Concerning, at present, probably the most important topic of your life

1a2bcio8

in psychology this is called procrastination or dissonance reduction.

its the synapses in our brains that need neurotransmitters to keep us going on with our lifes.

if we didnt had that firewall we´d go nuts on the littlest things or get depressive forever.

so the brain is searching for a balance of its metabolism to keep itself healthy.

we push negative things away,out of sight-out of mind,and thats a big problem.

if there only was the same awards we get from the rest of life as i get from riding...

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

in psychology this is called procrastination or dissonance reduction.

its the synapses in our brains that need neurotransmitters to keep us going on with our lifes.

if we didnt had that firewall we´d go nuts on the littlest things or get depressive forever.

so the brain is searching for a balance of its metabolism to keep itself healthy.

we push negative things away,out of sight-out of mind,and thats a big problem.

if there only was the same awards we get from the rest of life as i get from riding...

Here's the thing though. When you properly feel love for those around you you act to protect them and that feeds back into your love. That shit feels good, dawg. It's just we have a culture of assuming the best pleasure is from gaining this or that 'thing' be it an object, status, etc. We're not very practised at gaining reward from compassion. I'm guilty of often finding my bike more interesting than other people :P but sometimes in relation to selflessness and my feelings for other people I get a different reward and it supersedes everything else.

• Like 3

very soon a mass of methane is going to be released that will in all probability kill almost everything on the planet if the guy is correct.

I know this won't matter when we're all dead, but if this is true I will happily give you away all my friends, gf and possessions.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Here are some questions, which if you could answer convincingly, would perhaps make me change my mind about giving away everything I own to you:

- Why isn't that methane being made use of?

- Why not mine it?

- We can't, or is there no methane?

- Why would governments (which are bad and govern sheeple, like us) not be concerned about everyone dying soon, including them?

- Do PM's, presidents have no self preservation instinct?

- If they're just mad with power, what use is power when they run around in anti-gas masks and we're all dead?

Sorry, this is so retarded I don't even know why I'm posting.

These are matters which usually interest people with too much time on their hands. Nothing better to do, so they grovel the internet, manipulate facts and connect them together when they have absolutely no correlation whatsoever. They arrive at absurd conclusions, which are then dressed in special words making everything sound real and dangerous.

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 2

These are matters which usually interest people with too much time on their hands. Nothing better to do, so they grovel the internet, manipulate facts and connect them together when they have absolutely no correlation whatsoever. They arrive at absurd conclusions, which are then dressed in special words making everything sound real and dangerous.

Absolutely yes.

right, well it has been established for a while that we are coming out of an ice age still, yes? therefore the ice caps will melt eventually, its inevitable. but the importance of our presence shouldn't be that we are accelerating the process. we should be doing everything in our power to either slow the whole process down or stop our planet changing. both of which will be virtually impossible with the likes of China and the US spouting out billions of tonnes of CO2 each year. so rather than fannying about blaming aeroplanes (chemtrails=bullshit i believe) and general transportation like cars, taxing their use to shit, it would be much better to move over to nuclear power. fission or fussion, either is fine. but one is a long way of being cost efficient (cant remember which, but MIT runs from it and wont see a return within 200 years lol). CO2 isnt the only factor by the way, its just one of the biggest contributing factors that seems to get all the media attention. IMO we should be getting onto hydrogen powered vehicles ASAP and looking at better aerodynamics, lower drag coefficients and outright banning high performance vehicles. but who wants to live in a world without ferraris and evos?

as said on the 1st page, if everyone does their bit. recycling, walking/cycling to the shops rather than driving. giving the super countries a kick in the arse, get them onto CHP for a short term solution etc. but isnt this the point of the UN? everyone has to conform to the rules. surely relooking at some of their current emission policies could see a dramatic change in the future. granted we all rely on everything being made in china, so it is easy to blame them for producing all the CO2 because we are too lazy to make our own products. but making things at home would be better in the sense that we wouldnt have to get things to be shipped from china, polluting around the globe. but we dont do this because it is cheaper to get it made there. everything always seems to come down to money. if the end users (us) were willing to pay more for british products, rather than getting things manufactured at whoever will do it for the lowest cost. again maybe we would start to see a change.

but as said before. there is very little point only some of us bothering to care. everyone needs to be made aware of the current state of the world and the ways to prevent it from deteriorating and acting upon them. i know they attempted to do that somewhat in geography at school. but i know for sure that my teachers didnt have a clue.

• Like 2

I know this won't matter when we're all dead, but if this is true I will happily give you away all my friends, gf and possessions.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Here are some questions, which if you could answer convincingly, would perhaps make me change my mind about giving away everything I own to you:

- Why not mine it?

