uci live result

trialsiain

Gilles knew Vincent had won so he quit, he did try and get all riders not to ride in protest because he knew he would get beaten in the muddy conditions.

If he was protesting he should have refused to start.

Yeah, starting to ride makes no sense as it's just going to make it look like the actions of someone who knows they're not getting the result they want. For example, in this piece Abel says that:

The best way to protest in the face of those two big –and unfortunately usual- issues was taken by World Champion Gilles Coustellier. That was a measure I can only show support to.

If Abel is so moved by the situation he's done a big post on his own website about it, why didn't he do what Gilles did and stop riding? The only answer it can really be is that he thought he had a good chance of winning so he kept riding.

Yeah, starting to ride makes no sense as it's just going to make it look like the actions of someone who knows they're not getting the result they want. For example, in this piece Abel says that:

If Abel is so moved by the situation he's done a big post on his own website about it, why didn't he do what Gilles did and stop riding? The only answer it can really be is that he thought he had a good chance of winning so he kept riding.

You think Gilles is so stupid to get 8th place intead of 3rd and risk not winning overall world cup because he couldn´t win? That´s why I think it wasn´t the reason(or at least not the only reason). But I agree that most people continued to ride because of that, they were happy to be in the finals, but I´m sure if someone would injured himself like Kenny did last year they might rethink that. It stupid and shortsighted they didn´t support Gilles for whatever reason, because nobody seems to like what was going on there, yet Gilles is the only one to try to do something about it.

At the end of the day, Gilles was the one who spat the dummy out, and everybody else just got on with it and moaned afterwards. It's as if he only wants to ride in sunny non slippy and warm conditions so he can win

You think Gilles is so stupid to get 8th place intead of 3rd and risk not winning overall world cup because he couldn´t win? That´s why I think it wasn´t the reason(or at least not the only reason). But I agree that most people continued to ride because of that, they were happy to be in the finals, but I´m sure if someone would injured himself like Kenny did last year they might rethink that. It stupid and shortsighted they didn´t support Gilles for whatever reason, because nobody seems to like what was going on there, yet Gilles is the only one to try to do something about it.

I didn't say he was stupid anywhere - what I said was that I didn't understand why he didn't make some form of more official protest before the final started, rather than starting to ride then arbitrarily pulling out at some point. It undermines the whole point of his action by doing it because it just puts doubt into peoples minds - as people on here, OTN, FB, etc. show - as to whether it was really because he was unhappy with the comp itself or with how the results were going.

I didn't say he was stupid anywhere - what I said was that I didn't understand why he didn't make some form of more official protest before the final started, rather than starting to ride then arbitrarily pulling out at some point.

The sections were getting gradually worse with time? But if it was the real reason, we will never know. But what´s important is, do you think it was a good think he protested and direction of trials should be changed like Abel suggested or not? I say something should be done, if I were there I would feel suicidal for spending my time and money on event like this to watch such a parody. And super pissed if I was the rider, risking my health for nothing but some uci jersey.

But what I mean is that if the weather conditions are either the same or getting worse, you don't need to by Mystic Meg (apologies for the UK cultural reference :P) to work out that it's going to be "dangerous" to ride? People were saying from the day before that conditions were super bad and that the sections were almost "unrideable", so again it can't have been much of a surprise for Gilles to be cruising around sections then suddenly thinking "This is shit".

Regarding the last part of your post, if the weather was perfect they would still be "risking [their] health for nothing but some uci jersey" - that's all riding competitions is at the end of the day. Obviously people setting sections can try and reduce the chances of injury, but it must be fairly difficult for them to have to draw the line somewhere. This weekend seemed to just boil down to them not reacting to weather changes rather than the whole world being shit, as far as I can tell? Like if there hadn't been heavy rain it looks like it might have been a cool comp.

One thing I didn't understand was Abel's point about having some sort of 'checkpoint' type system in place? The whole premise of trials comps is that you have to ride a section, and you get a score for that section. Whether you fived it by forgetting how to pedal a bike at the start or by riding over a root before the finishing gate and going over the bars (I've done that before :P), it doesn't matter.

