Bike Trials, How Has It Changed Your Life

trialskidy

My name is Dylan Carthew , i left school when i was 11 years young,

i had no education for 2 years after that until i went to a place once a week just for a little bit of learning, then a year after that i stopped going to that place and had home schooling ,

until a few months ago, a month ago i started a bike collage course kinda thing, About 3 years ago there was a night where i had a panic atta

ck, ever since then i have had a panic attack nearly every day until a few months ago when i got some medication that actually worked, I also had dizziness, breathing problems, anxiety problems, there was a point where i could barley leave the house,

I still get dizzy sometimes, also have breathing problems sometimes , I love life

About 1.5 years ago i started to see trials bike videos and i tried some trials on my mountain bike tried endos and stuff like that, then i got a hitman and it gave me the encouragement to get outside meet new people, fight my fears

​and basically sort my life out i started doing it more and more each day although i did get dizzy every 5 or so minutes so i had to give it a rest and then ride again, it made me fight the dizziness and i managed to be able to go out longer and longer, when i first started i could not go much further then along my road, a year and a half down the line, i have managed to travel 50 miles for a ride, as expected i got dizzy , but i had no choice but to push through it and carry on doing what i love,

So i wanna hear what it has done to your life.

Thanks for reading

Edited by trialskidy
  • Like 3

Been riding for 3+ years, all my friends are now from riding bikes.

I have met people from the other continents and other parts of my country just for the fact that we all like trials.

I am willing to lend anyone my couch if a rider comes over to my city.

I was a loser before I started trials, giving up when things got hard.

Trials taught me to push through the hard times and eventually I can make it.

so yeah trials means a lot to me.

Now I have a brakeless NS Suburban for street riding as well, but I will never give up trials.

Edited by Sam Song
  • Like 2

Met some awesome people and it's made me visit cities I would never have bothered to see otherwise.

It's nice knowing that if I find myself stuck in a city away from sexy Leeds I can ring someone up from the city i'm in and no doubt they will come out to see me. Thank Facebook for that.

Oh but my shins are f**ked like.

I'd say it's given me loads of confidence too, I find it so easy to randomly go up to people and talk to them whereas I was a bit shy before.

• Like 6

Well, I'm profoundly deaf and found team sports a bit of hassle. I try road biking still, but it's f**king boring when people can sit and ride talking to eachother whereas I can't hear anything due to wind noise getting in my hearing aid microphones.

Trials is a great social sport, you can message people you don't know and ask if they want to go on a ride, whereas in pretty much any other sport you'd be seen as a perv... ha.

It made me more confident, and more flexible too. :P

• Like 7

Met lots of people, all which ive had a great laugh with and have helped me with riding, explored places that i would never of thought to go to, love the community and how every rider is social and up for riding with anyone new, destroyed my shins abit but recently brought shin pads to help abit, love how it gives you the adrealine to push yourself to go bigger and get better, its a sport that no matter how long or often you've done or been doing it you still want to do it more, will never give up its fun keeps me on my toes you meet great people and its soo addictive, change my life and my bank balance ;)

• Like 3

I used to drink too much, take drugs, fight and spent a bit of time in prison. Now I ride trials I stay fit and I'm generally a nicer person.I suppose I was looking for excitement before but found it in the wrong places. I just wish I'd discovered trials sooner.

• Like 7

I massivley lacked self confidence in absoloutely everything. In myself, my ability and fitness.

Saw the MAD team do a trials display one year, and was hooked, couldnt stop watching trials.

A month or two later my Dad bought me my first trials bike, loved it ever since.

Its now my fourth year in the sport, going onto my fifth, and its completely changed me as a person. Im far more confident, having met new people and been to different places, and far fitter, which has added to my confidence.

Id say I was addicted to the sport. Its the one thing I enjoy most, and never want to stop.

• Like 1

I used to drink too much, take drugs, fight and spent a bit of time in prison. Now I ride trials I stay fit and I'm generally a nicer person.I suppose I was looking for excitement before but found it in the wrong places. I just wish I'd discovered trials sooner.

That must explain all the tattoos Joe! lol

Me..