- Why would governments (which are bad and govern sheeple, like us) not be concerned about everyone dying soon, including them?

- If they're just mad with power, what use is power when they run around in anti-gas masks and we're all dead?

Sorry, this is so retarded I don't even know why I'm posting.

Because it's essentially trapped in the ice. When the ice melts due to global warming it releases and not, presumably, in a way that it can be captured. Methane has a global warming effect in multiples of 10 over CO2. This is a feedback process that will get faster and faster. The more methane that is released the more the ice melts and the more methane gets released and so on.

- Why not mine it?

Because it is trapped in the ice.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Because our social system has been so shaped by greed and short-term gain that it's impossible for anyone to do anything less they risk their position within that system. Do not underestimate the power of greed and the type of denial it gives rise to. For instance, are you going to further investigate the points I've made? I may be talking nonsense but I may be indicating something important. Are you going to even take the small step to find out? In other words, if you're not doing anything about it in a small way do you expect those in power to do anything significant about it? Particularly when you consider the ties that people in government have to big business that profits from the 'dirty' energy sector.

Again, the power of denial is effective when one has a greedy concern for the short-term. Consider the fact that the government has allowed for fracking (capturing gas stored in crystalline structures under the ground) within the UK. This process injects, I believe, over 100 chemicals into the ground and ruins water (flammable tap water anyone?) and eco-systems, kills animals and makes people very ill or die. This has already been happening in America yet politicians have allowed it to begin to happen across the UK. They are putting themselves at risk. To some extent they have probably been duped by the propaganda of the various American and Canadian companies who are benefiting from this process.

Greed makes you crazy. It can create an obsessive interest in certain things such as power, money or whatever. It creates fear at losing what you have and hatred at others who get in the way of what you want. These are hardly emotions that promote rationality I think you'd agree?

Erich Fromm wrote in 'The Sane Society' how entire societies can be considered insane. Usually we define sanity according to what most people are doing and insane according to those in the fringes - who can't 'adjust' to societies demands - but sanity, if the term is properly used, refers to living in accord with your nature and promoting those parts of you that helps you see the world for how it is, feel content and doesn't interfere with those deep rooted human needs such as survival. I think it's the case that we are pretty insane. We're constantly waging and supporting wars, ignoring strong evidence about the perilous direction we're taking and generally distracting ourselves with various dead technologies that miss the more naturally important qualities found in human beings and our relations with them.

Your last sentence sounds like an attempt to convince yourself rather than anything else.

• Like 3

The point at which it happens is not inevitable. We can either choose to become informed and change our behaviour, extending life and its quality or maintain our course obsessing about superficial bullshit and be less happy for it.

but it will still affect our race eventually, regardless of what we do. dont know what you are getting at with the superficial stuff.

what im trying to say is that it could be 10 years, it could be 500 years, but eventually our ice caps will melt. the longer they take to melt the better chance our race has for survival

Edited by Ash-Kennard

Exactly, the sane thing to do is extend the period with which the environment fluctuates rather than shortening it.

The superficial things I'm referring to is ones pursuit of owning technology, cars, achieving status against a concern for the course of humanity which is, undoubtedly, a deeper and saner concern.

I'm not saying those things are bad within themselves but they are when they act to distract us from more pressing matters. I'm not advocating simply getting rid of technology or something like that but I do think it should exist within a balance of concern about other things.

Those are just some examples of superficiality over survival and sanity.

The disadvantage of the internet is that you can subconsciously search in favour of your argument. (I.e dismissing results which do not conform to what you want to hear)

This is why I tend to believe nothing on the Internet. Of course there are academic papers which hold valid research to prove or dismiss such things, however I simply don't care enough to read them.

At the end of the day not everyone is out to screw you over.

I'm not advocating simply getting rid of technology or something like that but I do think it should exist within a balance of concern about other things.

To turn it around slightly - with technology many big businesses have managed to cut air travel significantly due to advances such as video conferencing.

Email has reduced in post, saving transportation costs.

Technology has given us the means to store data electronically, reducing the need for paper.

If people don't pursue technology then those companies have no funding to help invest in greener Solutions which could help save the planet.

The disadvantage of the internet is that you can subconsciously search in favour of your argument. (I.e dismissing results which do not conform to what you want to hear)

This is why I tend to believe nothing on the Internet. Of course there are academic papers which hold valid research to prove or dismiss such things, however I simply don't care enough to read them.

At the end of the day not everyone is out to screw you over.

Well then, according to my definition, that type of apathetic disinterest suggests a form of insanity. No doubt you won't care. You probably will if global warming comes to fruition in the near future but then you obviously lack the imagination to recognise that.

