GETcreative 2

1a2bcio8

I definitely have bigger ideas this year. Last year was just a street video from me, it wasn't creative at all but I had to make one anyway and the timing worked out pretty well with the comp.

I reckon everyone should keep their vids secret this year and all upload in the last week/few days.

Sorry I haven't created a proper detail of rules, etc. I started a new job the other day and have had a load of other stuff on so haven't had a good chance to give it attention. I think I have a day off on either Thursday or Friday so it will happen then.

Nick has made some good points though. I recommend taking note.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any ideas of ways to raise money or sponsorship for the 'pro' category as I cannot afford to contribute and this was the more difficult form of sponsorship to gain.

This may be me being a b*tch, but are the sponsored riders not sponsored already to do videos etc? They carry company names due to an already agreed sponsorship deal and are supposed to make videos and be in the public eye with their products?

If i was sponsored by a proper company i would think i was expected to enter a competition that gained so much attention last year.

Unsponsored riders are doing it for the love of it, or because it spur's them on to ride alone or more often. With very little hope of securing a top spot with the amount of unsponsored talent around.

I don't know its probably me, but yeah, thats my opinion.

Also would like to agree with Nick in every way, I entered the competition last year and it pushed my riding so far and made me try things i'd previously have ignored. The idea` of the competition is to broaden your personal skill set and look at what else your bike/self can actually do!

Glad to see it back, I'm in and so's jim >_<

Edited by Miss-Higgy

if i´d get my vid thats in the making finished within the entering time i´d be not doing it for being rewarded with free stuff,the pure creativity thing of the last comp was enough for me to think its worth it,i just had no clips or even a good cam ready at this time(not that i wouldnt take free stuff if i won some,but it doesnt need it as a motivation i think)

Edited by FamilyBiker

Sponsorship doesn't always mean much although obviously it depends on who you are within that category. An individual with 'sponsorship' may or may not be receiving parts; they may only be getting discounts. In other words, people in that category aren't necessarily getting lots in the first place which I think is meaningful to talk of prizes for those people. This is a smaller community than, say, BMX where the conversation would definitely be different.

Either way, the rationale behind prizes is to generate as much motivation as possible. Ideally it would be good to see people within both categories pushing themselves as much as possible, in part, toward the possibility of a prize. The emphasis is still more toward the novice category - therefore most of the prizes will be allocated there - but personally I want to see an incentive for all people in the sponsored category contained within the competition rather than outside it in the form of sponsors. I just think that, realistically, prizes will be a greater motivator in terms of working within the constraints of the competition.

This is my thinking anyway.

Sorry that I still haven't sorted anything more to do with the competition. My PC died in the week and I had to fix it this weekend and, yet again, I've been ill. Life can be a bit of a joke sometimes! The ball will get rolling soon though, I promise.

Are you sponsored?

if you describe "sponsored" as getting free stuff from companies,yes.

if you describe it as being good enough to be under contract and bound to make promotion and stuff,no.

if youd know about my riding,you´d not be thinking i´m counting as a sponsored rider anyways lol,i am just not "good" enough

sometimes its just knowing the right people and helping them out and get something in return.

and then its wanting to give something back without being supposed to do,thats why my vids will have trialmarkt.de and marinobike logos in them.

hope that makes sense

Edited by FamilyBiker

My only comment about changes would be how they are released. I felt like there was too long between first and last releases so just felt a bit like it wasn't really videos for the comp - just videos? I can't / haven't explained that well .

I think you should set up a YouTube/ Vimeo channel for the entries and have a one week upload / release period at the end of the filming time.

An explosion of videos head to head.

Upon further thinking I've developed some reservations about this approach. I still like it as an ideal but I'm concerned that it deadens the competition until the release period. One thing that I liked the idea of previously was that as videos were released it meant people pushed themselves more. Earlier releases were later motivators.

Any more suggestions/discussion about this matter would be appreciated! This is your competition after all :)

• Like 1

Could we try make people upload to youtube and vimeo when they submit?

I know it might be problematic but there always seems to be people that can't view a certain one and well, I just prefer watching them on vimeo!

I agree. It depends on how we proceed. I'm still waiting for feedback or debate about whether videos should be released by participants as we move toward the closing date or whether they should be released in one go after the closing date.

As we go along:

Pros - Keeps everything exciting, motivating, etc.

Cons - Disadvantages early entrants although that's their choice.

At the end:

Pros - Probably more exciting overall at the point of release.

Cons - Possibly deadens the comp until the end. We could possibly offset this by staggering information on prizes, etc. and request photos.

But yeah, if people can make suggestions arguments for what they want it would be helpful. I want to construct the comp according to what makes you lot happy so feedback is important.

I'd tend to lean toward releasing them at the end, maybe over the course of a release week, dropping a few each day., to me, If people work hard on creating something original,and interpreting the competition their own way and they submit it, I think it would allow people to simply copy, or one up the videos they've got to see early,sort of aiding people who aren't willing to think of their own ideas?

just my opinion anyway

As we go along.

I think all the pro's videos would be concentrated on and all the noobs videos would be missed (have less focus on).

Last years, "as we go along" method let us concentrate on each video, maybe 2 or 3 at most each day, and allowed us to evaluate and break each video down a little easier. All at the one time might create some sort of black hole which some less interesting but still very valid videos could fall into.

I watched every video that was uploaded last year, both pro and amateur. If they were all released at the same time there's no way I would sit down and watch hours of videos one after the other. As Ross said, watching a couple a night as they were released was far more satisfying and gave all the videos more exposure than they would otherwise have gained.

• Like 1

As we go fo sure! I would ramble about videos being missed blah blah blah. But everyone else just said it...

My other question is has anyone actually started on a vid yet? Or are we looking at extentions again? :P At this rate i'm going to miss all the good weather trying to think of something better than last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I really think extensions should NOT be allowed this year. Rules are rules and all that. I believe that there is enough time to go out and film a video, and there is certainly enough time to put something creative together, I felt that last year the results got dragged out as extensions galore were put in place, but this time it'd be nice for there to be a deadline people HAVE to stick to if they want to be in with a chance of winning.

With that in mind...people better get their ar*es out and start doing some creative stuff :)