The Happy Thread

Duncy H

my new magnesium pedals arrived, i've turned into a weight weenie it would seem. although none of my important parts are super SL... more practical/lightest options... my new frame arrives next friday, aww yeah. also i packed in smoking, had 2 smokes last week and survived all weekend, monday/tuesday clean. my lungs don't burn when i exercise. yay

my new magnesium pedals arrived, i've turned into a weight weenie it would seem. although none of my important parts are super SL... more practical/lightest options... my new frame arrives next friday, aww yeah. also i packed in smoking, had 2 smokes last week and survived all weekend, monday/tuesday clean. my lungs don't burn when i exercise. yay

New frame? What you doing with that old frame that has brake mounts? ;p

I'd say anyone that goes to a party with their main interest being to ruin someones house is way more of a bellend than the host may be.
It's more than likely not his house if he's young, so it may be someone elses.... think on.

I've left sixth form.

Walked out and I feel a huge sense of relief.
Applied for 3 different apprenticeships at Rolls Royce, Craven College and Network Rail, and ringing my uncle to sort work in the mean time.
Added to that, I've sent in my CV and application to Halfords, my local bike shop, and sourcing work down at my dads for when I spend some time down there. And still looking. Anywhere so that Im not sat on my arse and will be doing something productive.

Things are finally going the way I want them to. Mum & Dad may not be happy, but I hope that changes when they see Im finally doing something I enjoy and feel happier in myself.

• Like 5

I once tried to get in a house party just for the fun of it with some mates, apparently later that night some scumbags snuck in and started to trash the place, they got absolutely mullered by the other lads that were there.

I was very glad we failed to get in, sounded like a shit party anyway...

I've left sixth form.

Applied for 3 different apprenticeships at Rolls Royce, Craven College and Network Rail, and ringing my uncle to sort work in the mean time.
Added to that, I've sent in my CV and application to Halfords, my local bike shop, and sourcing work down at my dads for when I spend some time down there. And still looking. Anywhere so that Im not sat on my arse and will be doing something productive.

Things are finally going the way I want them to. Mum & Dad may not be happy, but I hope that changes when they see Im finally doing something I enjoy and feel happier in myself.

Good man. :) Sounds like the motivation you're getting when faced with fresh opportunities (not stuck in a classroom) is doing you good.

I've left sixth form.

Wish I had the guts to do that, my parents constantly decide to run my life.. what they say goes and if I did drop out they'd force me to beg to go back.

Good on you fella (Y)

Wish I had the guts to do that, my parents constantly decide to run my life.. what they say goes and if I did drop out they'd force me to beg to go back.

Good on you fella (Y)

I once tried to get in a house party just for the fun of it with some mates, apparently later that night some scumbags snuck in and started to trash the place, they got absolutely mullered by the other lads that were there.

I was very glad we failed to get in, sounded like a shit party anyway...

Good man. :) Sounds like the motivation you're getting when faced with fresh opportunities (not stuck in a classroom) is doing you good.

Cheers guys :)

Im not quite sure how they're going to react haha.

I think their main issue was that they thought I planned to sit around doing nothing until college in September, which is the very opposite of what I'm planning to do.

I was feeling so so depressed being in that place. Constant grief from teachers about my work, which was poor as I had no motivation to do it, and my mood overall was very very low.

Just felt like I was going nowhere and wasting my time. Shit school, no motivation, no money, shit mood = very down.

I can finally start enjoying myself. Going out to work, doing something I enjoy learning and new skills while I'm at it, and earning money. The experience also looks good from the college/rolls/network rails point of view, making me a more appealing prospect. The little bit of extra time I get to myself is a bonus too, but doing something I want to do outside of that time will make it far more enjoyable overall.

I've been dying to get a car sorted too, so this is a step in the right direction to affording one :P

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Interview went well (i think) have been offered a trial shift on Wednesday :D. Only been jobless 2 weeks and it suuuucks!

Ben

Trial shift went well this morning, only done 2 hours, but i got to grips with it really quickly and i think they liked me! Just gotta wait until tomorrow to see if i've got the job or not!

Ben

• Like 1

Just spoke to our landlord about shortening our lease so we can move upto the inlaws farm and he seemed alright with it. Been bricking it about ringing and speaking to him but I told him we don't want to leave him in the lurch and out of pocket as he's been great with us over the last couple of years.

Project pay debts off has begun!

• Like 1

Gonna be working at Costa Coffee, got f**ked over at my job at the pub, so happy i have some income again!

Ben

This is a genuine enquiry as I don't go to Costa...... I thought they made a big song and dance about having only trained baristas making the coffee there? Are you now going to be trained before you can make any coffee or did the trial shift cover it?

This is a genuine enquiry as I don't go to Costa...... I thought they made a big song and dance about having only trained baristas making the coffee there? Are you now going to be trained before you can make any coffee or did the trial shift cover it?

Define trained.

I sure Ben will learn on the job, how hard can it be?*

*Note, I am terrible at making coffee as I only drink tea!

Edited by AndrewEH1

Define trained.

I sure Ben will learn on the job, how hard can it be?*

*Note, I am terrible and making coffee as I only drink tea!

There's an art to making good coffee. You can get boringly in-depth about it from everything from pressures, brewing temperatures, ratios and a host of other things... My point is a 'proper' trained barista (as you might expect in a good place in Italy where it's held in fairly high esteem) is more than someone who just presses the espresso button but I was under the impression Costa liked to portray their coffee making staff as trained baristas (I could be wrong) so I assumed everyone would be sent off on a proper course or some equivalent.

P.S. If you're only a tea boy you can pipe down! :) I'll make you a decent coffee next time you're round and you can see just how achingly dull about it you can be.

Umm, i had some training on the trial shift, made a few coffees and generally learnt how to work the machine/till etc, i'd assume i'd get on the job training to "hone my skills". Looking forward to starting now!

Ben

Yeah I guess that's what'll happen. I just wondered if there was a rigid thing in structure where they sent you off on an official course. You could try an adopt the persona of an old uptight italian coffee maker and get annoyed at all the customers that ask for stupid hybrid coffee drinks. That's what I'd do. And if anyone ever asks for squirty cream just take your apron off, slam it on the counter and walk out! Maybe not on your first day though.

• Like 2

Umm, i had some training on the trial shift, made a few coffees and generally learnt how to work the machine/till etc, i'd assume i'd get on the job training to "hone my skills". Looking forward to starting now!

Ben

But the real question is...Do you get a certificate? Cause if you don't get one you're not fully trained. :wink: Edited by AndrewEH1