uci live result

trialsiain

Still way more protection that trials rider has, almost every tree close to the track is wrapped and they don´t have to be half as accurate as trials riders. Also it´s completely up to them how fast they wanna go or where to put a foot down, in trials finals(not to mention superfinals) sections are do or die kind of thing, you either make it perfectly or you don´t make it at all, in some cases you don´t even have space to dab. This DH-trials comparsion is as inaccurate as it gets. I think trials riders deserve the respect just like downhillers, especially from people who have never even tried to get to that level of riding.

Yeah right, dh riders that have so much protection on them you cannot even see their skin, full face helmets and goggles are so much more hardcore...Yet they still have 10x more secured track than trials riders. What a pussies...

Haha. Goggles.... you know they're to keep mud out of their eyes so they can actually see. You know because they're going fast and mud gets in your eye so you can't really stop all the time. If trials riders moved more than 1mph i'm sure they'd use goggles or glasses.

I'd say it's par for the course wearing a full face helmet when racing DH and armour if you want it. It's a good idea, but at the same time they're not the ones complaining about getting hurt on the tracks, it's the trials riders who are. If they weren't so bizarrely obsessed with weight then i'm sure a trials rider could wear a full facer or protection if they so wished. I mean if they're worried about courses and their safety, why aren't they taking the necessary precautions? I mean these guys actively choose to use no visors and wear skin tight lycra so I guess I know the answer to my own question.

Maybe that is the core issue..... you say you can't see a DHers skin? Why do you want to? Personally I wish those trials boys would atleast throw on a bloody pair of shorts, who wants to look at someone crouched over all day in skin tight-leave-nothing-to-the-imagination-lycra slip around in a muddy field all day? Watching a trials round is like stumbling in to a weird fetish club.

Edited by Matthew62

I'd say it's par for the course wearing a full face helmet when racing DH and armour if you want it. It's a good idea, but at the same time they're not the ones complaining about getting hurt on the tracks, it's the trials riders who are. If they weren't so bizarrely obsessed with weight then i'm sure a trials rider could wear a full facer or protection if they so wished. I mena if they're worried about courses and their safety, why aren't they taking the necessary precautions? I mean these guys actively choose to use no visors and wear skin tight lycra so I guess I know the answer to my own question.

I rest my case.

your against trials comps from the beginning, there is no point in arguing with you i think he is trying to say.

Well, if he seriously needs explanation why trials riders don´t wear full face helmets, I don´t believe he has tried trials or even has a bike.

Edited by ghostrider88
  • Like 1

This topic needs to be closed.

Turning out that who ever thinks Gilles is a fanny is just having a moan. The very people who know the least about what goes on at comps, dare I say it bmxers (not to offend btw)

The main point and only point that neededs to be made is the organisation of the trial and no foresight about what the weather could do.

It was obvious from the Friday that it was going to turn into a mudd bath.

All they needed to do was to set it out on the flat hard standing areas there.

The warm up area was just as good as normal. But became muddy around it.

If it was dry sections would have been fine.

The thing I could use to put it into perspective for Matthew is something like Ali C's crash at Tartydays, when he badly damaged his foot. That was as a result of the wet log causing his tyre to slip. Yeah he knew it was dangerous, and he still did it, but he still had to live with the bad injury. If that happened to Kenny or Gilles, they would be swallowed up by the ranks of riders looking for glory, and might never return to the heights of their career. That would be extremely unfair, and I think it was the right thing to do, to abandon. Ali C is a great rider, and because his career came from his great street videos and unique riding, as well as comps, and that is why he still remains in the trial's worlds eye. When someone like Kenny or Gilles is injured, they don't have the fame from videos that Ali does, and comp riding doesn't leave room for different styles, only placing, so that could probably mean the end of their sponsorship, and potentially their income. That's only my opinion however. I still think his abandonment is because he can't win in mud with upside down handlebars, but still, the conditions were dangerous.

It certainly would have made a more powerful statement if the world champion decided not to start in an event because it sections were dangerous and unrideable. That being said, when your job and life is about being the best trials rider in the world, there is a lot of pressure to suck it up and compete anyway because someone else might see it as an opportunity to win after you bow out. Gilles didn't quit until he was out of first place which definitely takes away from what he was doing, but he still gave up a lot and as he said in his own statement, he's basically out of the running for the World Cup title now.

To those saying that this is just trials riders bitching about poor conditions, when virtually all of the top riders in the world say that the event was poorly run then you should probably clue in that it was. If it's wet and muddy at a DH event then you can ride slower. Try making a massive kicker with 1/10 of the speed it was designed for. Try making a gap that requires 100% power output when your rear tire can't get any traction.

this arguing is pointless

what we should do is think how we or UCI could make things better so everyone could be happy

imo first thing that needs to be sorted is judges, they get paid for being one but some of them dont even know all of the rules (its not all of the judges though, some of them are really good)

Hmmm, I seem to remember a world comp last year where it was absolutely chucking it down. There were sections involving what looked to me to be extremely slippy logs which I wouldn't have gone near in the wet. One rider fell early on and injured himself and still continued to ride despite the pain.

I think that about covers my point.

If that happened to Kenny or Gilles, they would be swallowed up by the ranks of riders looking for glory, and might never return to the heights of their career.

Kenny broke his wrist and he's coming back, Giaco's had to take a lot of time off because of his knee injuries (and still has sponsors) but is coming back and looks to be riding pretty well...

Is there any form of independent riders union or anything like that?

Kenny broke his wrist and he's coming back, Giaco's had to take a lot of time off because of his knee injuries (and still has sponsors) but is coming back and looks to be riding pretty well...

Is there any form of independent riders union or anything like that?

Just saying a bad bone break, like a femur, or a head injury could seriously damage their careers, or end them completely.

Just saying a bad bone break, like a femur, or a head injury could seriously damage their careers, or end them completely.

Naturally, I just meant in terms of the comparison you made to Ali breaking his foot - riders have had worse injuries than him but have still come back, and haven't lost their sponsors in their down-time which seemed to be something people had implied could happen. Similarly, Gilles suggested that not riding the finals could have made his sponsors drop him - unlikely...

Kenny broke his wrist out of his own stupidity ? He attempted to drop off the van with a flat rear tyre, not the same is it

I didn't say it was the same.

OK?

I am also aware that Giaco's knee troubles were nothing to do with dangerous sections, just to cover that base.

a few years ago it was the sections fault

he failed a gap but the gap was on very high obstacles and gravity did its work

he even told in some interview that the sections are getting too dangerous and its unnecessary to build so dangerous/high obstacles