24"? Really? I can't run anything but discs on my 24 so my guess is they've taken off. Disc brake technology is pretty darned good these days so I don't understand peoples apparent concerns about them not holding/working/whatever.

You say rear disc isn't great? Why? I can tell you why it is great. For me since I'm riding summit dual disc I can ride quietly, I can ride more residential places later without the fear of annoying people. I can slow down without rinsing my brake pads. I can pull absolutely beautiful skids with no brake noise. It makes your riding feel so much smoother. I can modulate (imagine that). I can feather a brake (absurd) and yet have all the power to lock it up when I need it.

I have landed the most shitly placed ups due to the strength of my rear disc in many ways that my old crap-ass magura would have cried away from.

To condense: You can be quiet, and you can brake when going fast without noise and killed pads. What could be better?

and possibly saints.

NO.

Buut anyhow, sorry dual disc haters but it's the way forward! It's sooo superior and just better in pretty much every way, maybe not for stocks but deffo for mod's and 24. Bare in mind that I've nothing against rim brakes, but disc are just better.