Simple maths questions people argue about

Danny00135

Yeh 92% is ridiculous, you can only hope that these statistics were done by someone who thought the answer was D!

Basically, 7 + (7/7) + (7x7) - 7

then the + and - 7 negate each other, therefore 0. All that's left is 1 + 49 = 50!

Boooom!

Thank god for Bidmas/Bodmas (Order of operations) ;)

I never understood Bidmas/Bodmas, but Im not very numerically inclined...

Well just so you know in future ;)

It's the maths order of operations that dictates what should be done first.

I was taught Bidmas - Brackets, Indices, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. (Least that's what I remember it too be)

Bodmas is the same but the O stands for something and I have no idea what right now.

Also, does anyone else hate it when Americans say Math?

Edited by showurcolours
  • Like 1

I guess the idea is to catch people out.

I get 50, again using BODMAS.

However, I would put forward the notion that it's the question that is badly written, not the people working out the answer.

No moron would write 7+7/7+7x7-7. That's idiotic.

The correct question should be 7+ (7/7) + (7x7) - 7

If written correctly, I doubt anywhere near the same percentage would get it wrong.

• Like 1

Really? Whilst I always say "maths", "math" is actually just as good a contraction of the word "mathematics" really, just truncates it rather than removing those oh-so-awkward fifth to tenth letters :rolleyes:

Well, Maths is an acronym but it's also a shorter version of mathematics. Math I guess would be acceptable as a short hand version if the term was mathematic.

MATHS=

Mathematical Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septonim.

Yeah, I've never even heard that term before!?

Surely the result of that 'equation' depends on the location / addition / lack of brackets?

No, Bidmas/bodmas is an order of operation, so it doesn't matter where the brackets are because the order you do them in is the same :)

Yeah, I get that - I just haven't ever heard that phrase before in my life (did A Level maths and engineering at uni)! I can't even remember having to work out a sum written in such a strange way either. Why not just use brackets? Then it all becomes obvious / common sense. (Obviously that is a rhetorical question.)