If you'd read my previous statements you'd know I don't advocate a type of dogmatism and that reaching conclusions on these sorts of matters is a difficult process but because of their meaning eventually you need to take a leap of faith in one direction or the other. I've always spent time reading differing accounts and have, over the years, changed between differing viewpoints. However, there was a tipping point and I am much more inclined toward one side now as I have found the evidence more compelling. I am open to alternate viewpoints and I still read material that doesn't coincide with my viewpoints. Probably I'm not as open as I imagine but I like to think I do retain something of that quality.

You've not really addressed any of my points though. In fact, you've made stuff up about my method of understanding that isn't true.

And I never said everyone is out to screw you over.

I respect your opinions but if you don't mind, I won't go into too much detail, just ask some follow up questions.

- Why not mine it?

Because it is trapped in the ice.

Not a problem surely if they can mine CNG trapped in small pockets beneath the earth? It's done by injecting liquid to break up the pockets and release the gas.

[...]

[...]

[...]

Your reply to those points is just one: greed. Not good enough, sorry. You're essentially dumbing life down to one dimension and forgetting about everything else. This is why I ignore people who believe in conspiracies, they seem to find one answer for absolutely everything. How can you even say that? Perhaps there are some greedy people at power but you're saying ALL of them are greedy, or such a great number that those who aren't, are in the minority. Do you have any statistical evidence to prove your point (not just 3 articles which say someone completely irrelevant is greedy)? Probably not, because I doubt any research has been conducted into those fields. On that basis, the conclusion you drew has a high chance of being completely wrong.

You ask whether I took the time to find out - no, because the moment you start searching for "evidence" of what you're talking about, you finish up in the weird part of the internet where people arrive at ridiculous conclusions based on one small questionable fact. I'd consider a read if there was some research coming from places like Oxford uni or Yale, not some geek who's spent the last few years in his dungeon, afraid to get out. But obviously Oxford would never release a study on such a matter because it's probably funded by the chemtrail mafia and Release The Methane lobby.

You also wrote, if I understand correctly that if I didn't take the time to find out about this, people in power won't either. Really? They are PAID to find out, it's their job. My job is selling bikes. And when there's something new on the market I do find out about it, and sure as hell they should too, given that people in power have a huge number of advisers (all greedy I suppose).

Edited by Greetings

it isnt a conspiracy, it is a fact. and is inevitable...

Global warming is bullshit. Climate change is happening and has been happening since the earth first formed. No doubt we're having an effect on things but I would hazzard a guess that mother earth is old and wise enough to deal with things when they happen. If it results in the extinction of the human race, so be it; I won't be losing any sleep over it just yet.

I think we should be turning to alternative fuels and improving the efficiency of our transportation system due to (potentially?) reducing oil reserves and for sure everyone should be doing shitloads of wind tunnel testing to improve aerodynamic efficiency. Preferably at the University of Southampton wind tunnels®:P.

• Like 1

Global warming is bullshit. Climate change is happening and has been happening since the earth first formed. No doubt we're having an effect on things but I would hazzard a guess that mother earth is old and wise enough to deal with things when they happen. If it results in the extinction of the human race, so be it; I won't be losing any sleep over it just yet.

I think we should be turning to alternative fuels and improving the efficiency of our transportation system due to (potentially?) reducing oil reserves and for sure everyone should be doing shitloads of wind tunnel testing to improve aerodynamic efficiency. Preferably at the University of Southampton wind tunnels®:P.

shameless pug :P love it

in regards to the whole global warming/climate change thing. the world is getting hotter in general. but i do agree that some areas, the UK for example could be hit with severe cold. we are inline with canada on a globe, so makes sense. we have just gotten lucky so far

Not a problem surely if they can mine CNG trapped in small pockets beneath the earth? It's done by injecting liquid to break up the pockets and release the gas.

i have a feeling greenpeace would probably kick up a pretty big stink considering they are shitting themselves over polar bears and penguins even now.

but they are usually uneducated hippies that see animals as cute cuddly creatures. THEY ARE BEARS, THEY WILL EAT YOU. but if we did extract all that methane, how would it help other than speeding up the whole process?

Edited by Ash-Kennard

But that last sentence is an assumption based purely on your imagination :lol:

ie the earth is a complex system, inherently chaotic, like the butterfly effect small changes that happen now can affect the outcome drastically when you run time forward.

Edited by casualjoe

I have read most if this thread, but missed a few key things I think, however my question is;

Why not, if i have this right, mine all of the huge underground/underice methane and just turn it into fuel? It's the same thing the trucks and busses use right? And the exhaust fumes are H2O so it'll just rain and we're all good and not dead, for now anyway.

Also if I may add my own failry strange idea, extinsion has been happening since the dawn of time so why are we getting all pissy about it, I'd imagine the Dino's we'rent to happy either they just couldn't tell anyone... obviously.