Comps could definitely be changed for the better though. As one example, the UCI Super Final system is a bit of a shambles, whereas it could be something really cool. Having watched the Sheffield Indoor mototrials round a few times, even when you've got guys who are noticeably better than everyone else it still keeps suspense high right until the very end of the comp thanks to their format, whereas last year there were times when the Super Final was essentially a formality in terms of deciding a winner.

Trials is a dangerous sport any one could fall and break an arm on a 4ft rock

The condition was the same all day.

Gilles and his brother both said they were not going to ride out of protest, but they then rocked up at the start.

So wait, riding bikes in the mud is dangerous? Fair enough if the organisation was bad but, being a pussy about riding in poor conditions is lame. The results make Gilles look pretty bad (again). It's no different not being able to cope with mud than not being able to ride a kicker.

• Like 1

So wait, riding bikes in the mud is dangerous? Fair enough if the organisation was bad but, being a pussy about riding in poor conditions is lame. The results make Gilles look pretty bad (again). It's no different not being able to cope with mud than not being able to ride a kicker.

wet logs at 3m height while your tires are covered with mud are quite dangerous yes

Having just read the Gilles comments, and to quote: "it wasn't trials but climbing"
and on Gilles's home page (regarding the partnership with La Sportiva) quote: "lasportiva the italian climbing equipment company"

I thought he'd have been in his element ;)

• Like 1

the harder the contest conditions,the more honourable the winning places,no?

i´ve seen unsponsored streetriders going at their limits in worse conditions,for fun!

this is why we are recognized as lycra gays in the bike world,top riders do the dying swan like a ballerina instead of man up theirselves.

saying that as a never-ever-pro-rider though,but its my way of seeing this...at least one could give his best,winner or not

at the end of the day its mor than enough money the guys are going home with in elite i´d guess

whats next,someone getting high insurance for his forward foot like one football guy did?

Edited by FamilyBiker

wet logs at 3m height while your tires are covered with mud are quite dangerous yes

I think you missed my point.

Man up ? If you cant ride it take 5 and let someone else have a go who maybe can do it in the conditions. The results show that there was only one section that only one person got through (and that was Gilles), just because you can't clean everything doesn't make it less valid a result as its the same rules for everyone. Just a different set of skills in the rain/mud.

If the organisation was bad then yes thats pretty shit for everyone, but to be honest I expect nothing less of a trials comp these days, and nothing else of the guy at the top.

• Like 2

I think you missed my point.

Man up ? If you cant ride it take 5 and let someone else have a go who maybe can do it in the conditions. The results show that there was only one section that only one person got through (and that was Gilles), just because you can't clean everything doesn't make it less valid a result as its the same rules for everyone. Just a different set of skills in the rain/mud.

If the organisation was bad then yes thats pretty shit for everyone, but to be honest I expect nothing less of a trials comp these days, and nothing else of the guy at the top.

I agree with you

but this time the problem was that a lot of stuff was impossible and everyone had to dab or try and crash

i think gilles had a fair point but went about it in the wrong way, he shouldn't have entered at all if he was going to make his point it makes him look a little stupid. but i do agree. these guys make a living off trials and a unsafe comp has a huge risk of a injury, people calling them pussys is just beyond i know for a fact i would not want to be 3+4 foot up on a muddy,wet log!!

i think gilles had a fair point but went about it in the wrong way, he shouldn't have entered at all if he was going to make his point it makes him look a little stupid. but i do agree. these guys make a living off trials and a unsafe comp has a huge risk of a injury, people calling them pussys is just beyond i know for a fact i would not want to be 3+4 foot up on a muddy,wet log!!

what makes trials riders so special? downhillers make a living by going 50mph down a hill between trees ? Trials is an extreme sport - deal with it, or if you get scared let someone else take the points and fair play to them.

• Like 1