I've been on and off for the past 9 years it was like a phase where i lived. Sometimes it ended up just being me who was the only rider in my town. Since i found the forum it helped to go on group rides, meet new people, visit new places and i want to continue this for as long as i can. I just wish where the times i was on my own that i rode more. Unfortunately drumming some how took over from joining bands and gigging etc lol.

Now that am riding with a group who seem a committed bunch to trials am nearly out 1-3 times per week where as before i was lucky to be out once every fortnight. We meet up with lads from Hull and Doncaster and get a regular ride sorted which is pretty cool. Also meet guys from different parts of yorkshire/lincolnshire for occasional rides. Right about now i seem to be happy with riding hoping to sign up for tyketrials next year to broaden things up and looking forward to graduating uni and Radfest 2013.

Met some pretty nice and cool people during my time hopefully i want to meet more!

Keep thinking of a road trip next summer and ride some places down south.

Andy

Edited by Andeee
  • Like 1

I didn't start full on trials riding until I was 29, which was the point in my life when a few things at home went pete tong, and I could finally afford a proper trials bike, and it has properly changed my life for the better. met loads of decent lads, and a couple of decent birds, messed about on just about every style of trials bike there is before settling on a double maggie mod. more importantly at my age now(31), it does me the world of good exercise wise, so much so my knee problems have disappeared. it's just like any other sport, there are a few dicks about and some elitism, but on the whole it's generally pretty good. and some ace events and places to go. glad I stuck at it now

• Like 2

It kinda changed my whole life haha... I've mets loads and loads of cool people, got new friends, got into a pretty good shape, and generally more confident too, can talk to random people like it's nothing even celebrities. It's quite funny that a bike could change a person.. But it has, really changed me somehow haha!

• Like 1

Every major 'life decision' I've had to make since around 2000 has been based around riding. Subjects at A-levels, the subject I chose for my degree, choosing to move out of my family home and move to London because I knew there'd be good riding there, saving up money to live in Newcastle for as long as I could before my money ran out because the scene up there was f**king amazing, moving to Hebden Bridge to work at TartyBikes, the type of car I bought (can fit my 24 in without having to take wheels off - ideal), leaving Hebden to move to Blackpool because the riding seemed pretty good, etc.

I've got interests outside of riding, but I'd say that riding bikes has generally shaped me into the person I am and formed the life I've led so far.

• Like 4

it's motivated me to be fit, i based my choice of uni on riding, i stayed in education to maintain trials. it's opened my eyes to all types of cycling and let me realise that i've got the opportunity to do all sorts of things through cycling, i feel like it defines me, and meeting you lot can be fun...

• Like 1

Rode trials years ago in my early teens on a modified Saracen XC bike, then a DDG shooter(classy LOL). Joined the army after school and unfortunately drifted away from trials and bikes in general, always kept my hand in with magazines and the odd dvd here and there but pretty much stopped riding. Fast forward 11 n half years, im now out of the army, medical discharge after a tour in afghan, and there's a big void that needs filling in my life, so ive come full circle so to speak and im getting back into trials. Ordered a build from Tarty which should arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed, and im really excited about getting back into something i love but haven't been able to do for a long time.

Lets see if im still as shite as i remember ;)

• Like 4

Rode trials years ago in my early teens on a modified Saracen XC bike, then a DDG shooter(classy LOL). Joined the army after school and unfortunately drifted away from trials and bikes in general, always kept my hand in with magazines and the odd dvd here and there but pretty much stopped riding. Fast forward 11 n half years, im now out of the army, medical discharge after a tour in afghan, and there's a big void that needs filling in my life, so ive come full circle so to speak and im getting back into trials. Ordered a build from Tarty which should arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed, and im really excited about getting back into something i love but haven't been able to do for a long time.

Lets see if im still as shite as i remember ;)

another old un to join us in seniors next year then :)

• Like 1

Confidence, satisfaction and well, I feel alive after good ride. I feel happy. And even if I broke my leg I know - I will back to riding.

And something else: I realized that if there are something I can't do - it doesn't matter at all. Just need some practice.

Edited by clerictgm
  • Like 1